PDA

View Full Version : In Search of Quality Lossless Music

mamacita
02-04-2008, 05:50 PM
Hey there FST community!

I'm a huge music buff through and through. I'm one of those guys you often hate because they're so picky about their music quality. Part of it, I guess, is because I put most of my savings into an awesome stereo set up. I might not have money left for anything else, but my music sure does sound good :D

And for these reasons I had a question/request for you guys.

Like I said, I am really picky when it comes to music quality. I do not, as you can imagine, have the money to buy CDs (or super audio cd's for that matter). So over time I have gotten into the habit of getting my music off of private trackers.

Which brings me to my conundrum: I only download music in lossless format. And it so happens that not everyone rips a CD in lossless the same way. OiNK and Waffles are great music sites, in any music lovers' terms, but alas the rules about CD rips go only so far. There aren't any rules for lossless encoding, save that you can upload a FLAC with a log if the previous torrent was missing it.

What I'm in a search of is a tracker that is nuts about quality. Does such a thing even exist? Ideally the tracker would have rules about which extractors and encoders and their respective settings an uploader must use. For example, someone with an outdated drive that lacks C2 handling might not be allowed to up a rip of AC/DC's Back in Black. Or maybe they only let people upload music extracted by dBpoweramp. These are just examples.

Lastly, I'm also in search of some MFSL torrents besides what is running around the mainstream (there were some on OiNk and Demonoid, for example).

Any suggestions? Is there anywhere you'd recommend I look? Does a tracker like this even exist?

Help a music buff out!

Robbie
02-04-2008, 06:12 PM
BTmusic or e****

mamacita
02-04-2008, 07:49 PM
Taken from the review on E.

They differ in that on E**** there are a few free leech torrents where download is not counted and the musical selection tends to be for a slightly older crowd. If you like the new stuff, eat at McDonald's and watch TRL, this tracker will not interest you at all

Could be right up my alley.

Does anyone have any info on the rules for uploading lossless on either of these sites?

th0r
02-04-2008, 09:51 PM
seriously, someone needs to change that review, because there are plenty of newer-music torrents that have been uploaded recently

- you need to be an experienced uploader of lossless music on other trackers that feature lossless music as a niche (not trackers that happen to have a few lossless torrents here and there), like pedro's or waffles.fm or even an old oink account (users may remember you if you gave what you took)

- in terms of uploading, it is really frowned upon uploading torrents from other trackers; it is encouraged, however, to upload your own rips and scan your own artwork so that you may get a feel for what the long process is, which is what makes some of our torrents that much more unique

mamacita
02-05-2008, 03:48 PM
I've been uploading lossless music for several years now, be it on it OiNK or Waffles (only just recently joined).

I always upload my own rips as well.

I'm just looking for a good place to park my flac feet!

santhu
02-05-2008, 04:11 PM
try hd-bits.ro for FLAC albums

mamacita
02-08-2008, 12:04 AM
Still looking.

I'll settle for E or a BTmusic invite if anyone is feeling gracious enough!

Dark Archon
02-08-2008, 12:23 AM
good luck man

krunktastic
02-08-2008, 12:25 AM
Or maybe they only let people upload music extracted by dBpoweramp. These are just examples.

Try Exact Audio Copy.

Still looking.

I'll settle for E or a BTmusic invite if anyone is feeling gracious enough!

E****, no.

BTMusic, maybe.

Pm me your username on waffles.

seriously, someone needs to change that review, because there are plenty of newer-music torrents that have been uploaded recently

- you need to be an experienced uploader of lossless music on other trackers that feature lossless music as a niche (not trackers that happen to have a few lossless torrents here and there), like pedro's or waffles.fm or even an old oink account (users may remember you if you gave what you took)

- in terms of uploading, it is really frowned upon uploading torrents from other trackers; it is encouraged, however, to upload your own rips and scan your own artwork so that you may get a feel for what the long process is, which is what makes some of our torrents that much more unique

True that, Thor.
It takes me a good couple of hours to make a good flac rip when I include all the scans and all that other good stuff in perfect quality. I kinda get a little flustered when people don't say thanks for those kinds of things :(

mrnobody
02-08-2008, 12:31 AM

http://usera.imagecave.com/wuweixia/plus_un.gif

mamacita
02-08-2008, 12:33 AM
I exclusively use EAC, actually. I just mentioned db as a high end source.

Thank you for your replies guys!

th0r
02-08-2008, 07:08 AM
read my pm, that should get you started in the right track

artsluver
02-08-2008, 08:04 AM
I doubt that you will get E, from what I have heard you can get it if you are a member of another site and prove yourself not to be a dinkus. :-)

I wouldn't recommend waffles, the lossless there is all over the place, some with logs and some without, it's great for getting that thing you have been looking for forever, and can upgrade when you find a log version... if you ever do.

BT is pretty awesome, they have strict rules about uploads too, and police the site very heavily. I rather like it there and from the sounds of what you are looking for, you will too.

The one draw back about BT is... I just wish the had a section that had slightly lower standards... a NMR section or something like that. The reason? I have lot of rips that I have made over the years, cd and vinyl rips, and most of these have logs, but I never used test and copy so they are not wanted. They are not of the required quality, but they are not junk either, and the sources of them are gone, having volunteered at radio stations for years, I have had access to lots of great stuff, but will never get it again to rip to BT standards, so I cannot share them. I have tried on waffles, but they just languish there. For the future, all my rips will be BT quality, and that should suffice anywhere. I know one day I will find a place to share what I have now, it is just a shame to not be able to share 600 amazing jazz rips for example. :-)

th0r
02-08-2008, 08:43 AM
if i like what i see from this particular person, i'll put in a good word