PDA

View Full Version : What is better more seeders, or less seeders with faster speeds.

fatcat69
02-04-2008, 11:10 PM
This is a extra poll connected to this poll:
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-bittorrent-43/t-what-makes-you-download-off-particular-tracker-275032

The reason I am asking is because a particular site that has an upload only system has extremely fast pretimes, all the seeders are on 100mb/s lines...but people dont download that much.

grimms
02-04-2008, 11:11 PM
More seeders for the sake of what bittorent is all about sharing. The more people seeding the torrent the longer it will be alive (hopefully).

monk3y
02-04-2008, 11:16 PM
more seeders is always better so if someone stop seeding due to problems or he is just tired with that you always have plenty of other seeders.

The Gladiator
02-04-2008, 11:18 PM
"More seeders with an average speed"

For i can seed back, if it's only seedboxes seeding i will upload not even 1Mb.

fatcat69
02-04-2008, 11:23 PM

The poll is in regards to a non ratio site...so you dont have to worry about maintaining a ratio.

Tokeman
02-04-2008, 11:24 PM
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-bittorrent-43/t-what-makes-you-download-off-particular-tracker-275032

The reason I am asking is because a particular site that has an upload only system has extremely fast pretimes, all the seeders are on 100mb/s lines...but people dont download that much.
could that possibly stem from a very small userbase (small as in under 6k?)

fatcat69
02-04-2008, 11:27 PM

could that possibly stem from a very small userbase (small as in under 6k?)

Yes, but the issue is not only the small userbase, as there are other sites with just as small userbases that dont have this issue.

tedsfrozenhead
02-04-2008, 11:29 PM
more seeders because not only will the torrent stay active for longer, but when you snatch something, you have no idea how fast the seeder's connection is, so more seeders is more likely to be faster.

The Gladiator
02-04-2008, 11:30 PM

The poll is in regards to a non ratio site...so you dont have to worry about maintaining a ratio.

Ok.. So my choice still the same for the same reason of fusionz (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/members/fusionz-148731), if one seedboxe blows up we will download nothing.

fatcat69
02-04-2008, 11:31 PM
more seeders because not only will the torrent stay active for longer, but when you snatch something, you have no idea how fast the seeder's connection is, so more seeders is more likely to be faster.

What if say 3 out of the 5 seeders were on 100mb/s lines?

grimms
02-04-2008, 11:31 PM
People don't download that much due to content. When you can find the same content on 11 different trackers, it doesn't give a user much incentive to download. Even on a site with no ratio system. I do feel as though having a tracker with alot of seeders is what is most important. Content is first choice but the options given are more seeders with a slower speed or less seeders with a faster speed. I pick the former. Slower speeds with lots of seeders.

fatcat69
02-04-2008, 11:37 PM
People don't download that much due to content. When you can find the same content on 11 different trackers, it doesn't give a user much incentive to download. Even on a site with no ratio system. I do feel as though having a tracker with alot of seeders is what is most important. Content is first choice but the options given are more seeders with a slower speed or less seeders with a faster speed. I pick the former. Slower speeds with lots of seeders.

Ya, see I cant force people to download in order to create more seeders.

Pre times under 5 minutes for movies, under 2 minutes for tv shows, yet people still dont download. :huh:

grimms
02-04-2008, 11:40 PM
Because it has content that can be found anywhere else. I barely download anything from FTN, FSC or iTS. I post on their forums more then i download anything. Especially iTS. They barely have anything a far as content right now. Love their forums and community spirit though. It just needs time in the content department to develop.

slau
02-04-2008, 11:48 PM
Because it has content that can be found anywhere else. I barely download anything from FTN, FSC or iTS. I post on their forums more then i download anything. Especially iTS. They barely have anything a far as content right now. Love their forums and community spirit though. It just needs time in the content department to develop.

I only like the packs in ScT :yup:

grimms
02-04-2008, 11:53 PM
I only like the packs in ScT :yup:

Yes great packs. Downloaded like 30 of them, when they had free leech in December.:cool:

Neo
02-05-2008, 02:12 AM
Well, lots of seeders and quite a few with seedboxes... lol

Seriously, also like when a torrent has lots of seeders for the obvious reason that it is likely to live longer.

Worst case scenario is a tracker with few users, lots of them with seedboxes and u not having one...

The Wanderer
02-05-2008, 07:09 AM

This way people with slow connections can seed back. ;)

VIZFX
02-05-2008, 07:33 AM
There needs to be a balance, because most site are run on the ratio system. Otherwise, more seeders makes more sense.

dragos
02-05-2008, 07:54 AM
more peers with average speed looks like a better ideea, otherwise it's like ftn, fresh torrent with high speed , after a couple of days it's left with 1 - 3 seeders that give you 40- 60 kilo at a 10 GB pack, which will make you download it somewhere else. But if it's like sct, where you get dozens of peers/torrent ,you get seedboxes running for a few days and then there are still dozens of home-lines that seed the torrent for months and combined also give you a high speed

FatBob
02-05-2008, 08:02 AM
More seeders with an average speed

1, 100mbit users , mostly seedbox users wont bother to keep the torrent seeding for longer time due to hdd space etc

2, i want to get nice speeds from older torrents . :)

bikernin
02-05-2008, 08:13 AM
definitely more seeders with average speed. for people with slow connections lik me, pretimes dont matter that much. i need to be able to download a file with good speeds a month or more after it has been released. seedbox users will seed to say 1000% and then leave. so more users ensures a longer torrent life and also is more in the spirit of torrenting since all users can upload back and contribute (even if its ratio free). otherwise its the box users who get all the uploads and makes it very hard for average users

zedex
02-05-2008, 08:39 AM
yeah i cant download much in a site like that since i dont have a 100 connection , so my seed would be worthless there with all those fast connection members.

TP635
02-05-2008, 09:02 AM

I cannot see the relationship between the lack of dl and that of the number of seeder or the connection speed. I think you are asking the wrong question.

fatcat69
02-05-2008, 09:31 AM

I cannot see the relationship between the lack of dl and that of the number of seeder or the connection speed. I think you are asking the wrong question.

how is it the wrong question...if content and pre time are better/faster then nearly all other sites...then obviously something is not making people download. It is a high level site that everyone wants into but yet when most get in, they just sit there. Thats the problem.

So the reason I have these two polls is to find out how to increase the amount of peers...without just going out and giving invites to every PU + like other sites have done..

Im using this to help the staff of a particular site to decide which steps to take in order to bring the leechers to us.

This site has beaten all but 2 sites with pre times every time...and sometimes beats the two other sites as well. So pre times cant be an excuse, content cant be because everything gets uploaded. So it has to be the number of seeders...yet every seeder is a seedbox that seeds for 5+ days due to the current inactivity on the tracker.

Im just curious to see the other side of the picture, because as an uploader to 5 high level sites, this is the only tracker where I dont max out my connection the second after i upload a file there.

sugam
02-05-2008, 09:41 AM
I dont actually care, but less seeders with higher speeds, because more free conections will remain.

fOrUmAs
02-05-2008, 10:20 AM
as long speed is good and there are leechers to seedback im fine..but since u ask i would
say less seeders

SCR
02-05-2008, 10:21 AM
More seeders with an average speed is my option, because this way u have a file with a longer life and users that are not afraid to download even if they have small up speed and don`t forget more peers ... even if there are 3 out of 5 users with great up speed if i can not connect to them what use does the fact that they have 100 Mb up speed has for me?

TP635
02-05-2008, 10:34 AM

how is it the wrong question...if content and pre time are better/faster then nearly all other sites...then obviously something is not making people download. It is a high level site that everyone wants into but yet when most get in, they just sit there. Thats the problem.

So the reason I have these two polls is to find out how to increase the amount of peers...without just going out and giving invites to every PU + like other sites have done..

Im using this to help the staff of a particular site to decide which steps to take in order to bring the leechers to us.

This site has beaten all but 2 sites with pre times every time...and sometimes beats the two other sites as well. So pre times cant be an excuse, content cant be because everything gets uploaded. So it has to be the number of seeders...yet every seeder is a seedbox that seeds for 5+ days due to the current inactivity on the tracker.

Im just curious to see the other side of the picture, because as an uploader to 5 high level sites, this is the only tracker where I dont max out my connection the second after i upload a file there.

You just answer your own question. There is not enough leechers. Most trackers thinks that uploaders are the more important of the two and the reward system shows it. You know the problem is not related to pretime or dl time. In this case dl speed have nothing to do with the numbers of seeds cos of the presence of seedbox.
That is why I said you are asking the wrong question. I would ask, How do you increase the number of leech without increasing the number of members?

hey: I am just trying to be of help here.