PDA

View Full Version : Add "Rate Post" hack to this board?

100%
02-06-2008, 06:14 PM
Thought it could be interesting to try on this board.

"This hack allows your users to rate the individual posts in the threads...
..a negative rating that is below a predefined threshold (defined by admin) will be collapsed with an expand link there to show the hidden posts."

sort of like vote up or down in digg etc.

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=145075

Rossco it is up to you.

SCR
02-06-2008, 06:18 PM
i think there is such a thing already

100%
02-06-2008, 06:20 PM
i am referring to "posts" not entire "threads"

SCR
02-06-2008, 06:26 PM
you mean every post in a thread ?

tesco
02-06-2008, 11:27 PM
I like the idea but it's got no use on this forum... :lol:

100%
02-07-2008, 06:18 AM
i thought it worked on vbulletin?

DKre8ive1
02-07-2008, 09:32 AM
I said no since the way it is now I can quickly glance over the spam posts and if everything that the majority of users feel don't deserve attention would be collapsed it would just add time to my forum reading due to having to click on it out of curiosity.

The reason it works on digg I think is because they are news stories and not a thread asking questions or of a member posting his opinion on something.

But what do I know that is just my viewpoint on it. :P

tesco
02-07-2008, 02:43 PM
I said no since the way it is now I can quickly glance over the spam posts and if everything that the majority of users feel don't deserve attention would be collapsed it would just add time to my forum reading due to having to click on it out of curiosity.

The reason it works on digg I think is because they are news stories and not a thread asking questions or of a member posting his opinion on something.

But what do I know that is just my viewpoint on it. :PExactly, that's what I meant by it not having any use here.

Something Else
02-07-2008, 05:01 PM
It would be useful if it collapsed the entire BT section. :smilie4:

enoughfakefiles
02-07-2008, 06:30 PM
/moved back to the top of the board:dabs:

100%
02-09-2008, 02:59 PM
still think rossco should try it out for a few days.
change is good no?

peat moss
02-09-2008, 05:49 PM
I see the thread gots 5 stars that should tell us something . It sure would be more fun than editing tags .

tesco
02-09-2008, 06:11 PM
I see the thread gots 5 stars that should tell us something . It sure would be more fun than editing tags .It also got a "This thread is now in the Modification Graveyard."
Not sure why. :unsure:

100%
02-09-2008, 06:17 PM
That it is no longer being modified(updated), hence it is either perfect or it has been left to sleep.
I searched for other of this type hacks, this is the only one.
Blame me if the board goes down.

please, give it a shot?

tesco
02-09-2008, 06:26 PM
That it is no longer being modified(updated), hence it is either perfect or it has been left to sleep.
I searched for other of this type hacks, this is the only one.
Blame me if the board goes down.

please, give it a shot?I can't download it because of it being in modification graveyard.

I could create this hack myself, but are we going to keep it if I do that?

krunktastic
02-09-2008, 06:31 PM
It would work with an older crowd, but I would get seriously bored after digging eight out of every ten comments. I like the concept, though.

A more feasible idea would be to add a "SPAM" button instead of a report post button. With enough SPAMS the post gets deleted.

100%
02-09-2008, 06:34 PM
weather it is used here is up to the users.
nice, if you can make it,(amazing) then it can be hosted here,sold for millions, hence adding more traffic, giving you more work....
try to find this hack other than that place on google.
win, win

anyway, thanks for registring etc etc and trying rossco.

tesco
02-09-2008, 06:37 PM
It would work with an older crowd, but I would get seriously bored after digging eight out of every ten comments. I like the concept, though.

A more feasible idea would be to add a "SPAM" button instead of a report post button. With enough SPAMS the post gets deleted.
That's the idea I was thinking.
Like youtube has.

A thumbsup and thumbsdown button on every post. The psot will display the rating next to it, example: +5, 0, or -7
After the number goes below -5 the post will be hidden to users who view the thread (unless they click a button "show post").

@100%, I already have an account there... and was already logged in. :P
I already knew that hack existed, but it's for an older version of vbulletin anyway.

100%
02-09-2008, 06:39 PM
respect removed http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/images/smilies/tongue.gif

mrnobody
02-09-2008, 06:47 PM
Thought it could be interesting to try on this board.

"This hack allows your users to rate the individual posts in the threads...
..a negative rating that is below a predefined threshold (defined by admin) will be collapsed with an expand link there to show the hidden posts."

sort of like vote up or down in digg etc.

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=145075

Rossco it is up to you.

like they have in Yahoo Answers?

i think an answer with 5 thumbs down is collapsed with an expand link

but i don't see much much use in this forum

unlike yahoo answers, majority post here are opinion not facts.

So, i think it will likely be misused (than used).

I mean, people will give thumbs down to a post if they don't agree with what someone has to say....and i think board (like FST) are to here everyone not selective or majority opinion.

edit: If someone is violating rule, there is a report section for that...and DKre8ive1 (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/../../members/dkre8ive1-123675) said i would spend too much time expanding the collasped posts...just out of curiousity.

peat moss
02-09-2008, 07:51 PM
I see the thread gots 5 stars that should tell us something . It sure would be more fun than editing tags .It also got a "This thread is now in the Modification Graveyard."
Not sure why. :unsure:

Oh great blame me . :( . Why not try it in specific forms , say Bitorrent or the Lounge ?

krunktastic
02-10-2008, 04:56 PM
It'd probably be better off in forums where answers mean something, like Software, for instance.

tesco
02-18-2008, 02:22 AM
So, I created this mod.
We can try it for a while see how it goes.
More options will be added to it later on if we're going to keep it.

mrnobody
02-18-2008, 03:33 AM
lolz i just saw it

+1 thumbs up

but it will go crazy in bt-tard section

whiteyes
02-18-2008, 03:35 AM
success by opening in new tap.
didnt work by direct link.
i'm using Opera 9.24.
nice function!
thanks!

Night0wl
02-18-2008, 04:12 AM
I like the idea, but users should be able to override it in their User CP. Then everyone is happy.

Especially if you could choose forum specific e.g. don't hide buried posts in Bittorrent section, but hide them in Bittorrent invite section

tesco
02-18-2008, 04:42 AM
success by opening in new tap.
didnt work by direct link.
i'm using Opera 9.24.
nice function!
thanks!
It seems that a lot of the site is broken in Opera.
So I just spent a lot of time trying to fix my code only to find out that the problem isn't with my code, it's with vbulletin.:frusty:

whiteyes
02-18-2008, 04:54 AM
It seems that a lot of the site is broken in Opera.
So I just spent a lot of time trying to fix my code only to find out that the problem isn't with my code, it's with vbulletin.:frusty:

it's not a big problem to me. i'm very satisfied with this function now. :D
i know many sites cant display well on Opera.

thank you again.:)

hope this can decrease those "+1" spamming posts.:D

Cabalo
02-18-2008, 06:42 AM
hehe, squirrel is in trouble now.

+1 :D

100%
02-18-2008, 09:18 AM
Hey thanks Rossco!
I had given up on it.
Did you make it yourself?
Lets see how it goes

krunktastic
02-18-2008, 12:54 PM
Rossco, what are the details, i.e. threshold, user records, etc.

tesco
02-18-2008, 03:34 PM
-5 is the threshold.
dunno what you mean about user records.

edit: This is now fixed in opera. It now doesn't bother to try and use ajax when you're using Opera.

whiteyes
02-18-2008, 05:41 PM
-5 is the threshold.

edit: This is now fixed in opera. It now doesn't bother to try and use ajax when you're using Opera.

yep. it works fine with my Opera 9.24.:D
thanks!

Skiz
02-18-2008, 05:43 PM
What happen to a thread if the original poster reaches -5?

tesco
02-18-2008, 06:56 PM
What happen to a thread if the original poster reaches -5?Just the first post is hidden.

I think i'll change it so the first post can't hide.:unsure:

KFlint
02-18-2008, 07:37 PM
yeah, first post should always be visible, if the first post is trash, we will still be moving the thread accordingly

mrnobody
02-18-2008, 11:59 PM
-5 is the threshold.

me not like the threshold system :cry:

it's like u are implementing dictatorship :lol:

This isn't Yahoo Answer (YA!) where there is 'right' or 'wrong' answer.

I though [for most part] this is an opinion bard (of course staying withing rules) but what good is an opinion with such system?

I mean it only takes 5 thumbs down for a post to disappear?

There are thousand of people in this board and I am sure at least 5 people will disagree with every post that is made here.

Plus, it will encourage trolling. For instance, giving thumbs down to people you do not like (regardless of what their post is about) or people who belong to a group (say "trader", "anti-trader" in BT section).

and as D previously said, i would hate to go back and click 'show' button for collasped posts...just out of curiousity.

---

At the moment i think +1 cancels -1 and makes 0 thumbs up/ down. Me not like that, i hope we could see how many thumbs up and down each post gets....i think it will be useful in larger scale.

Say a post gets 100 thumbs down and another gets 101 thumbs up then the system will record it as +1 thumbs up? Which i find is lil awkward. Why not show total # of thumbs down/up and reflect controversy of the post?

---

Barbarossa
02-19-2008, 12:10 AM
It doesn't appear to work anyway :dabs:

Something Else
02-19-2008, 02:52 AM
There are thousand of people in this board and I am sure at least 5 people will disagree with every post that is made here.

That works both ways. :mellow:

it's like u are implementing dictatorship

It's the opposite of a dictatorship. :mellow:

Skiz
02-19-2008, 04:45 AM
What happen to a thread if the original poster reaches -5?Just the first post is hidden.

I think that's a wise decision. Would protect the stickies from an any fuckery as well, though as Barb stated and has been tested in the $20 thread, it doesn't work.

tesco
02-20-2008, 12:11 AM
Just the first post is hidden.

I think that's a wise decision. Would protect the stickies from an any fuckery as well, though as Barb stated and has been tested in the $20 thread, it doesn't work.
This is a test post to show what it looks like when a post is hidden.

Sorry, didn't realize this was set to work for MY USERNAME ONLY. :lol:

Hairbautt
02-20-2008, 12:58 AM
:lol: Rossco -99 -98 now.

This message has been hidden because it is under the post rating threshold.

mrnobody
02-20-2008, 02:03 AM
i was thinking there is a 'show' button but none =/

RealitY
02-20-2008, 07:06 AM
Well Ive been holding back but this is plain silly...

Barbarossa
02-20-2008, 09:28 AM
i was thinking there is a 'show' button but none =/

I've got a "show" button. Am I special? :blink:

If there's no show button I agree with reality, it's plain silly.

Hell, I agree with reality anyway, it's plain silly :dabs:

Hairbautt
02-20-2008, 01:06 PM
I don't have a show button :unsure:

Something Else
02-20-2008, 06:29 PM
I don't have a show button :unsure:

You're a whole different kind of special. :naughty:

tesco
02-21-2008, 01:08 AM
"View Post" in the show button. ;)

Hairbautt
02-21-2008, 01:53 AM

DKre8ive1
02-21-2008, 02:37 AM
I must need glasses because I cant see any "View post" button and I think rossco meant "view post is the show button". But I am not sure to be honest since I cant find either. :lol:

Barbarossa
02-21-2008, 12:54 PM
It looks like only mods and admin currently have access to the "View Post" link.

Presumably this is an oversight which will be corrected shortly :whistling

tesco
02-21-2008, 11:02 PM
It looks like only mods and admin currently have access to the "View Post" link.

Presumably this is an oversight which will be corrected shortly :whistlingoops.:frusty:

DKre8ive1
02-21-2008, 11:13 PM
I can see it now and it works.

mrnobody
02-26-2008, 12:41 AM
i accidentally gave thumbs down when my intention was actually to give it a thumbs up. Is there a way to change it? If yes, how? If not, could we have such feature as well plz?

Quylui
03-04-2008, 11:04 PM
me not like the threshold system :cry:

Squirrel, this is much more like a democracy. For people new to torrents, software, or file sharing in general, this idea will act as a tool to help those out-of-the-know gain a greater knowledge from veteran users.

it's like u are implementing dictatorship :lol:

Again, this shouldn't be the case. This isn't a dictatorship, as one person doesn't decide which answers are voted down and which ones aren't. WE do. Therefore, the people with the most accurate answers are likely to get their posts voted up more often.

This isn't Yahoo Answer (YA!) where there is 'right' or 'wrong' answer.

True, there aren't right or wrong answers. But more knowledgeable people are likely to have their comments voted up due to the time they take to post and answers they choose to give. This vote up/down system should eliminate most spam, which I think (correct me if I'm wrong) is it's primary goal.

I can't say that I agree with the rest of your arguments either, but hey - we're all entitled to our own opinion. ;)

Night0wl
03-05-2008, 12:16 AM
i accidentally gave thumbs down when my intention was actually to give it a thumbs up. Is there a way to change it? If yes, how? If not, could we have such feature as well plz?

I second that. I accidently gave myself two thumbs down instead of annulling the 1 thumb down I had on one of my posts :P