PDA

View Full Version : Cpu Cooling

leonidas
07-31-2003, 03:00 PM
My CPU is a AMD Duron 1Giga-hertz, I cool it with this model of coppered heatsink: "Cooler master HHC-L61", and with an "UltraSilentFan O S2 wich brand is:"Noiseblocker.
And as this fan can be slow down with a potentiometer, I would like to know first if it's risky to slow it down, taking into account the hardware configuration I have, and then I would like to know what could happen if my CPU isn't cooled enought.

Thanks in advance. :)

bigdawgfoxx
07-31-2003, 03:10 PM
Why the hell would u want to slow it down?? the cooler you keep it the longer its life...if its not cool it could get over heated and "die" or just crash your computer alot....i wouldnt mess with it

leonidas
07-31-2003, 03:34 PM
to be more silencious

bigdawgfoxx
07-31-2003, 03:37 PM
ok well you didnt say that...i dont think i would do that...maybe you could buy a quiter fan...

lynx
07-31-2003, 03:45 PM
Go for something like the Zalman Flower cooler, only 20Dba in silent mode, that should provide plenty of cooling for your processor.

leonidas
07-31-2003, 03:48 PM
actually the seller told me the model of fan i buied him was the quitest
but there is still a little noise i want to eradicate if it's possible off course.

leonidas
07-31-2003, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by lynx@31 July 2003 - 16:45
Go for something like the Zalman Flower cooler, only 20Dba in silent mode, that should provide plenty of cooling for your processor.
mine is already 19 db, but It' s possible to slow it down to 11 Db

ilw
07-31-2003, 03:59 PM
have a look at your cpu temperatures when u stress your cpu. (U can get programs which will make your cpu usage 100%) If the temperatures are nice and low then u can turn the cooling down a bit and retry the tests

lynx
07-31-2003, 04:15 PM
That model of cooler is not designed to be slowed down.

The model designation HHC-L61 means:

H - High Performance
H - Heat Pipe
C - Cooler
L - Low Noise/Speed
61 - 60 mm 1st version.

Variable speed coolers have the designation xxx-Vxx

That said, you probably can slow the speed slightly but remember that your fan speed is already down at 3000 rpm, it may stall if you try to slow it down too much, and that would be disastrous for your processor - you would almost certainly fry it within seconds.

ilw
07-31-2003, 05:12 PM
yeah, but he's got a non standard fan on it (hence the potentiometer) so he can probably turn it down some

Pitbul
07-31-2003, 05:32 PM
let his slow down his fan and fry his CPU just tell him how to do it if he over does it he dug his own grave. i think it would be utter idiocy to slow down ur fan slow just becuz u want it quiter then 20db's i dont care how loud it is really just as long as my CPU is cool now lets think either slow down ur fan and have ur CPU heat up possibly fry it or keep it where its at nice and stable and have ur CPU live for more then a week i take the second approach.

leonidas
07-31-2003, 06:34 PM
if I use ilw's programms, then it should be ok.Ijust have to look after it when the weather gets hotter

leonidas
07-31-2003, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by lynx@31 July 2003 - 17:15
That model of cooler is not designed to be slowed down.

The model designation HHC-L61 means:

H - High Performance
H - Heat Pipe
C - Cooler
L - Low Noise/Speed
61 - 60 mm 1st version.

Variable speed coolers have the designation xxx-Vxx

That said, you probably can slow the speed slightly but remember that your fan speed is already down at 3000 rpm, it may stall if you try to slow it down too much, and that would be disastrous for your processor - you would almost certainly fry it within seconds.
Actually the stuff named HH-L61 contained a coppered heatsink within a crapy 60 mm fan. So I've just remove the fan and put this UltraSilentFan OS2, a 80mm fan with potentiometer.

leonidas
07-31-2003, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by ilw@31 July 2003 - 16:59
have a look at your cpu temperatures when u stress your cpu. (U can get programs which will make your cpu usage 100%) If the temperatures are nice and low then u can turn the cooling down a bit and retry the tests
Does someone could name one of these programms,please?

ilw
07-31-2003, 07:37 PM
http://users.bigpond.net.au/cpuburn/ theres one there called cpu burnin which generates the absolute max heat. Just be careful and monitor ur cpu temperature closely. and always have a largish safety margin
I don't wanna be to blame if anything goes wrong :ph34r:

leonidas
07-31-2003, 09:13 PM
Thanks for you site ilw but I'm sorry, I didn't made myself clear. What I would like to have, is just a program to check the temperature of my processor, just in order to keep my fan the more silencious possible, I don't want to overclock anything.