PDA

View Full Version : Insufficient Hdd Space on brand new 500gb mybook.

athenaesword
02-12-2008, 01:58 PM
i just bought a WD 500gb mybook today. when i tried transferring some files over into the empty harddisk, it told me insufficient harddisk space. it's not possible since i was transferring a 50gb file into a 465gb empty drive. i tried several times and it gave me the same error.

i think i've had this problem before when i tried to tranfer big files into my friend's ext hdd, but i thought nothing of it cus i just assumed it could be a problem with his hdd.

anyone encountered this problem before of being unable to transfer files due to inaccurate feedback of insufficient hdd space?

appreciate some help thanks.

mbucari1
02-12-2008, 02:09 PM
hmm, might be the file system. I don't know anything about your specific config, but I do know that FAT32 has a max file size of 4GB. I think it gives you a similar error if you try to create a file larger than 4GB.

backlash
02-12-2008, 02:13 PM
yes, my books come formatted in FAt32. First thing you do when you get it is format in NTFS, which will take 1/2 hr or so then transfer away.

athenaesword
02-12-2008, 02:19 PM
yes, my books come formatted in FAt32. First thing you do when you get it is format in NTFS, which will take 1/2 hr or so then transfer away.

aright sweet. formatting in NTFS now. thanks for the info mate. =]