PDA

View Full Version : Use your real nick

jericospeedy
02-02-2008, 04:06 PM
How's this for a trend to promote? Use the same nickname on FST that you use in private communities, and be proud of both.

First of all, many people have FST accounts, and many interesting people are active here - using FST does not make you a newb.

Second, in no exaggeration trading has become a plague on the private community scene.

So stop sneaking around, and use one nick. This is my main nick, and I go by 'speed' also. I'm proud of the accounts I have on all communities I sign up for.

The current trend is good for no one, and its a lot of wasted energy. I'll offer two words of advice to anyone here, and anyone who wishes to share it with others. These will get you anywhere you want to go, in the least amount of time, for the greatest amount of reward.

1) Contribute to every community you are part of, in such a way to improve the interests of that community. Be a good person.
2) When you are part of a private community, respect its privacy by keeping all that happens within the site. Be secure.

yayyyyyy
02-02-2008, 04:26 PM
no way :P

FatBob
02-02-2008, 04:33 PM
are you a member of x264 ? can i send you an invite . use the same nick too and see what happens

Horatiu
02-02-2008, 04:36 PM
What? :blink:

SCR
02-02-2008, 04:39 PM
Interesting idea but in order to have the courage to use the same nick on FST and on the trackers u are in they must have nothing to hyde and respect the tracker`s rules .. and 95%(maybe more) doesn`t respect these rules .
So bottom line some break these rules by trading account`s other`s invites ,and other make public giveaways without any consideration for what the RULES say.
And off course there are some trackers that if they see your nick here and they see the same nick on their tracker they ban you.

The Gladiator
02-02-2008, 04:39 PM
are you a member of x264 ? can i send you an invite . use the same nick too and see what happens

:shifty::yup:

DanielleD87
02-02-2008, 04:40 PM
i am, i am!

well, i use different nicks on different sites but anyone who is anyone knows who I am regardless what nick I use.

edit:
<-- this is my main login on most sites so both of my nicks are already listed in one place. like it matters though *shrugs*

jericospeedy
02-02-2008, 04:42 PM
FatBob, I'm already a member of x264, and I use the same nick.

Nemrod
02-02-2008, 04:42 PM
Yeah... In a perfect world.

maddoxro
02-02-2008, 04:43 PM
90 % i use the same nick.
other 10 % are x264 ( grrrr ), SCC (GRRRR) :D ,etc..

Night0wl
02-02-2008, 04:46 PM

Just wait until one of the fuckup admins there see this then. You can't even reason with them. The one that banned me (because of the same nick here and there) even had the nerve to offer me an invite to join again if I deleted my account here.

fazzy07
02-02-2008, 04:51 PM
I use same nick here and some other private trackers and didnt had much problem accept that one incidence with SCC but its better if you have different nicks as some tracker staff are plain idiots who think everyone is lunatic like them

Vitality
02-02-2008, 04:54 PM

Just wait until one of the fuckup admins there see this then. You can't even reason with them. The one that banned me (because of the same nick here and there) even had the nerve to offer me an invite to join again if I deleted my account here.

lol:lol:

Night0wl
02-02-2008, 04:57 PM
I thought about changing my nick here to my preferred nick on sites, but after that x264 incident, no way even if I am sure none of the top sites will do this.

It's simply creating unnecessary headaches doing so.

peat moss
02-02-2008, 05:05 PM
I usually have the same nick cause I can't remember the passwords let alone the user names . I format a lot to try different XP configs so its easier to use the same one .

mrnobody
02-02-2008, 05:21 PM
same nick here

but sometime it generates unwanted attention :mellow:

@OP, speed....of light?

peat moss
02-02-2008, 05:23 PM
same nick here

but sometime same nick gets unwanted attention :mellow:

Or its already in use , I'm thinking what not possible . :lol: I try to use the same avatar when I can too .

mrnobody
02-02-2008, 05:37 PM
same nick here

but sometime same nick gets unwanted attention :mellow:

Or its already in use , I'm thinking what not possible . :lol: I try to use the same avatar when I can too .

never had that problem

but it would suck to see someone walk around with my nick

coz i would have to share w/e reputation he generates using my nick :mellow:

beside, if u use same nick, you can just get banned simply because a staffer noticed u are FST member :lol:, based on rumor or even worst for absolutely nothing

Meanwhile, say someone hates u from FST and notices u over some other tracker....he will always have something bad to say about u...and the sucking part is u dunno who is he coz he is using different nick over there :pinch:

The best part of using same nick is over closed community. When u are new, u get bunch of welcome pms from friends which is sexay :happy:

kaffeine
02-02-2008, 06:20 PM
i've thought about it, but i've read about many who had their accounts disabled at some trackers just because they were members in FST (people I trust, like Blue_Skies, so I know they're not making it up).

And as Blue_Skies says: "It's simply creating unnecessary headaches doing so"

scrambler
02-02-2008, 06:32 PM
i have a few nicks thats similar but wouldnt want to use the same nick everywhere. not because i have something to hide as i dont, but that i dont want people to know how much i download etc.

rondo
02-02-2008, 06:42 PM
I use the same nick and pass, my memory isnt as good as it was a few years ago...

:)

puckface
02-02-2008, 07:00 PM
I dont even use the same nick from torrent site to torrent site, if you do, thats just stupid. If you use the same nick, one can assume with some certainty that you also use the same password.. accounts easily stolen, and all because you want to show off to people from site to site that you are a part of the "community", so they know who you are?

ha, if you were part of something and you actually cared, you wouldn't give a shit if people knew who you were or not.

lukee
02-02-2008, 07:07 PM
I always use the same nick, just with different passwords. i have nothing to worry about because i don't give my invites to the public, only to friends, how they are supposed to be given away. ;)

gan.nez
02-02-2008, 07:44 PM
on which trackers would it be better not to use the same nickname; x264, SCC..... some others?

Artemis
02-02-2008, 09:10 PM
Speed it is a good point you make , I notice the traders recoiling in horror though :lol: I do use different nicks on trackers but like bunny anyone who wants to knows me anyway, but there is a certain amount of security in being anonymous to those who you don't want to know what communities you are apart of too....
My friends know me from site to site, staff know me too so there is no reason to hide, but to the others I would just as soon remain anonymous........

jonny81985
02-02-2008, 09:23 PM
I use the same nick cuz i got nothing to hide :)

v3nger
02-02-2008, 11:40 PM
I use different nicks on all my sites, mainly for a change. I usually have pretty similar avatars though.

aysomc
02-02-2008, 11:45 PM
i have no problem with any staff or people i know knowing what my real name is that i use on all other sites but there are way too many douchebags around here that dont need to know it.

monk3y
02-02-2008, 11:50 PM
i think it's not smart by looking on the security aspect, once they reveal your password on one site ( tracker, fst, mail, etc ) they have it all and it's a lot easier remembering different easy user names then different hard passwords.

oh and staff on the site i use knows my nick here ( almost everybody )

SAM
02-02-2008, 11:52 PM
i tried to use my same nick on most trackers but some doesn't like the idea that you are a fst member. but actually as long as you are not a trader you have nothing to worry about except in some trackers like bitmetv or x264.

C-mos
02-02-2008, 11:57 PM
I use the same nick and pass, my memory isnt as good as it was a few years ago...

:)

that is not very wise ..
if someday u will make a giveaway to someone ...that someone will probably try to f..k U
on the other sites and still your accounts :)..:)

ghurka
02-03-2008, 12:14 AM
I am who I am and I like others to know who I am. Being an FST member does not make me a bad person and its not up to any tracker to dictate to me which other sites I can belong to....if they do they can fuck off.

I tend to associate more with those that have just 1 or 2 nicks so I can recognise them at different sites. For me too many nicks invariably means you have something to hide....or just multiple personalities :D

pro267
02-03-2008, 12:27 AM
I'm using a different user name here than on trackers (where I mostly use the same nick on 90% of them). The reason I have a different name here is that when I joined this forum I thought that this was just another forum to check out for a couple of weeks and leave afterwards, never expected to stay here so I used some crappy name. If there was an easy way to change the user name I would have probably done it already.

I've never hidden my user name on trackers, and in fact some people who know me a little better know my user name on the trackers as well. If anyone cares to know he's welcome to PM me and if it's in any way their business (e.g. tracker staff or friends here or on the trackers) I'll be happy to tell them my user name.

TheFoX
02-03-2008, 12:42 AM
I use one of several names that I have been associated with, over the years. While transparency has some benefits, it also has some drawbacks. Using the same name everywhere can become a security issue.

It's a matter of choice at the end of the day, and how we choose to show ourselves to the world.

Many know me as someone else, yet that someone else is also someone else as well. The many layers that we use to protect who we really are, are sometimes vital.

This cloak to disguise us is a benefit, as well as a bane. The benefit is anonymity, yet the bane is the same thing. There are people here who flout the very meaning of community, yet they can get away with it because of the cloak.

Genuine members here, regardless of whether they use their common name, or an alias, do show through though. They are marked by the quality of their thought, which is reflected in the quality of their community spirit.

What is a name, at the end of the day?

1000possibleclaws
02-03-2008, 01:56 AM
How's this for a trend to promote? Use the same nickname on FST that you use in private communities, and be proud of both.

First of all, many people have FST accounts, and many interesting people are active here - using FST does not make you a newb.

Second, in no exaggeration trading has become a plague on the private community scene.

So stop sneaking around, and use one nick. This is my main nick, and I go by 'speed' also. I'm proud of the accounts I have on all communities I sign up for.

The current trend is good for no one, and its a lot of wasted energy. I'll offer two words of advice to anyone here, and anyone who wishes to share it with others. These will get you anywhere you want to go, in the least amount of time, for the greatest amount of reward.

1) Contribute to every community you are part of, in such a way to improve the interests of that community. Be a good person.
2) When you are part of a private community, respect its privacy by keeping all that happens within the site. Be secure.

says the person with 8 posts..

Unstable1
02-03-2008, 02:23 AM
How's this for a trend to promote? Use the same nickname on FST that you use in private communities

hahahahahahaha! no way, josè!!

BrownWren
02-03-2008, 03:15 AM
How's this for a trend to promote? Use the same nickname on FST that you use in private communities

hahahahahahaha! no way, josè!!

Seconds that .... To much of a security issue. Forum is open to anyone. So not going to let just anyone know who I am. :)

Torture_Artist
02-03-2008, 03:20 AM

LED_ZEP1101
02-03-2008, 05:16 AM
indeed x246 is very strict

Artemis
02-03-2008, 05:19 AM
says the person with 8 posts..

I don't think you realise just who jerichospeedy is :lol::lol::whistling

Dark Archon
02-03-2008, 05:21 AM
really doenst matter? if you are a good member people will get to know you very quickly anywayz

sear
02-03-2008, 07:31 AM
I like using the same name as it helps me get to know folks across lots of different trackers and I like having the same identity. But I'm also conscious of the security issue and go out of my way to use extremely complicated passwords.

pandabear
02-03-2008, 08:07 AM
I use same nick everywhere but here. I don't know why, but i just do. It allows you to talk more freely about sites, without others giving you shit about it. Eg. If i wanted to critise XYZ tracker, and their admin was here and saw that, i could find myself with an disabled account. A lot of sites staff are just like that. All the same a few know who i am , and if you need to know all you gotta do is ask.

Zaxx
02-03-2008, 08:51 AM
I'll stick to separate names me thinks...:yup:

monk3y
02-03-2008, 08:54 AM
says the person with 8 posts.. I don't think you realise just who jerichospeedy is :lol::lol::whistling

+1 hh

Artemis
02-03-2008, 08:54 AM
But I'm also conscious of the security issue and go out of my way to use extremely complicated passwords.

of course sear does get his extremely complicated passwords from nursery rhyme books :naughty:

th0r
02-03-2008, 10:41 AM
seems like everywhere i go people know who i am in ways good or bad ;/

kadake
02-03-2008, 12:39 PM
i have lots of different names , and 8-10 characters random generated passwords, also different avatars.

use to have same, but a site got hacked and had the possibility of jumping on any of my other sites.

Tip , get roboform ! , i swear by it now

lucky007
02-03-2008, 12:50 PM
Bitsoup is my one and only private site I use, but if I sign up for another site i'de use the same nick.
I don't trade or hit and run, I'm proud of my torrents and I respect the seed!