PDA

View Full Version : The end is near for illegal filesharing (UK)

Badass01
02-12-2008, 12:52 PM
Well, it was good while it lasted.

New laws coming in will mean that ISPs will give 2 warnings to customers downloading illegal material, and the third warning sees their Internet connection cut off.

So, is this the end for downloading illegal movies, music, etc., in the UK. If the law goes ahead, then I think it certainly is.

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/the_web/article3353387.ece
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7240234.stm

Wizard_Mon1
02-12-2008, 01:41 PM
Get a grip man! You really think it is that easy? If it was then they would have done it ages ago....

There are loads of issues with this, the data protection act, how they will differ between legal and illegal downloads, how they will find out who is downloading - existing methods of sharing fake files and tracking ips or forcing ISPs to give over info on high bandwidth users??

"Some of the UK's biggest internet providers, such as BT, Virgin and Tiscali have been in talks with the entertainment industry over introducing a voluntary scheme for policing pirate activity, but no agreement has been reached."

Key words are talks and voluntary and last statement makes it all a bit clearer.

So far, they have failed to resolve how disputed allegations would be arbitrated - for example, when customers claim other people have been "piggybacking" on their internet service.

'No liability'

The Internet Service Providers Association said data protection laws would prevent providers from looking at the content of information sent over their networks.

"ISPs are no more able to inspect and filter every single packet passing across their network than the Post Office is able to open every envelope," the association said.

"ISPs bear no liability for illegal file sharing as the content is not hosted on their servers," it added.

Basically a watch this space and see what they decide on. Until something is decided i wouldn't start throwing your HDs out of the window.! :D

SchiZZo
02-12-2008, 03:47 PM
How will they know that you're not downloading legally then? Are they gonna sit and look through hundreds of thousands or even millions of customers what they are downloading, imagine how much that will cost. And correct me if I'm wrong isn't it just to use a dynamic ip, then they got a even bigger problem. Then last but not least, the pirates is always one step ahead, some smart guy/girl will develope a program which will make it possible to safely use filesharing also in the future. Stay positive mate! :yup:

$SnoopDo2G$
02-12-2008, 04:01 PM
Same in France, but hey there are European Laws that contradict this shitty stuff...
i've read somewhere that ISP's can't give personal details of their customers and stuff like that...only if there was a Criminal Investigation goin' on, they could give the details... but i seriously doubt that they gonna prosecute millions of people...
the only thing they could do is to fish untill they find a big fish then make an example for other peopz...but hey you gotta be really unlucky to be busted for one or two albums that you dl somewhere... :lol:
Be optimistic and see what a great world we got here do far...

http://www.enregistrersous.com/images2/150180956520080206034517.gif

djkemp1
02-12-2008, 06:30 PM
would this be the same for people who download from newsgroups? as surely if they have ssl enabled accounts then it isn't possible to see what is being downloaded anyway as its encrypted?

Alien5
02-12-2008, 07:11 PM
Most Bit torrent users also have encryption enabled.

F3n1x
02-12-2008, 07:16 PM
well some new clients like deluge can avoid this measures.

4play
02-12-2008, 07:45 PM
This is unlikely to happen.

1) I am in a contract for 18 months with British Telecom for my broadband. All i need to do to get out of it is download illegal content three times. do you really think they want to lose 18 months of profit from potentially millions of customers.

2)your going to force encrypted networks to become the norm and there is no return from that point for the record associations.

3)how many people use the internet from home for work, lets see the courts try to find a way to remove peoples ability to work. im sure there is some kinda human right law for this one.

4)can they remove the internet from children considering its now become a basic learning tool for a lot of school children.

djkemp1
02-12-2008, 07:53 PM
so does anyone think this law will get passed then?? i just think it sounds ridiculous, how can isps be expected to filter content, how would it be done?

i read on another forum that they thought nothing would change apart from if universal, Warner bros etc see a person D/Ling a film et then they can report it straight back to your isp and then they by law have to issue the '1st strike'

do you think this will be the case or won't it be passed?

xJohnxSmithx
02-12-2008, 08:11 PM
well the simple solution is to rename everything so they say grandmas birthday #1 etc... ;) Sites can stay as is and just rename the torrents being transferred. :) Maybe we should start making the move now.

max59x
02-12-2008, 08:27 PM
God bless the Queen ! :P

But I don't think she'll help you out :D

Oh well, is this the end of UK-T?

Hopefully I don't live in the UK so It will last many more time for me, for you guys it's the end of the road :D :D

djkemp1
02-12-2008, 08:40 PM
i think not, its not going to happen. many people in the uk will get banned from the internet and isps will lose more and more money for wrongly accusing people of downloading copyrighted material and as i mentioned before, a lot of people who do download off of bittorrent and newsgroups etc use encryption which the isps cannot monitor as its encrypted between your computer and the host of the file so what they are saying is that they are going after easy prey 'revenue', why would they not try and stopt the people 'distributing' the files in the uk? if your just downloading you aren't posing a threat surely?

Torture_Artist
02-12-2008, 09:02 PM
Well, it was good while it lasted.

New laws coming in will mean that ISPs will give 2 warnings to customers downloading illegal material, and the third warning sees their Internet connection cut off.

So, is this the end for downloading illegal movies, music, etc., in the UK. If the law goes ahead, then I think it certainly is.

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/the_web/article3353387.ece
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7240234.stm

In the US downloading illegal material gets you a pretty hefty fine, if they catch you for over $200 worth, it's a felony, and you can get 2-9 yrs. in this state...

THIS CAN'T BE ENFORCED!

munkyboy04
02-12-2008, 09:59 PM
Check this out

http://torrentfreak.com/illegal-downloaders-will-not-face-uk-ban-080212/

mayby just more media bullshit?

mrnobody
02-12-2008, 11:39 PM
i don't see that happening

if just in case it does happen, there always is way around ;)

Sputnik
02-13-2008, 02:05 AM
We aren't that far along in big brother society for this to be acceptable yet, even if it was possible. Which it is obvious to almost everyone that this proposal certainly is not.

Laughable that it was being reported in the news as if it could happen, good old scare tactics for bigger audiences.

zemitras
02-13-2008, 02:19 AM
Not going to happen... Imagine how many people and companys would be banned... Every one donwloads or has downloaded something at some point... ISPs would bankrupt..

I don't believe in such thing

karmamen
02-13-2008, 10:50 AM
dont worry just use usenet and you are fine , giganews+v3 newsbin= happy free of fucked up us laws

deepee
02-13-2008, 04:03 PM
most of the bigger tracker staff are uk users... :-/

vaio
02-14-2008, 03:45 AM
it is not that easy

DasFox
02-18-2008, 04:01 AM
if you know what you are doing it's going to be hard to catch someone and prove anything.

It's just the noobs who are getting caught all the time, or the careless cranking out 24/7 downloads....

kondrae
02-18-2008, 07:36 AM
if you know what you are doing it's going to be hard to catch someone and prove anything.

It's just the noobs who are getting caught all the time, or the careless cranking out 24/7 downloads....

its gonna be the moms with 5 kids or old grammas that are gonna get disconnected, for using limewire, lol

ciprinho
02-18-2008, 05:47 PM
piracy in all her formes will never disapear, if a form a piracy is "killed" one way or another by the laws, other forms of sharing will apear...so don't worry

Dark Archon
02-23-2008, 12:52 PM
unfortunately Australia is going to impose similar anti-piracy laws with a 3-strike you are out system too...