PDA

View Full Version : keeping kids out of facebook

The_Hunter
02-02-2008, 10:34 AM
Ok i use internet explorer and want to stop kids logging onto facebook how do i do it

100%
02-02-2008, 11:38 AM
block through hosts file (it will affect all browsers)
http://www.overclock.net/faqs/44143-how-use-hosts-file-block-websites.html

Windows uses a HOSTS (located in %systemdrive%/windows/system32/drivers/etc) file to maintain a personal list of web addresses. Any time a request is made for a URL, the HOSTS file will be checked first. If a corresponding address is found you will be directed to that IP without first consulting a DNS Server. The original intent of this file was to define where sites exist; we will use it in this context to define where they don’t exist. Lets first look at a HOSTS file entry

127.0.0.1 localhost

This is the loopback address for your machine for those cases where an application needs to reference the local machine by IP address- the loopback address will always be valid. This entry should never be changed.

Now lets add an entry to block

127.0.0.1 www.yahoo.com (http://www.yahoo.com)

We are telling our local machine that Yahoo actually exists on the local machine. Any request for www.yahoo.com (http://www.yahoo.com) will be directed to the local machine and therefore effectively blocked. You could also use the IP of another website if you wanted to be "creative".

Let’s take a closer look at a URL http://www.yahoo.com

* http:// defines the transfer protocol in this case Hyper Text Transport Protocol; this is the standard for viewing websites. Another common protocol is ftp:// for file transfer.
* www is the host
* facebook is the domain
* .com is further classified as the TLD (Top Level Domain)

A HOSTS file entry will disregard the transfer protocol so it isn’t needed. However, the host does play an important role. A webmaster may choose to define a host for his/her website. “WWW” has become the universal standard for the default host. It is just as common to define a site with no host as well. This means that as far as DNS goes www.facebook.com (http://www.facebook.com) & facebook.com are two totally different sites, even though they resolve to the same place. Because of this to effectively block the site, you must also block all hosts. This would usually mean:

127.0.0.1 facebook.com

127.0.0.1 www.facebook.com

or

quicky
1. Load your Internet explorer
2. Click Tools
3. Click Internet Options
4. Click the Privacy tab
5. Under the Privacy window, Click Sites
6. Type in the site address that you want to Block and Click OK.

Note that you need to type in all forms of of a site. For example, if you add yahoo.com to your restricted site list you should write 3 entries for yahoo.com

yahoo.com
www.yahoo.com (http://www.yahoo.com)
http://www.yahoo.com

Something Else
02-02-2008, 12:46 PM
And hope they don't know how to install firefox. :eyebrows:

The_Hunter
02-03-2008, 02:33 AM
couldnt work out how to do first option and second one didnt work could still log to facebook

Would it be possible for someone to make the file so i could just put it into directory i would greatly appreciate it if you could, i just dont understand what has to been done

peat moss
02-03-2008, 04:48 PM
How about a program like net nanny but kids are pretty smart they'll change the password .

Demigod
02-03-2008, 05:40 PM
couldnt work out how to do first option and second one didnt work could still log to facebook

Would it be possible for someone to make the file so i could just put it into directory i would greatly appreciate it if you could, i just dont understand what has to been done

Are you using Windows XP? If so, go to C:/windows/system32/drivers/etc.

C:/ stands in for whichever drive your Windows is installed on.

There should be a HOST file. Open it using notepad and add these entries:

127.0.0.1 facebook.com

100%
02-03-2008, 06:30 PM
See attachment.
but i suggest you open your hosts file, and see if it has any other items in there.

the attached one looks like this

# Copyright (c) 1993-2006 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost
::1 localhost

127.0.0.1 facebook.com
so basically you can block any site or ads from sites this way

peat moss
02-03-2008, 08:12 PM
I'm kinnda tossed about this thread as I have 3 children that use the net , banning them from facebook on your home computer just opens up a can of worms . They'll just migrate to friends homes that have no safeguards .

I found that using the computer in a central location like the kitchen or living room is a good start , no computer in their bedrooms . Communication is a good way to explain that there's lurkers or pedophiles on the net and not all are named Suzy I'm 12 .

I used a key logger once just to show the kids Daddy see's everything , I deleted it after a few days but the thought was there . Would I read their diaries ? Of course not but you sometimes have to go to extremes to get your point across .

@Hunter , you did n't mention their ages but mine where young , 6,7,11 .

The_Hunter
02-03-2008, 09:07 PM
these are 13,17,19 its only place they go and sick of all the shit they down load onto my computer, there is another computer to use just want them off mine.

peat moss
02-03-2008, 09:34 PM
these are 13,17,19 its only place they go and sick of all the shit they down load onto my computer, there is another computer to use just want them off mine.

You sound just like I did ! :lol: I got sick of the kids friends fuking up mine . When they discovered I could change their passwords by using the keylogger all the shit stopped . :D

You just need a password or utility to lock them out .

The_Hunter
02-03-2008, 10:23 PM
Thank you everyone mainly 100% it works great. My computer has been stuffed up so many times and last time got to point had to reformat so no more.

100%
02-04-2008, 09:11 AM
I'm kinnda tossed about this thread as I have 3 children that use the net , banning them from facebook on your home computer just opens up a can of worms . They'll just migrate to friends homes that have no safeguards .

I found that using the computer in a central location like the kitchen or living room is a good start , no computer in their bedrooms . Communication is a good way to explain that there's lurkers or pedophiles on the net and not all are named Suzy I'm 12 .

I used a key logger once just to show the kids Daddy see's everything , I deleted it after a few days but the thought was there . Would I read their diaries ? Of course not but you sometimes have to go to extremes to get your point across .

good point, will keep in mind, for when mine discovers the web.

@hunter -- no problem

Barbarossa
02-04-2008, 02:35 PM
Ok i use internet explorer and want to stop kids logging onto facebook how do i do it

It sounds like you want to keep them off your PC entirely. Password protecting your login would be the best thing.

tesco
02-04-2008, 11:39 PM
Add a password to your user account on the computer and remove all other user accounts.
Then just lock it (windows key+l) when you leave the room (if you want to leave it on i mean).

athenaesword
02-06-2008, 10:57 AM
if ur kid's 19 and u still have to resort to such methods to keep him off the computer i think he needs to grow up really quickly lol

btw that key logger idea's kinda cool i think i'll use that next time. just to see the look on their faces haha. that'll be a whole lot more fun than puttin a password on heh.

Smith
02-06-2008, 09:34 PM
Good luck keeping a 17 and 19 year old off facebait..

peat moss
02-07-2008, 03:41 AM
if ur kid's 19 and u still have to resort to such methods to keep him off the computer i think he needs to grow up really quickly lol

btw that key logger idea's kinda cool i think i'll use that next time. just to see the look on their faces haha. that'll be a whole lot more fun than puttin a password on heh.

Be prepared to find more than you bargained for, I was n't . A good keylogger will show screen shots , passwords and whole MSN chat screen shots !

Sometimes what you don't know is a real blessing ! :pinch:

lee551
02-07-2008, 06:55 PM
man i'm glad some of you weren't *my* parents. i would have lost a lot of trust with them if i found out they went as far as to keylog what i was doing with my computer. i'm sure i'll completely be on the opposite side if i ever have a kid, but it just seems invasive to read entire chat logs etc. either way, the achieved effect was there i bet: you're my kid, i can make things MUCH worse, i OWN you. :lol: as a scare-tactic or example? ok. parenting method? fucked.