PDA

View Full Version : What makes you download off a particular tracker?

fatcat69
02-04-2008, 11:08 PM
I want public opinion on this, in regards to a 0day site.

For this, pretend that the site has no ratio system and upload is only counted.

If you choose the seeder option, please do this poll too:

http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-bittorrent-43/t-what-better-more-seeders-less-seeders-faster-speeds-275033

grimms
02-04-2008, 11:13 PM
For me the amount of seeders. I like a healthy tracker. What comes to mind as i type this? Demonoid, then Zamunda. ScT is another great example great seeding on torrents. Also they have great pretimes and speed on downloads as well. Which is always a plus.

monk3y
02-04-2008, 11:15 PM
fatcat you should add :
"difficulty to restore ratio"

fatcat69
02-04-2008, 11:18 PM
fatcat you should add :

The reason Im asking is it is for a particular non-ratio site...so ratio has no effect. :happy:

mrnobody
02-04-2008, 11:18 PM
fatcat you should add :

that makes me not wanna download :P

as for the poll, i voted for all the options :D

monk3y
02-04-2008, 11:20 PM
yea fatcat but this is a general question which ratio has a lot to do with.

The Gladiator
02-04-2008, 11:20 PM
Yeah a lot of seeders for sure.

fatcat you should add :

edit

Nemrod
02-04-2008, 11:22 PM
As many seeders as possible, if half of them have 100 ZB connection, better.

fatcat69
02-04-2008, 11:22 PM

Wouldnt number of leechers count as that though?

monk3y
02-04-2008, 11:24 PM

not enough, number of hours to seed back torrent is also important.

there are sites where it's easy ( 36 hours - ftn ) and there are sites where it's more difficult ( f*c for example ).

fatcat69
02-04-2008, 11:29 PM

there are sites where it's easy ( 36 hours - ftn ) and there are sites where it's more difficult ( f*c for example ).

Yea that is true, but I didnt want to make the poll to large with too many options as the above options are somewhat able to be controlled.

Like I can make it so there are more seeders per torrent...as for speed, the speed is there as all the seeders are on 100mb/s lines for the most part...some are 10mb/s.

The issue is that people arent downloading and it doesnt make sense to me. If a 0day site with a ratio has a pre time of 1 minute and a 0day site without a ratio has a pretime of 3 minutes...which would you download from...

grimms
02-04-2008, 11:36 PM
In order for a tracker to remain healthy active you need seeders. The more the merrier. I don't care if ratio is not a factor. Also you need to have great content, a thriving community, and other incentives to keep a tracker with less seeders and no ratio alive. I don't care how fast i can complete a download.

tedsfrozenhead
02-04-2008, 11:47 PM
If ratio were of no concern (i.e. seeding time adds to ratio) I would download based on the content, and the choice that best matches content is pre-time I guess, but pre-time is only part of it. I would download whatever I felt like downloading. However, if I were attempting to gain the most possible upload I would download the torrent with the most leechers, which usually would mean jumping on torrents that historically get a lot of leechers (i.e. popular tv episodes) or things that you know many people will want that have good pre-times.

Night0wl
02-04-2008, 11:48 PM
None of the above. Special content is the main thing that makes me pick one tracker over another.

So if you want more leechers, make it not only 0-day

1000possibleclaws
02-05-2008, 12:46 AM
well this depends largely on which tracker I'm using. If its one thats easy enough to maintain a ratio at, I'll go for the number of seeders, but most important to me is the quality of the file. With music, it'll probably be whichever site has it in v0, with DVDR, itll be whichever site has it widescreen. the options in the poll i rarely consider when downloading actually

grimms
02-05-2008, 12:50 AM
Content, content, content is the key. Thats why i love specialized trackers so much like, Learbits, Bitspyder, UG gamer, and BitmeTv. They all offer content specific to my personal needs. I'm an E-Booker lover, Lynda and VTC tutorial watcher, Mame arcade player, and TV watcher (actually i barely watch any tv, but love that tracker for the collection of tv shows it offers).

stoi
02-05-2008, 02:51 AM
I think i know which tracker your talking about, and no im not a member (i did get offered but refused).

But imo (if anyone cares lol) is that they have been far to selective in who they have recruited to be members.

If you get 1,000 members, who all know how torrents work, and have accounts on most other [10] trackers with fast pre-times etc, then why will they download from that site with 1 seedbox user seeding, when they know if they download from another site, they can have 50 seedbox users seeding.

The other problem is, most might already have SB Axx anyway so all they are there for is to seed. but without the e-penis aspect of a ratio involved, they may find that their bw is better used on a tracker that counts how much you uploaded.

Being selective is great for security, not so great to get people to download whats on your tracker.

when we open we get loads of noobs regarding torrenting and the ratio system.

bad thing about this is the same Questions over and over, and security obviously.

Good thing is, they are there to download the torrents, which keeps the tracker ticking over. (if they dont seed back they get banned anyway)

its no good having 1000 members, 3000 seeders and 25 leechers all the time.

Bucktoof
02-05-2008, 03:56 AM
Number of leechers for me, shows that there is activity and gives me a chance to upload

aysomc
02-05-2008, 04:57 AM
for a 0day tracker its basically how fast is it released and then how fast can i get it so pretimes and speed are most important to me but all of those are really important.

torrentgeek
02-05-2008, 05:08 AM
i choose off a particular tracker because i see that i get a constant speed in downloads.

lubu
02-05-2008, 05:13 AM
Its the speed of download for me

bikernin
02-05-2008, 08:20 AM
fatcat you should add :

that helps a lot :lol:

vinhkhang01
02-05-2008, 08:40 AM
Speed and pretime are the 2 most important things for me.
If there is an incentive to meet certain levels of upload, I may want a lot of leechers, so that I can build up my upload faster.

k_ichigo
02-05-2008, 08:40 AM
idk..i used to use public trackers, then tl, then OINK* ( i still miss it) then certain ones above it...it seemed like more seeders = more speed, but *some trackers have extremely well speeds even with just a dozen of seeders. the only thing i think is, with more ppl it might be easier to connect to them..but if u can get faster downloads w/ less seeds its even better IMHO.

FatBob
02-05-2008, 08:43 AM
speed of the download and the ability to seed back with ease

TP635
02-05-2008, 08:51 AM
If ratio does not exit;
speed: not important to me cos my dl limit is low anyway.
Seeders: one seeder with seedbox is faster than 20 in home connection.
leechers: It make me feel nice that some one is leeching from me.( my vote is here)
pretime: does not interest me at all

monk3y
02-05-2008, 09:02 AM

Yea that is true, but I didnt want to make the poll to large with too many options as the above options are somewhat able to be controlled.

Like I can make it so there are more seeders per torrent...as for speed, the speed is there as all the seeders are on 100mb/s lines for the most part...some are 10mb/s.

The issue is that people arent downloading and it doesnt make sense to me. If a 0day site with a ratio has a pre time of 1 minute and a 0day site without a ratio has a pretime of 3 minutes...which would you download from...

listen, if you have TL where it's the most easy way seeding back and your site i don't really care for pre times.

your site is awesome for rare stuff and packs but for 0day and with the small amount of users i don't see how you are going to get the amount of leechers you want even if you get the actual groups to be affils in your site lol.

briand5379
02-05-2008, 01:44 PM
My thoughts are simple I download from where ever has the content. Pre times are only so important as to me whether it's 5 or 30 min it's no big deal unless it's something I'm really obscessing to see now if it was a few hours then that would be another story. Number of seeders only plays a factor if there are a bunch of leechers or if the speeds from a single seeder are really slow. If the sites no ratio I'm more opt to download from there as the price of seeding for a short time is more then worth it to not have to worry about ratio and as far as leechers they only factor so much when there's a no ratio rule as they can speed things up a little and help me get promoted. Overall the most important thing in my mind is the content offered with having a little bit of each on up when it comes to the other options.

aaatoel
02-05-2008, 01:51 PM
I voted the number of seeders.. I guess that if the seeders are enough the speed will be ok as well so that's my choice!

fOrUmAs
02-05-2008, 01:59 PM
i always looking on how many leechers some site have..

so my vote go to number of leechers

ideto
02-05-2008, 02:39 PM
Seeders/Lecheers Ratio.
I like good Trackers with good activitie.
Btw, Comunnity matters more that Speeds or Pres for me.

buggyfresh
02-05-2008, 11:48 PM
I chose all :D

ifkstab
02-06-2008, 12:17 AM
i'd say leechers is the main thing. Even without a ratio i still don't like leaving a torrent seeded less than 1:1. With few leechers i also don't want to dl it and be the only seeder and let it die because the uploader has to make room on his seedbox as i have to do the same thing.

ginnagagab
02-06-2008, 05:08 AM
For this, pretend that the site has no ratio system and upload is only counted.

if there is no ratio system why would you count upload ?

grimms
02-06-2008, 05:40 AM
if there is no ratio system why would you count upload ?

Upload is the only thing counted in a no ratio system. The real reason why upload is still considered even though there is no ratio is because trackers want to see how much members really share (Seed). Just cause there is no ratio doesn't mean you can just download everything.

Cabalo
02-06-2008, 05:45 AM
I think i know which tracker your talking about, and no im not a member (i did get offered but refused).

But imo (if anyone cares lol) is that they have been far to selective in who they have recruited to be members.

If you get 1,000 members, who all know how torrents work, and have accounts on most other [10] trackers with fast pre-times etc, then why will they download from that site with 1 seedbox user seeding, when they know if they download from another site, they can have 50 seedbox users seeding.

The other problem is, most might already have SB Axx anyway so all they are there for is to seed. but without the e-penis aspect of a ratio involved, they may find that their bw is better used on a tracker that counts how much you uploaded.

Being selective is great for security, not so great to get people to download whats on your tracker.

when we open we get loads of noobs regarding torrenting and the ratio system.

bad thing about this is the same Questions over and over, and security obviously.

Good thing is, they are there to download the torrents, which keeps the tracker ticking over. (if they dont seed back they get banned anyway)

its no good having 1000 members, 3000 seeders and 25 leechers all the time.

what can someone add, after such a complete post like this?

well, in the first place, uber-selective sites always will have leeching problems in the future, because actually torrenting is made of leeching. People use torrents to leech because they want to . They seed because they have to. This is the fact. And when they know that their bandwidth will give them higher "perks" at a ratio site with lots of leechers, most will move there and use their bandwidth for e-penis enlargement.

i wonder how long can such a system thrive...

fatcat69
02-06-2008, 07:26 AM
Thanks for all the input guys...as I said...I am just trying to improve each one of my communities one step at a time...the 3 smaller trackers that I am a member at all have the same issue, yet one has survived for 3 years...the other 2 are fairly new...but hopefully with the help of good advice like posted above and the honest members, they will thrive just as well.

The good thing that this thread has done is shown everyone that seeding is not the most important factor when it comes to torrenting and pre time is really not of much concern either.

I am glad to see people posting that they want to reach a 1.0 ratio!!

Hope to see you all wherever you wish to be! :-D

Please continue to post ideas and opinions as I will read all of them