PDA

View Full Version : from ftp to linux box? help!

reese
02-04-2008, 03:50 AM
ive been using linux for a few years but i am far from being a guru. I am trying to figure out a way to download directly from a FTP Dump to my linux box. The only thing i can think of is setting up some type of VNC and installing kde and a ftp client. I really want to stay away from installing a GUI or VNC/FREENX on this box. Any suggestions?

elektROnik
02-04-2008, 09:09 AM
You can do it with a command-line client and a mini script that connects to the ftp and runs what commands you want(copy specific directories without overwriting).
Crontab + that_script = love

reese
02-04-2008, 12:56 PM
hmmz any names?

elektROnik
02-04-2008, 02:10 PM
-the default ftp client
-ncftp
-gftp
-lftp
-cURL

triso
07-05-2008, 01:35 PM
ive been using linux for a few years but i am far from being a guru. I am trying to figure out a way to download directly from a FTP Dump to my linux box. The only thing i can think of is setting up some type of VNC and installing kde and a ftp client. I really want to stay away from installing a GUI or VNC/FREENX on this box. Any suggestions?
This is probably too late but most distros of Linux come with wget - The non-interactive network downloader.

Like the man says, "GNU Wget is a free utility for non-interactive download of files from the Web. It supports HTTP, HTTPS, and FTP protocols, as well as retrieval through HTTP proxies."

tehmrserver
07-06-2008, 09:41 PM
vsftpd
proftpd

I use those on my desktop computer when transferring files around my home network.

Please note that I do not have any experience with dedicated servers/vps, so i can't help so much