PDA

View Full Version : Overclocking

volskid2002
07-30-2003, 10:45 PM
I am a pretty serious gamer and was wondering if I should overclock my processor? Currently I am running a AMD Athlon 1Ghz. At overclockers.com it said that my procssor average overclock speed was 1.2Ghz, if I overlcock to this will I get a noticeable difference or should I just stay with the 1Ghz until I get my newer computer and also for overclocking do I just go to BIOS and change the FSB to whatever will make it 1.2Ghz?

aintgottime
07-30-2003, 11:12 PM
As long as you've got enough cooling it stick it up 1.3 :D. I've had mine running at that for weeks and its great!

volskid2002
07-30-2003, 11:37 PM
I haven't added any fans since I bought it so it only has factory fans, so should I buy some fans or what?

aintgottime
07-31-2003, 01:29 AM
What temperatures are you running at?

shadow master
07-31-2003, 03:24 AM
if you overclock you need to be able to cool the processor.
With that aside its a great idea, as long as you dont overclock your PCI and AGP bus speeds or your memory.

Terminal Boredom
07-31-2003, 06:22 AM
You can overclock the pci bus a little bit with no ill effects. Just 25 Mhz or so. Leave the AGP bus alone tho, as it gets very wonky if changed. It f----s up the PLL used for sync. You can oc the FSB with SoftFSB as long as you have adequate cooling. Take it as high as it'll run, then back down until it is stable.

metalichris
07-31-2003, 09:09 AM
I have a 2.0 gigahert computer but its a celeron. I'm wanting to get a better computer with a Pentium 4 processor. I heard you can tell a big difference between a celeron and a regular Pentium 4. Is there a big difference and if so where can I get a good price for one.

3rd gen noob
07-31-2003, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by metalichris@31 July 2003 - 10:09
I have a 2.0 gigahert computer but its a celeron. I'm wanting to get a better computer with a Pentium 4 processor. I heard you can tell a big difference between a celeron and a regular Pentium 4. Is there a big difference and if so where can I get a good price for one.
short answer: yes, there is a very noticable difference between a pentium chip and a celeron chip

looking for good prices depends upon where you live.

there is a pinned topic at the top of the hardware section containing a good list of retailers in the uk/us etc...

remember that you will probably need a new board if you decide to get a new cpu...

volskid2002
07-31-2003, 02:43 PM
So do i need to buy any extra fans or anything before i go into my bios to try to overclock my processor as much as i can?