PDA

View Full Version : Seeding Priorities in utorrent

1000possibleclaws
02-10-2008, 12:39 AM
in utorrent is there a way to give priority to certain torrents to upload, while still downloading from other torrents? there the high normal low settings, but right now my downloads are still going even though they're normal, and my torrents that ive just uploaded have stopped seeding once i resumed downloading, even though i set a few on 'high'

the only way i've found to get my torrents uploaded is to go under Preferences and set 'Seeding tasks have higher priority than downloading tasks', but then i cant download anything

what I'm want is for torrents labelled as 'Waffles' to have this, but not for everything else im seeding

I know there's probably gonna be lots of unhelpful replies here, but if you know a way to help me get this please help me.

SgtMajor
02-10-2008, 12:41 AM
Sort by tracker, right click all the torrents you are interested in, select how you want your bandwidth to be allocated to each tracker, choose from high, medium & low.

1000possibleclaws
02-10-2008, 12:43 AM
yeah i do that right now. i'll try setting all my downloads to low. i've also capped the download speed, im hoping that will increase my upload for seeding torrents

Ichigo81
02-10-2008, 12:48 AM
I find that high-low-normal setting stuff don't work too well. Just use the speed limiter under the same right click option for each torrent you want to modify.

SgtMajor
02-10-2008, 12:51 AM
BT protocol only looks for the most leechers to seed to and then seeders with the fastest speed will get priority from a central point of view, it won't give a shit what you do with your client.

If there are no leechers, if someone has a seedbox, then you are going to be stuck with pausing (rather than stopping) some torrents to try & squeeze more output to the ones you want to feed.

Don't forget, there will always be partial seeders to, so thinking 10s & 100s are grabbing a particular torrent, it might only be 1 person grabbing 100% of that torrent, and the rest will always be seen as leechers, but actually leeching nothing from the swarm, and you are all try8ing to seed to that 1 person grabbing 100% of the torrent.

So basically, if the demand is there, it will take off you, if not, then no point in keep trying to tweak all your settings, learn to pause and force start what tracker you are trying to seed to for a day or so.

1000possibleclaws
02-10-2008, 12:52 AM
yeah i do that alot too, but when you're seeding 150 torrents its really only possible for the downloading torrents. I'll stop the overall cap and set limits on my downloads, i'll see if that works better

SgtMajor
02-10-2008, 12:57 AM
yeah i do that alot too, but when you're seeding 150 torrents its really only possible for the downloading torrents. I'll stop the overall cap and set limits on my downloads, i'll see if that works better

And if nobody is taking off you, then you are losing out on seeding valuable bandwidth to other trackers.

grimms
02-10-2008, 01:18 AM
Yes you'll need to get use to doing force starts on your torrents and pausing others that you don't want to seed or take up bandwidth. The low, medium, and high setting work gradually and depends on that particular swarm and everything else SgtMajor mentioned. Alot of times people only partial seed the torrents while very few may need the whole torrent, but then your all fighting to get him particular pieces of that file (torrent). It turns into "may the best man win" type of situation.

Edit: I force seed around 400 torrents at a time. If i need to help out a particular torrent then i just pause all of them but that torrent, or just leave like 20 at a time to seed including that torrent.

1000possibleclaws
02-10-2008, 01:33 AM
cool, i thought the force thing was only for downloads.

I was mainly talking about initally seeding torrents on waffles. like, as in I'm the only seeder, and there is 1 leecher. My other torrents are taking priority over 2 torrents i've just uploaded that both have 1 downloader, and i feel bad that the downloader is getting no bandwidth at all

athenaesword
02-10-2008, 01:55 AM
personally, when i do pauses and forcestarts its' only when i'm desperate for ratio, and this often sacrifices maximising of my total upload bandwidth. for example with waffles the upload fluctuates like crazy and so although i'm uploading more to waffles, it's still less than what i normally would upload in total if i left all my trackers on.

nowadays, i just leave everything on and watch the ratio creep up slowly. i find it more balanced, not to mention economical, to have my upload maxed out instead of channeling upload bandwidth to one or 2 particular trackers, especially music trackers. 0 day trackers dont have that much of a problem.

grimms
02-10-2008, 02:15 AM
cool, i thought the force thing was only for downloads.

I was mainly talking about initally seeding torrents on waffles. like, as in I'm the only seeder, and there is 1 leecher. My other torrents are taking priority over 2 torrents i've just uploaded that both have 1 downloader, and i feel bad that the downloader is getting no bandwidth at all

Just put the priority to high(on all waffle torrents) and force seed all your waffles torrents, You should be fine then.

1000possibleclaws
02-10-2008, 02:20 AM
yeah I'm forcing the ones that have leechers, thanks for force seed tip. that's what i was looking for when i posted this.

grimms
02-10-2008, 02:34 AM
No problem, thats what we are here for to help out when we can, with much needed advice and tips.:yup:

jam0980tr
02-10-2008, 02:39 AM
hey just seed it ;) no need to cap just like my sig lol

1000possibleclaws
02-10-2008, 03:27 AM
hey just seed it ;) no need to cap just like my sig lol

lol It's just that I'm uploading my own stuff, and since I'm the only person one the torrent at the beginning, I feel bad when the upload is cut off due to either uploading other torrents, or since I'm downloading stuff at the same time.

SenorBubbz
02-10-2008, 03:43 AM
I was seeding at my max but then I stopped it all to go play Call of Duty 4 online and when I restarted it, I couldn't connect to any leechers, no matter what. And now my ratio is gonna die :'(

1000possibleclaws
02-10-2008, 04:03 AM
I was seeding at my max but then I stopped it all to go play Call of Duty 4 online and when I restarted it, I couldn't connect to any leechers, no matter what. And now my ratio is gonna die :'(

awww muffin :P

stoi
02-10-2008, 04:10 AM
sorry but this thread has made me :lol:

200 torrents

400 torrents

ffs and your uploading your own stuff as well, fair enough its only a music cd but i still wouldnt want to be a leecher on them.

but whatever, this is what we are trying to change over on BCG, which is why we have a seeding limit to get SP, i think 10 seeding is far to many, never mind 400.

1000possibleclaws
02-10-2008, 04:15 AM
lol stoi.. in english please? i don't get what part you're laughing at.. are you saying im uploading too much at the same time?

stoi
02-10-2008, 04:23 AM
umm yeah.

its no good seeding a torrent for 50 days and having an average upload of 2KBs on the thing (thats probably why you have had to seed it for 50 days)

I just pitty the leechers tbh, you probably got the torrent fast, and then your seeding that many torrents, your giving 1-2kbs to each one, ok great for your global ratio and e-penis on the trackers that your seeding at. but a pain in the arse for the leechers that want to get those torrents from you.

especially if your the only seed on a few of them (even 5-10 seeds)

also someone finishes it, becomes a seeder, has a ratio of over 1, as your not uploading, thinks ah well there is another seed on, i can just jump off, a leecher jumps on, gets 1KBs from you. but he cant ask for a reseed, as your seeding it. it would be better for him if you just left it, then he could ask for a reseed, and then get a faster speed on it.

I just cant get my head around members seeding over 10 torrents on BCG, never mind 100, and what is being said in this post is 400 torrents over all trackers.

and ppl complain about SB taking their bw, its usually members seeding to many torrents at one, and not giving enough to each torrent that the problem.

/end rant but it is something that realy narks me off lol

TP635
02-10-2008, 04:35 AM

Don't stop them; pause them.

1000possibleclaws
02-10-2008, 04:35 AM
k, I'm seeding 119 torrents at the moment.
42 are whatcd and alot of those are staff picks with like 500 seeds.
theres 8 waffles and i've uploaded all of them, and those are what im worried about
theres 11 stmusic torrents, i seed until i hit 1:1 there which is pretty fast cuz theres lots of leechers
theres about 35 more music torrents from specialized sites that im seeding

as you can see 95 out of 120 torrents are music torrents, so whatever, they'll get it in a couple hours or at most a day, i don't see a problem with that.

then 10 are 'placeholder' 1 kb torrents, i guess so that i wont have to worry about inactivity on some trackers that i dont frequent.

then the last few torrents are dvdr's, and yeah those people will get slow speeds on them but at least i'm not hit and running them so they can deal with it lol

athenaesword
02-10-2008, 04:40 AM
umm yeah.

its no good seeding a torrent for 50 days and having an average upload of 2KBs on the thing (thats probably why you have had to seed it for 50 days)

I just pitty the leechers tbh, you probably got the torrent fast, and then your seeding that many torrents, your giving 1-2kbs to each one, ok great for your global ratio and e-penis on the trackers that your seeding at. but a pain in the arse for the leechers that want to get those torrents from you.

especially if your the only seed on a few of them (even 5-10 seeds)

also someone finishes it, becomes a seeder, has a ratio of over 1, as your not uploading, thinks ah well there is another seed on, i can just jump off, a leecher jumps on, gets 1KBs from you. but he cant ask for a reseed, as your seeding it. it would be better for him if you just left it, then he could ask for a reseed, and then get a faster speed on it.

I just cant get my head around members seeding over 10 torrents on BCG, never mind 100, and what is being said in this post is 400 torrents over all trackers.

and ppl complain about SB taking their bw, its usually members seeding to many torrents at one, and not giving enough to each torrent that the problem.

/end rant but it is something that realy narks me off lol

if everyone seeded what they downloaded it wouldnt' be that big a problem really. with 50 seeds x 2kB/s u'll still get a pretty healthy speed. and u have to bear in mind that with 400 torrents seeding it's highly unlikely that all of them are being leeched at once, especially if it's a music tracker like waffles/what. heck, u'd be glad even 10% of them are being leeched.

and btw, what you just described of that person who leaves when he's gotten the torrent later than you because he has a ratio above one is actually a classic case of hit and run. that's the reason why there're torrents on what.cd that have 10 snatches and 1 seeder. bittorent thrives on having a high number of peers (seedboxes not included). if everyone seeded what they downloaded, u'll get healthy torrents even if each individual uploads at a slow speed.

edit: response to your later post: yeah if u're the uploader, by all means it makes sense to open up your bw to that particular torrent. =]

stoi
02-10-2008, 04:41 AM
k another rant then im going to bed lol

Bittorrent is not Emule or kazaa but thats what its turning out to be.

Emule you have loads of files on your PC and you give bits of each one at a slow rate to whoever requests it, so usually downloads are slow.

your doing the same thing with torrents, loads of torrents = bw spread out over them = slow downloads for leechers.

In over 5 years of using torrents, the maximum number of torrents i have ever had in my client is 6, and i felt realy bad having that many going.

And if i actually upload a torrent (used to do a lot before not so much now)then i stop all other torrents and give my full BW to that one im uploading, as i am the initial seed and no one else is going to take the burden off me, so its all down to me to get it out there as fast as possible.

/end this rant but i will probably be back later with another lol

as to the post above me, 50 X 2KBs - healthy speed, not if there is 20 leechers it wont be.

1000possibleclaws
02-10-2008, 04:52 AM
well stoi, you are a bittorrent hero :D