PDA

View Full Version : Whats the story on unlocked iPhones?

Smith
02-07-2008, 08:16 PM
I live in Canada, and I'm quite interested in buying an iPhone. I've heard you cant update them and that unless you get it legit its a brick.

Can someone educate me a bit?

scottwile
02-07-2008, 10:06 PM
I am in Canada aswell. I have a friend who has an Iphone on the Rogers network. Works perfectly and has worked for a couple months now... didn`t get the details on what the unlocking process was like but i can say for sure it does/can work.

cpt_azad
02-09-2008, 11:27 AM
I have one 8gb, in vancouver right now. With rogers on a month to month basis.

Save your money guys, you can't update it (there is a way I've heard, never looked into it considering the complication involved, one wrong move and your Iphone becomes a paperweight).

It's not jsut the updates, this phone is amazing...for the first 2 weeks, than you realize why the hell you spent so much on it, and buyers beware. The phone actually "gradually" slows down as time goes on. Before I could scroll through the photo gallery (thumbnail view mode) that had hundreds of pictures in it with ease. Trying to do it now it will stutter and freeze and stuff.

There are some cool features on it though.

Oh, and text messaging on this thing is not as fun and easy as it looks.

Skiz
02-09-2008, 12:20 PM
I know the updates are possible, just don't have a clue as to what's involved.

A buddy bought on and he took it to a place here in town which specializes in phones, unlocking phones, cases, etc.

They unlocked it for $30 and do any subsequent updates for $10.

Seems like a lot, but if you're going to spend $400+ on a phone anyhow...

yozshura
02-12-2008, 12:15 PM
They unlocked it for $30 and do any subsequent updates for $10.
I unlocked mine in 30mins (include the firmware download time). It's a piece of cake, really.

S!X
02-14-2008, 12:32 PM
(there is a way I've heard, never looked into it considering the complication involved, one wrong move and your Iphone becomes a paperweight).

You could probably get it done by someone on craigslist, that knows what they're doing. Just like psp's, I wonder if they'll have an iphone unbricking utility....it's just a matter of time. ;)

Smith
02-15-2008, 12:27 AM
Ill pass on it then, I bought a dvd deck for my car instead lol.

anto
02-15-2008, 12:32 AM
(there is a way I've heard, never looked into it considering the complication involved, one wrong move and your Iphone becomes a paperweight).

You could probably get it done by someone on craigslist, that knows what they're doing. Just like psp's, I wonder if they'll have an iphone unbricking utility....it's just a matter of time. ;)

there is a way too unbrick a iphone i have a link :happy: ca i post it up?

(http://modmyifone.com/wiki/index.php/IPhone_unlock_OS_X_Part_4)

macking
02-15-2008, 07:15 AM
There's an update available for version 1.1.3 but the iPhone scene is just beginning standing back and seeing what it develops into would probably be a good idea.

matt87
05-22-2008, 11:38 AM
If you're still wondering about unlocked iPhones in Canada, it's easy! I've had mine for about two months now and I love it. Unlocking process is easy and quicker than before. Reply back if you want more details. I have an unlocked iPhone with firmware 2.0 on it, using it with Rogers in Ottawa.

Skiz
05-22-2008, 05:43 PM
If you're still wondering about unlocked iPhones in Canada, it's easy! I've had mine for about two months now and I love it. Unlocking process is easy and quicker than before. Reply back if you want more details. I have an unlocked iPhone with firmware 2.0 on it, using it with Rogers in Ottawa.

On topic, the iPhones are easily unlocked and usable with any GSM carrier. I used Ziphone (http://www.ziphone.org/) to unlock, jailbreak, and activate mine. :01: