PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Dickenson On File Sharing

TheNobleEU
07-31-2003, 03:36 AM
Quotation of possible interest to k-liters:

Pacing all over the stage, Bruce Dickenson (lead singer of Iron Maiden) proclaimed at the "GIVE ME ED TIL I'M DEAD Tour," in Merriweather Post Pavilion, Columbia Maryland, 29th July 2003:

"It's only the people that are putting out the albums with one good song and the rest filler that are complaining about [file sharing] and claim they are losing money -- but we are still selling just as much as we ever did -- so if you are taking pictures or recording this concert its OKAY WITH US and we want you to SHARE IT.  We want you to put it online!  We want you to give to everyvody so everyone can hear it -- because that's the way it should be.  It's only these posers that have a problem with it."

<end snipe at Metallica>

This quotation comes from my gf, who attended the concert. Thought you guys would enjoy the remarks.

Cheers,

CrumbCat
07-31-2003, 03:37 AM
I love it &#33; &#33; &#33;

Tchau&#33;

mogadishu
07-31-2003, 03:45 AM
Great Quote. This is a really great statement. Well said, agree with it all.

TheNobleEU
07-31-2003, 03:52 AM
Update from Musicmaster:
http://eddietrunk.com/news/article.php?news_id=1024

Arm
07-31-2003, 03:55 AM
*cheers for Iron Maiden* :)

the_faceman
07-31-2003, 04:00 AM
But on one condition: When you hear the new album, if you like it, pay the equivalent of three beers to buy the record in the store. That is what keeps us alive. If you don&#39;t like the album, just forget it

that&#39;s a reasonable request from any artist. The RIAA&#39;s whole crusade seems to be based on the fact that every song/album downloaded by anyone, automatically is a lost sale, when the truth is that if P2P was non-existant, and there was NO way to get music other than to buy it, then i&#39;d take a guess that about 5% or less of music that would have been downloaded if the technology existed would actually be bought.

edit - the "that is what keeps us alive" part is kinda funny though, considering it&#39;s coming from a member of Iron Maiden, i&#39;m sure after all these years they don&#39;t need any more sales to lead a financially comfortable life.

TheNobleEU
07-31-2003, 04:02 AM
My girl was told by a guy she got to talking to at the concert that Pro Skateboarder Tony Hawk loves Maiden and included Iron Maiden songs in his video games for Playstation. This has introduced the wholesome goodness ™&reg; of Iron Maiden to the next generation (IM has been around since 1974-75).

The age range at the concert was apparently from 15-50.

Maiden has been around forever, now they provide more reasons to erect bronze statues of them.

Cheers,

mogadishu
07-31-2003, 04:20 AM
I just downloaded a couple songs on Soulseek and they aren&#39;t half bad. Of course i will be out to buy one of their albums first thing tomorrow.

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
07-31-2003, 05:35 AM
Iron Maiden has been my favorite Band since I was like 13.....glad to hear this from Bruce.....Up The Irons&#33;&#33;&#33; B)

Celerystalksme
07-31-2003, 09:55 AM
Good to see Maiden support sharing music...Bruce is a legend and ya gotta love them paying metallica out...May the devil be with you (and also with you)

Gramma
07-31-2003, 01:28 PM
These are words of wisdom from Brucie boy, a typical down to earth attitude from an East End band. Watch Maiden&#39;s CD sales INCREASE while Metallica&#39;s decline (hopefully).

Interestingly though I see Maiden fall under the RIAA&#39;s umbrella (search for yourself at RIAA Radar (http://www.magnetbox.com/riaa/search.asp))

What the band need to do is offer single, good quality tracks for download on their site, enabling fans to purchase their music without lining the pockets of THE ENEMY.

Skillian
07-31-2003, 04:00 PM
Why is it only English bands that seem to voice support for filesharing? Iron Maiden, Blur, Robbie Williams - is it because they feel under less pressuure from the RIAA in Blighty, though of course their record labels are all still owned by RIAA affiliated groups.

TheNobleEU
07-31-2003, 08:13 PM
Mog:
I downloaded my initial exposure to IM years ago, but I&#39;m the sort to go out and get the stuff I enjoy to support the band. I&#39;m a sucker for quality work.

Up the Irons FC&#33; http://www.ironmaiden.com/homepagebits/edflame.gifhttp://www.ironmaiden.com/homepagebits/edhorns.gif

Gramma & Skillian:
Skillian strikes the nail exactly: the opinions and wishes of the artists is of no concern to the parent, label owning/distributing companies. They&#39;re the ones affiliated with RIAA et al. -- but now the artists speak. How great is that?

The quote provided is quite relevant to IM as well: there&#39;s very little that Maiden has done that stunk, and what did stink is on albums with half a dozen other excellent songs.

BTW: the new "Dance of Death" (http://www.ironmaiden.com/?section=1&subsection=0) album comes out in September.

Recently seen thread at the ironmaiden.com board:
I never see Maiden in the used bins, but I see a lot of Metallica...

Cheers,

Illuminati
07-31-2003, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Skillian@31 July 2003 - 17:00
Why is it only English bands that seem to voice support for filesharing? Iron Maiden, Blur, Robbie Williams - is it because they feel under less pressuure from the RIAA in Blighty, though of course their record labels are all still owned by RIAA affiliated groups.
Nope - RIAA has no direct coverage/control over the UK. Which is why a lot of the outspoken regulars on the forum are British (and European in general, to cater for Paul ;))

There&#39;s another reason though - The BPI seems to be taking a more reasonable stance on the issue. Details in the article below.
http://www.vnunet.com/News/1142728
I don&#39;t like the general &#39;union of media labels&#39; thing, but I have to applaud the BPI on their attitude :D

Skillian
07-31-2003, 10:56 PM
Of course the RIAA have no influence in a legal sense in the UK, but look at Iron Maiden&#39;s record company - EMI. An American company, and most certainly an important part of the RIAA.

These bands are still speaking out against their RIAA affiliated record companies, unlike any of their American counterparts (that I know of). That was the point I was making.

Illuminati
07-31-2003, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by Skillian@31 July 2003 - 23:56
Of course the RIAA have no influence in a legal sense in the UK, but look at Iron Maiden&#39;s record company - EMI. An American company, and most certainly an important part of the RIAA.

These bands are still speaking out against their RIAA affiliated record companies, unlike any of their American counterparts (that I know of). That was the point I was making.
Taking those things into account, two theories can be taken IMO
1) EMI don&#39;t give a crap about the UK market that much - RIAA is strong in America and hence EMI feel they have a gang to speak with. EMI don&#39;t have that industry support over here, so they keep their mouths shut for one or more reasons.
2) EMI don&#39;t really care about the P2P crusade enough to play a part to instigate it, but they will put their name to it for the case of getting some money "back". This kinda gives an impression that either not everyone in the RIAA has equal say, or very few are instigating it and the rest are jumping on the bandwagon.

Take your own pick which one it might be :D

Skillian
07-31-2003, 11:31 PM
How about

3)British bands feel more free to speak out about this sort of issue because they know that here in the UK their record label doesn&#39;t have the unconditional and unwavering support of government and other people in positions of power as it has in the US. This is probably the same reason we don&#39;t really hear the record companies speaking out against the issue.

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
09-06-2003, 09:55 AM
*BUMP*

Thanks for letting me listen to it Bruce.....will be there Tuesday. :D

James Webster
04-07-2005, 04:37 PM
[QUOTE=mogadishu]Great Quote. This is a really great statement. Well said, agree with it all.[/QU BRUCE
Bruce i have just joined with slsk.where can i download music from this site :frusty:

James Webster
04-07-2005, 04:48 PM
[QUOTE=mogadishu]Great Quote. This is a really great statement. Well said, agree with it all.[/QU BRUCE
Bruce i have just joined with slsk.where can i download music from this site :frusty:
robbie williams song no regrets love that song anybody got it

Lilmiss
04-07-2005, 11:17 PM
:ermm: :blink:

Adster
04-08-2005, 12:10 AM
its obviously a well known member