PDA

View Full Version : Careful when clicking links or sending mails

Cabalo
02-14-2008, 05:45 AM
Few minutes ago i got a PM from the most recently registered user at the board, with 0 posts and few mins register.
it asked me to email him and send him photos of stallone. :mellow: how odd, i thought... people have google...

it was clearly an attempt to know my IP, as it shows up in an email's header, made probably by some staff of a tracker that has been visiting my profile often and that i've known to want me banned cuz i criticized them publicly, i.e. at this forum. unfortunately for them i use different nicknames at most trackers, i have like 4 different ones. And it seems to be the best to do, to keep your privacy.

The above paragraph is just an assumption, but i don't believe in coincidences.

an advice to everyone, careful when clicking on links or sending mails, it's just a scheme to get your IP and leading to ban you from some tracker.

Unfortunately, this forum is being used for hunting down users in any possible manner, either for giving away, trading, criticizing or even plain being a member here.

please, which staff member do i have to contact to check the dupe account that was created to try to frame me?

Something Else
02-14-2008, 05:49 AM
What's your ip? :pinch:

Cabalo
02-14-2008, 05:50 AM
What's your ip? :pinch:127.0.0.1 :happy:

Polarbear
02-14-2008, 06:01 AM
Few minutes ago i got a PM from the most recently registered user at the board, with 0 posts and few mins register.
it asked me to email him and send him photos of stallone. :mellow: how odd, i thought... people have google...

it was clearly an attempt to know my IP, as it shows up in an email's header, made probably by some staff of a tracker that has been visiting my profile often and that i've known to want me banned cuz i criticized them publicly, i.e. at this forum. unfortunately for them i use different nicknames at most trackers, i have like 4 different ones. And it seems to be the best to do, to keep your privacy.

The above paragraph is just an assumption, but i don't believe in coincidences.

an advice to everyone, careful when clicking on links or sending mails, it's just a scheme to get your IP and leading to ban you from some tracker.

Unfortunately, this forum is being used for hunting down users in any possible manner, either for giving away, trading, criticizing or even plain being a member here.

please, which staff member do i have to contact to check the dupe account that was created to try to frame me?

why would you send emails to a stranger anyway? besides the ip my email is private as well.

about this whole tracker spy thing collecting ip's of fst members: don't get paranoid. if you follow tracker rules you have nothing to be afraid of.

th0r
02-14-2008, 06:04 AM
i've heard of members (tracker staff posing as members) embedding some kind of ip logger into their ratio screenshots or even signatures to catch you in the act

i'll go back to wearing my tin foil hat now ;{

amade
02-14-2008, 06:14 AM
Good advice. I never suspected ratio proof stuffs or signatures - I was just thinking that that would be OK as long as my id here and those in trackers are different...

BamZow
02-14-2008, 06:36 AM
him photos of stallone. :mellow: how odd, i thought... people have google...

it was clearly an attempt to know my IP, as it shows up in an email's header, made probably by some staff ....more text more text

Beware, itīs more easy than that. Like, if I set up a webserver at my computer, where I place my signature image and then send you a PM. When you then read the PM you will naturally automatically download the image from my webserver, where your IP is logged in the raw logs, together with the url that was used to access the image, the time it was downloaded, and then it isnīt hard to figure out which IP that belongs to you.
All users that see my image will be logged, but only one comes from an url that contains /private.php.

And for all people wearing tinfoil hats: I have no interest in collecting IPīs, so donīt be afraid to read my PMīs :)

mbucari1
02-14-2008, 06:43 AM
him photos of stallone. :mellow: how odd, i thought... people have google...

it was clearly an attempt to know my IP, as it shows up in an email's header, made probably by some staff ....more text more text

Beware, itīs more easy than that. Like, if I set up a webserver at my computer, where I place my signature image and then send you a PM. When you then read the PM you will naturally automatically download the image from my webserver, where your IP is logged in the raw logs, together with the url that was used to access the image, the time it was downloaded, and then it isnīt hard to figure out which IP that belongs to you.
All users that see my image will be logged, but only one comes from an url that contains /private.php.

And for all people wearing tinfoil hats: I have no interest in collecting IPīs, so donīt be afraid to read my PMīs :)LOL, have done that in the past just to spook someone :lol:, except I used a 1x1 transparent gif in the message.

horiZen
02-14-2008, 06:52 AM
was going to comment, but better not,,lol

suffice to say if you NOT ALLOWED to trade certain sites--then DON'T

Cabalo
02-14-2008, 02:09 PM
was going to comment, but better not,,lol

suffice to say if you NOT ALLOWED to trade certain sites--then DON'T
are u dumb? read the post. where does it say trade?

why would you send emails to a stranger anyway? besides the ip my email is private as well.

about this whole tracker spy thing collecting ip's of fst members: don't get paranoid. if you follow tracker rules you have nothing to be afraid of.

haven't broken any, just they don't like to be publicly criticized outside their tracker, but that's their problem.

Swift
02-14-2008, 02:15 PM
Thx Cabalo for the info good thing you post this cuz there are lost of scammers !!

dunson
02-14-2008, 02:16 PM
That's pretty pathetic. Watch out for the script kiddies hidden in well-concealed links. I've seen people compromise their real name and school email on another forum just this way.

mrnobody
02-14-2008, 02:20 PM

http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-report-section-72/

btw if you want to hide ur ip that bad, i think you should use some ip hiding software to browse these forum.

otherwise you are leaving ur ip trace by visiting a site, link, image or even contacting via email or IM.

Cabalo
02-14-2008, 02:31 PM

http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-report-section-72/

btw if you want to hide ur ip that bad, i think you should use some ip hiding software to browse these forum.

otherwise you are leaving ur ip trace by visiting a site, link, image or even contacting via email or IM.
i won't bother doing such a thing. got nothing to hide.
thanx for the info, didn't remember checking there! :yup:

dunson
02-14-2008, 03:05 PM
Speaking of IPs and forums. When someone has a little banner that shows your IP address etc, I assume they don't have a log of that, do they? That'd be an amazing invasion of privacy that seems to be tolerated on a lot of sites.

rvt
02-14-2008, 04:40 PM
127.0.0.1 :happy:

Yeah, thanks a bunch for giving out my IP in public.
You suck!

:P

supper
02-14-2008, 04:55 PM
thats happend here while ago some one sent pms to some members here at that time i was allowing to receive pms via email and i got hacked on many trackers i had some i got it back and the others just gone i still dont know how he stolen my passwords untell now but i think to use proxy is a safe option to u in public forum like here and if u will use avatar or add signture dont upload it with ur real ip also.

oh and to use proxy its dosent necessary mean u trying to hide something bad but u trying to hide ur privacy info here thats all...

Dark Archon
02-14-2008, 05:48 PM
thats happend here while ago some one sent pms to some members here at that time i was allowing to receive pms via email and i got hacked on many trackers i had some i got it back and the others just gone i still dont know how he stolen my passwords untell now but i think to use proxy is a safe option to u in public forum like here and if u will use avatar or add signture dont upload it with ur real ip also.

oh and to use proxy its dosent necessary mean u trying to hide something bad but u trying to hide ur privacy info here thats all...

hmm I will try enhance my own security. thanks

KFlint
02-14-2008, 05:56 PM
127.0.0.1 :happy:

Yeah, thanks a bunch for giving out my IP in public.
You suck!

:P

LIAR, it's mine :cry::cry:

nixonsparanoia
02-15-2008, 02:13 AM
How effective is the IP change I get when i restart my modem? Does it cycle through a limited number of IP addresses; meaning it will eventually return to the one that was banned or compromised? What sort of security does turning my modem on and off frequently provide?

rocky1234
02-15-2008, 02:24 AM
This is insane. Knowing IP by an means what so ever to ban a user. What will happen if a user has a dynamic IP ??

mrnobody
02-15-2008, 02:28 AM
Speaking of IPs and forums. When someone has a little banner that shows your IP address etc, I assume they don't have a log of that, do they? That'd be an amazing invasion of privacy that seems to be tolerated on a lot of sites.

no lol

those banner show IP address of whoever is viewing it (including the person who posted it)

Neo
02-15-2008, 02:50 AM
How effective is the IP change I get when i restart my modem? Does it cycle through a limited number of IP addresses; meaning it will eventually return to the one that was banned or compromised? What sort of security does turning my modem on and off frequently provide?

I'm sorry for my ignorance but I share this member's doubt. Does anyone know if this is effective in anyway?

Thx in advance.

mrnobody
02-15-2008, 03:04 AM

I'm sorry for my ignorance but I share this member's doubt. Does anyone know if this is effective in anyway?

Thx in advance.

i think if you have dynamic ip then it changes as u restart the modem but still it's not gonna be totally different ip but just a lil different by some #s

th0r
02-15-2008, 03:12 AM

i'm assuming you have a dynamic ip address ... you'll get a new ip address that's near the same range, e.g. if you're old ip address was aa.bb.cc.dd.e, you're new ip address would be something like aa.cc.de.ffg.h or something along those lines; you won't get a completely different ip address like fff.g.hhh.i or something because it's coming from the same place, unless you're spoofing your ip address ;/

turning off your modem time and time again won't do you much good because there will always be those 1 or 2 sections of similar digits that can be linked back to your original bad ip address; if can be evasive, however, if you were banned from a single ip (which is dumb), in which if you reset your modem your ip will refresh to something similar, but different

edit: fuck you, squirr3l

Neo
02-15-2008, 03:20 AM
Thank you squirr3l and th0r. That's more or less what I thought. Most numbers will remain the same. It is therefore easily tracable...

But when trackers ban ONE IP ( not a range ) it is usually the registering IP, isn't it? They don't keep track of all the login IP's do they? If a person accessed from a wide range of IP's it should be o.k. to register again using one of those...

I'm asking this out of pure curiosity.

nixonsparanoia
02-15-2008, 03:24 AM
So is similar but different enough to provide me with some sense of anonymity, or will the person still be able to figure out it's me?

th0r
02-15-2008, 03:28 AM
Thank you squirr3l and th0r. That's more or less what I thought. Most numbers will remain the same. It is therefore easily tracable...

But when trackers ban ONE IP ( not a range ) it is usually the registering IP, isn't it? They don't keep track of all the login IP's do they? If a person accessed from a wide range of IP's it should be o.k. to register again using one of those...

possibly; but then again, with such a wide range of varying ip address, the question of account sharing/trading comes up; if staff sees that ip ban and can match it to the parsed ip addresses of that account that come and go with that same account, then you'd be in more trouble

i'm not a programmer nor a staff member of any trackers, so i can't safely say whether or not trackers cache all ip addresses that view every account in some kind of encrypted log file, but i think it's safe so say that they do

mrnobody
02-15-2008, 03:34 AM
edit: fuck you, squirr3l

<3

i think it depends on the script the tracker uses

i am sure most sites do have a way to track all ip logs for each account (notice i didn't say all site have those logs coz i know some don't)

and that is how they usually decent account trading- ip change

if you wanna get have a different IP for particular site, i have heard someone mention 'use private proxy' (i think you have to pay or something...idk) or you can use 'ip changer' (software) and use a particular ip, ip range or a proxy they provide.

edit: boogie th0r

Neo
02-15-2008, 03:45 AM
Yeah... I remember one time when I thought I had been banned from SITR just to find out that in fact they had banned an all range of IP's coming from my ISP... It turns out that they had a lot of cheaters coming from that ISP and I was caught in middle. It was a bit dramatic for me at the time cause SITR was one of the first trackers I had. I couldn't even access their page let alone try to login.I could only access through a proxy and that was so much slower that I just gave up... Later I managed to register with a different IP when I changed ISP.