PDA

View Full Version : bloody tampons

Alien5
02-15-2008, 12:46 AM
:sick: Most people tend to notice that pads, tampons and applicators cause a massive amount of waste. It's not people aren't concerned; most women just aren't aware of the alternatives to conventional pads and tampons.

Alternatives

Stores and pharmacies don't normally carry alternative menstrual products, which is why most people haven't heard of them. Also, Americans are squeamish about menstruation in the first place and don't talk about it often. Many gynecologists aren't even aware of alternatives, despite the fact that most are safe, if not FDA-approved!

So what are the alternatives?

Store-bought pads and tampons

Aside from being excessively wasteful (the web links all feature statistics- check them out), most of these products are made with synthetic fibers and bleach. Bleaching increases the consumer's exposure to dioxins and other carcinogens (also known as "cancer causing agents"). Exposure to carcinogens is just one of the many reasons people avoid meat and other conventional food products.

Even normal exposure, just once a month, can be harmful. As well as physical waste, conventional paper products usually include plastic or adhesives including plastic tampon applicators, the backing on pads, etc. These materials aren't biodegradable.

Tampons can also cause Toxic Shock Syndrome. It's rare, but can happen in anyone, even a woman who's been using tampons for years. In fact, most cases of TSS occur in women using tampons. Tampon boxes contain information on TSS, but you can also find information online at Toxic Shock Information Services.

Conventional menstrual products can be costly because they must be replaced often. They're also inconvenient (having to pack your bag with so many) and none too discreet. The only positive is that they're disposable, which can be convenient at school or work. For more info check out:

Student Environmental Action Coalition
Dangers of Tampons and Dioxin

Organic cotton pads and tampons

These are an excellent choice for women who are just starting out with eco-friendly menstrual products; those just starting menstruation in the first place; or those who prefer a disposable alternative. They are regular pads and tampons made of 100% natural, unbleached cotton, without added chemicals. Overall, these products decrease the user's exposure to toxins and they are less damaging to the environment because they are produced in a more sustainable manner.

The main drawback is the cost. These products tend to cost a bit more than regular pads/tampons if you buy from your local health food store. Buying in bulk and buying off the Internet can help lower the financial cost, but they still produce waste. For more info check out:

Luna Pads
NatraCare
Organic Essentials

Washable pads or "rags"

These are a major pull away from "normal" products; soft cloth pads that you use, wash, and then reuse. It's really less icky than it sounds.

Washable pads come in two styles- "AIO," or all in one, and "liner/holder" sets. The "AIO" pads are just like conventional pads, except they are cloth. "Liner/holder" sets include the two parts to the pad, the liner and holder. When you "change your pad," you change both parts. The advantage of "liner/holder" is that you can adjust the absorbency of the pad and many people believe they are easier to get clean.

These products are a little inconvenient when used as a primary source of protection, because they must be changed every three or four hours, depending on your flow. Cloth pads are good for night or backup use. Just by using cloth pads at night, you cut waste by 1/3. Using them as a backup for an internal product also works well since they don't need to be changed as often.

The main disadvantage is initial cost. Investing in a good set can cost upwards of $60. Costs can be decreased by ordering handmade cloth pads at eBay, obtaining from an individual maker, or making them yourself (it's not hard). Just ordering them for night or backup use is also cheap.

The advantages include comfort, long-run savings, much less environmental waste, and they seem to be more absorbent. For more info check out

Scarleteen
Luna Pads
Glad Rags
The Keeper Shop
Sponges

Here's where we get abstract. Sea sponges are small, strawberry-sized sponges that are used like tampons. It sounds gross but EVERYBODY who uses tampons should at least try sponges. To use sea sponges just insert, remove, wash with water, then reinsert. It's ridiculously easy. What complicates the matter is dealing with squeamish people in a public restroom. The only thing preventing sponges from being really popular is the fact that you wouldn't dare try washing one out in a public sink. (Editor's note: Understandably, in the age of AIDS, people are concerned about exposure to bodily fluids. Please keep this in mind when using any biological product)

Seriously, don't do it. I tried, thinking that if anyone gave me a strange look, I would rationally say "it's a menstrual sponge; yes, I'm having my period, which isn't too unusual if you think about it." But there is just no reasoning with people on this. Definitely don't try it at school or when young children are around.

Sponges would suit you best if you have a regular or light flow. I have a heavy flow and they worked wonderfully as well. If you're interested but attend work or school, the best way is to take a water bottle into the stall with you and wash them out that way. People will ask what the hell you are doing, but tell them to mind their own business. It works!! =)

The disadvantage is that they can be inconvenient, have to be replaced every 6 months. They are, technically, an animal product, too. But think of how many aquatic animals you're saving by not using tampons.

peat moss
02-15-2008, 01:43 AM
Oh great and who run's out to the store late at night to buy said product the men of course ? I think I could handle asking for Glad Rags tho , I'd just tell the clerk their great for messy spills like oil ...

chalice
02-15-2008, 01:52 AM
I have been sent out to buy them.

Trick is, the garage was closed so my opportunity to buy sanitary towels was squashed.

I am interminably apologetic but that doesn't stop the flow.

kittybewm
02-15-2008, 02:02 AM
Ah and I just got my period today too. Are you a bloody psychic alien?

chalice
02-15-2008, 02:06 AM
Ah and I just got my period today too. Are you a bloody psychic alien?

Naw, it's just that all the females in the lounge tend to synchronize.

Squeamous
02-15-2008, 07:39 AM
I don't use any of those Alien. I use the mooncup (http://www.mooncup.co.uk/)

It's just a silicon funnel you insert in you like a diaphragm (but a lot easier). You change it as regularly as a tampon and there's no leakage. You can wear them swimming or exercising, and you don't have to worry about selecting the right absorbancy and all that fuss. You have one for under 30s women who haven't had kids and another for all others. You just change the thing every 5-8 hours by removing and tipping the contents into the loo. You rinse it off with some bottled water and reinsert. I've not had to use any sanitary products at all for 6 months.

It's also not animal derived, which is good for me 'cos I'm a veggie :).

Skweeky
02-15-2008, 11:16 AM
That sounds excellent

kallieb
02-15-2008, 03:01 PM
Don't you worry about making sloshing sounds when you walk about. For the heavy days I mean.

Squeamous
02-18-2008, 12:10 PM
:lol:

Are you insinuating I'm cavernous?

:P

Something Else
02-18-2008, 12:17 PM
My wifey uses a mooncup too. :emo:

I've seen it. :pinch:

Squeamous
02-18-2008, 05:37 PM
Well she has to suffer the indignity of a period....the least she can do is rub your nose in it. So to speak :unsure:.

Barbarossa
02-18-2008, 05:39 PM
A friend of mine had one of those inter-uterine coils fitted, and her periods disappeared. True Story. :O

EDIT: So stop fucking moaning already, wimmen :whistling

CrabGirl
02-18-2008, 10:10 PM
A friend of mine had one of those inter-uterine coils fitted, and her periods disappeared. True Story. :O

Yeh we've talked about this before. The Coil which makes your menses disappear is the Mirena. Your periods may stop, but you experience nasty pains in your womb and down your legs all the time it is in, not to mention the fucking absulute agony of having it shoved up your uterus. You put on weight like no-ones business, you turn into a crying depressive psycho and have no energy to do anything and the doctors deny it's anything to do with the hormones in the coil, yet when it's removed in a horrible, agonising, humiliating procedure, the pains go, and you start feeling better in the months after.

I'd rather take the normal blood and pain thanks. At least I know where I am with that. Boys I'll say it again but if your woman has the Mirena fitted and she's gone weird then get it removed. :angry::angry:

Squeamous
02-18-2008, 10:19 PM

Are you sure they didn't shove it up her arse by accident and she was actually pregnant?