PDA

View Full Version : Linux Want to start with Linux...

absonic
02-02-2008, 02:29 PM
I'm using Windows for 4 years now. It suites my needs, but stories of almost all people who use Linux that it is way better poked my curiosity, and i just want to try it...

So my questin is - what distribution is most user friendly for a n00b, a beginner, is it harder to use than MS WINDOWS, uhm, what are the advantages and what are the bad sides? Some special HIGH hardwares requirements or?...

Tnx for the replies in advance :w00t::dabs:

fstokebanget
02-02-2008, 02:50 PM
I suggest you start with Ubuntu

Giveaway
02-02-2008, 05:10 PM
I suggest you start with Ubuntu
good advice.
ubuntu is really simple and good
go for it

zapjb
02-03-2008, 01:26 AM
PCLinuxOS ftw! :01: See my sig.

elektROnik
02-05-2008, 11:11 AM
ubuntu...

DKre8ive1
02-07-2008, 09:46 AM
Another for ubuntu and since it has the synaptic application manger installing things becomes a lot easier if you are used to the add and remove programs in windows.

They also have a live cd version so you can try it without having to install it on your harddrive. :)

Artemis
02-11-2008, 08:38 AM
most modern distro's now come with a LiveCD capability so that you can insert the disc then boot the O/S directly into the computers memory without installation. As zap said for new users PCLOS is one of the simplest to set up, but out of them all ubuntu combines ease of use and alot of support forums, the one thing that maybe tough about ubuntu is the desktop environment Gnome is unusual if you come from a Windows background but then there is Kubuntu with the KDE desktop manager . To get a better idea have a look at
www.distrowatch.com they list and rate all the latest Linux distributions.

zapjb
02-12-2008, 12:42 AM
The PCLOS user forum is vastly more Linux n00b friendly than the billionaires' distro.

cow_dung
02-12-2008, 01:59 AM
get ubuntu 7.10, very easy to use, use about 10gb for it
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

Morer
02-18-2008, 12:43 AM
If you're using linux for the first time I suggest you go through some tutorial / read some website where they explain the structure of unix and the file structure of linux and how things work in linux (like how devices are treated as files and other stuff). Also learn the useful commands and keyboard shortcuts and check whether any hardware component you have is incompatible/has some issues before going ahead with the install. This will save you from a lot of frustration.

As per which distro to get, I tried several (incl. PCLinuxOS 2007) and I'm now very happy with ubuntu 7.10. Also, if you run into any kind of problem or need to know how to install a specific software, it's very likely that you'll find the solution by searching google/ubuntu forums or asking in the #ubuntu IRC chat room on irc.freenode.net (when it isnt too hectic)

zapjb
02-18-2008, 08:14 PM
I've pretty much restrained my pen here so far. But not any more.

I'm a firm believer that any Linux is better than no Linux.

But switching from one billionaire backed OS to another is asinine.

Sure Canonical is better than M$.

But implementation of features suggested by the user base is almost as much out of touch.

Want direct input to your OS developement? If you picked Ubuntu, sorry you're SOL. :noes:

waulu
02-26-2008, 09:21 PM
Ubuntu has a big community

tusks
02-26-2008, 10:56 PM
zapjb is somewhat right. Ubuntu does have a large community of followers which makes support really easy for the beginner but I personally didn't like it for several reasons. Anyways, I'd recommend SuSE. I don't care what everyone is saying about this deal with Microsoft, I still loved SuSE 10.1. PCLinuxOS looks interesting, I'd give it a shot if I was a beginner. Best thing to do is try a few distros and see which one you like the most.

yozshura
02-26-2008, 11:48 PM
I'd advise not to try SuSE. It seems easy to use at the first sight with the centralized YaST control center, but if Yast goes crazy ... it's quite an unpleasant experience to troubleshoot it. Otherwise Yast is slow and resource consuming.

Just did a update on openSUSE 10.3 yesterday and kwin just didn't load. I was like wtf, where all my windows go ...

Final word is go for Ubuntu if you are absolute new to Linux.

zapjb
02-27-2008, 01:39 AM
PCLOS is easier & faster than Ubuntu with better hardware recognition.

DasFox
02-27-2008, 12:13 PM
Check out Distrowatch if you don't know it: http://distrowatch.com/

Start with Ubuntu, and later check some others out too.

I wrote this post on Linux:
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-linux-section-54/t-linux-new-users-281046

It's across quite a few PC forums, I recently updated the links on it, and they should all be working.

zapjb
02-27-2008, 01:05 PM
Ok I'm putting my foot down. All these "start with Ubuntu" posts are making me sick. :sick:

PCLinuxOS is superior in most every way to Ubuntu.

And the PCLOS forum is by far Linux n00b friendlier. :01:

DasFox
02-27-2008, 01:30 PM
Ok I'm putting my foot down. All these "start with Ubuntu" posts are making me sick. :sick:

And the PCLOS forum is by far Linux n00b friendlier. :01:

OK OK don't bite my head off, start with PCLinuxOS then, hey it's #1 at distrowatch right now too.

Nice kitty, nice kitty... :O

DefX
02-27-2008, 08:04 PM

Ok, I'll bite. In not so many words, how is PCLinuxOS superior to Ubuntu in many ways?

dnero73
02-27-2008, 08:40 PM
PCLinuxOS looks pretty good i will try it

zapjb
02-28-2008, 02:19 AM

Ok, I'll bite. In not so many words, how is PCLinuxOS superior to Ubuntu in many ways?
Compare the OS & forums for yourself. That's how I decided. And I did start with Ubuntu.

DasFox
02-28-2008, 11:30 AM
The very first time I tried Linux was Phatlinux.

http://phatlinux.com/

I was like WOOO COOL

After that I'm not sure what real distro I installed and used. It was either RH, Mandrake, or Suse.

I don't run Linux anymore, but I plan to get back into it, but I'll most likely run a bunch of them in VMware Workstation.

zapjb
02-28-2008, 01:33 PM
Imo running/installing Linux inside of M$ Windows defeats most of the benefits of running Linux natively. Namely security, stability & lower hardware requirements.

raspberry1331
03-05-2008, 12:52 PM
Ubuntu is the ugliest distro ever, I'm sick from their default desktop. Not that it's not easy to change:-).

saqib
03-05-2008, 01:48 PM
the better option ll b to start with live destro of any popular flavour .

pifpaf
04-04-2008, 11:55 PM
Ubuntu is the ugliest distro ever, I'm sick from their default desktop. Not that it's not easy to change:-).

i agree :D... i use kubuntu (KDE enviroment).

kloot
04-05-2008, 12:05 PM

I hate KDE! :o I much prefer Gnome, or even Xfce (currently running) :)

pifpaf
04-10-2008, 01:36 PM

xfce is nice too.:)

Xhester
04-13-2008, 01:26 AM

xfce is nice too.:)

KDE is good but Gnome is easyer,but i like xfce too :D

C.H.A.O.S
05-26-2008, 12:00 PM
I'm sure that the thread owner is confused, he lost the way between all these opinions and recomendations. I'm just Linux begginer and I tried alot of distribuions but I was very comfort with PCLinuxOS it is very easy and fast too.

soldier83
11-07-2008, 11:34 PM
I started with ubuntu. Since then I have been using it without any problem. Have no idea about other distro . I would highly recommend to start with ubuntu. verry easy to install applications and easy to configure.

misteg
11-18-2008, 03:26 PM
I'd recommend Ubuntu too. But if you're just looking to fiddle about, try running it in under VMWare for a while. You can try the desktop or server versions, running full installs or you could download and run a pre-built appliance. You can also try the cut down JeOS version that is designed to run a server edition inside a virtual environment:

http://www.ubuntu.com/products/whatisubuntu/serveredition/jeos

Going down the VMWare path allows you to bugger it up a few times and start again without too much hassle.

Hope that helps.

Snee
11-21-2008, 11:18 PM
I bet he's been waiting since february, just to hear that checking up on this thread ever so often :dabs:

Or not.

And also: DSL and/or knoppix ftw.

20legend
01-17-2009, 12:06 PM
just safe.

Lucifer9999
01-25-2009, 11:21 AM
i dislike ubuntu very much!!! there are a lot of reasons for that!!! i would recommand for the beginners mandriva fedora or opensuse!!!