PDA

View Full Version : Solicitor's Letter

chalice
02-15-2008, 01:35 PM
Just got a fucking tome of a letter from some solicitors in London.

They reckon I should give them 500 squids for stealing Call Of Juarez (which is fucking shite btw) or they will start court proceedings.

Should I pay? Or what?

Barbarossa
02-15-2008, 01:47 PM
No, I would tell them it was fucking shite and you're not paying.

In fact, they should pay you £500 for the trouble you went to, and the distress caused.

Biggles
02-15-2008, 01:50 PM
No, I would tell them it was fucking shite and you're not paying.

In fact, they should pay you £500 for the trouble you went to, and the distress caused.

At least £500 should go to you - there ought to be laws against making shite movies available for stealage.

chalice
02-15-2008, 02:02 PM
Tell me what to do, youse cunts.

Don't really give a fuck meself but the missus will.

She's all honest about stuff and that. lol fag.

chalice
02-15-2008, 02:37 PM
Been doing some reading.

Interesting discussion here. http://www.slyck.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=39877&sid=cd3a187a7857cc3bf6a62b4be3b7825c&p=454945

Have decided to wait for another letter to come before I start stressing about it. At the very most, if push comes to shove, I will pay the retail price of the game and fuck all else.

Fuck them cunts at BT for giving out my details.

Biggles
02-15-2008, 02:41 PM
Been doing some reading.

Interesting discussion here. http://www.slyck.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=39877&sid=cd3a187a7857cc3bf6a62b4be3b7825c&p=454945

Have decided to wait for another letter to come before I start stressing about it. At the very most, if push comes to shove, I will pay the retail price of the game and fuck all else.

Are BT allowed to do that? :unsure:

100%
02-15-2008, 02:41 PM
indeed, wait till they come with real evidence warning.
Is it normal practice that there should be three warnings before a court case?

chalice
02-15-2008, 02:44 PM
Been doing some reading.

Are BT allowed to do that? :unsure:

Apparently so. They're even throwing in administration costs incurred for contacting the ISP.

Wankpots.

Something Else
02-15-2008, 02:44 PM
As far as I know. You can write back to them saying you have stopped sharing the file and it was due to an underage person using your internets unsupervised. Or there is the 'someone was on my wireless' excuse. But if comes down to it, if you buy a copy off ebay they can't prove you didn't already own it. BT are cunts.

Something Else
02-15-2008, 02:46 PM
What app were you sharing it with, like.
emule or torrent or something else.

chalice
02-15-2008, 02:49 PM
Bitcomet, mate. It was yonks ago like.

That's listed in the letter too.

Biggles
02-15-2008, 03:01 PM
Bitcomet, mate. It was yonks ago like.

That's listed in the letter too.

According to that link these shower of leeches have been pinging letters out to all and sundry. Some of the people on that site said they didn't download the game and yet still have a letter. Some got their letter a year ago and still haven't paid and yet no court letter has appeared.

Is this some sort of scam? It sounds like it.

Something Else
02-15-2008, 03:03 PM
Yeah I agree with Les. Ignore it. See what happens.

chalice
02-15-2008, 03:08 PM
Thanks lads.

I'm all reassured now.

Fuck 'em, that's what I say, fuck all them cunts.

kallieb
02-15-2008, 03:12 PM
that's the spirit. Pirates we are. and if that doesn't work. Act like a loon and freak em out.

clocker
02-15-2008, 03:34 PM
You can write back to them saying you have stopped sharing the file and it was due to an underage person using your internets unsupervised.
That suggestion borders on the insane.
The second you admit anything they'll attack like rabid dogs.

Chalice- admit nothing, say nothing, deny everything.
Make the bastards prove you even own a computer.

chalice
02-15-2008, 03:35 PM
You can write back to them saying you have stopped sharing the file and it was due to an underage person using your internets unsupervised.

Will do. Cheers Clocker.

Something Else
02-15-2008, 03:41 PM

That does work for a cease and desist notice, or it used to but this is different. Silly iTS cunt. :rolleyes:

Biggles
02-15-2008, 03:42 PM
Sound advice from Clocker - the "I must have been hacked" defence is only if it actually gets to court.

I think there needs to be an assessment of which companies are employing these goons and a consequential spate of bad publicity and boycott of their products. A hefty whack of that £500 will go to the flash lawyers but it is the company that is employing them to cripple ordinary punters that needs a kicking.

chalice
02-15-2008, 03:44 PM

That does work for a cease and desist notice, or it used to but this is different. Silly iTS cunt. :rolleyes:

Beat him soundly Ben, beat him soundly. He nearly got my poor innocent son sent to the YOC. Another criminal in the family. :rolleyes:

chalice
02-15-2008, 03:58 PM
Sound advice from Clocker - the "I must have been hacked" defence is only if it actually gets to court.

I think there needs to be an assessment of which companies are employing these goons and a consequential spate of bad publicity and boycott of their products. A hefty whack of that £500 will go to the flash lawyers but it is the company that is employing them to cripple ordinary punters that needs a kicking.

The company in this case is Techland S.p.z.o.o. Cawksuckers.

When I think of all the stuff I've stolen over the years. It would amount to serious dosh, like and I go and get pulled up for a shite game.

It's like robbing a bank and getting arrested for stealing a packet of chewing gum.

Biggles
02-15-2008, 04:03 PM

The company in this case is Techland S.p.z.o.o. Cawksuckers.

When I think of all the stuff I've stolen over the years. It would amount to serious dosh, like and I go and get pulled up for a shite game.
It's like robbing a bank and getting arrested for stealing a packet of chewing gum.

Prolly wouldn't use that as a defence line either.

:ermm: I am going to make sure SGG hasn't downloaded any of this stuff when I get home. My P2P skills never got beyond the odd classic music track.

Something Else
02-15-2008, 04:05 PM
99% of the time it's public trackers that will get you caught. Using encryption in µTorrent is a good idea too.

Biggles
02-15-2008, 04:06 PM
99% of the time it's public trackers that will get you caught. Using encryption in µTorrent is a good idea too.

Wibble :huh:

chalice
02-15-2008, 04:07 PM

Yep, it was a public tracker. It was one of Dopeman's rips. I reckon they're monitoring his activity to the max, like.

Something Else
02-15-2008, 04:08 PM
Wubble http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/3633/robotip7.gif (http://imageshack.us)

MsDraginGirl
02-15-2008, 05:55 PM
I wouldn't know about that, sir. :blink:

Something Else
02-16-2008, 02:56 AM
Maybe you should change your provider.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=shMUlnetAA8

chalice
02-16-2008, 03:30 PM
Can't go through the rest of my sorry existence without stealing stuffs.

The prospect is too daunting. My kleptomania must be sated.

Some security/proxy/client advice from you thieving bar stewards would be greatly appreciated. As long as it's free, like.

thebazzla
02-16-2008, 03:37 PM
my advice would be never use public sites:rolleyes: seriously though was you with bt when you got that letter, because a friend of mine got 1 a while back using bt

100%
02-16-2008, 03:40 PM
maybe check that the solicitors letter is authentic, could be one of your buddies trying to make some easy dosh.

utorrent - disable dht &enable encryption
+
peerguardian
both will help somewhat

chalice
02-16-2008, 03:41 PM
my advice would be never use public sites:rolleyes: seriously though was you with bt when you got that letter, because a friend of mine got 1 a while back using bt

I very rarely use public trackers. That's the way the crumble cookies, I suppose.

Yep, I'm not fucking happy with BT at all at all.

How long ago did your mate get the letter? And what did he do about it?

chalice
02-16-2008, 03:43 PM
maybe check that the solicitors letter is authentic, could be one of your buddies trying to make some easy dosh.

utorrent - disable dht &enable encryption
+
peerguardian
both will help somewhat

Cheers Zed, will investigate further.

The solicitor's are completely legit by the looks of things. They're called Davenport Lyons.

thebazzla
02-16-2008, 03:46 PM
he got it over a year ago when he was using dc++ they said he was uploading some film and he wrote back that his ip was hacked and he never heard anymore off them but he did change his ip as BT have a habit for disclosing ips

100%
03-29-2008, 05:56 PM
Any news on your upcoming incarceration?

chalice
03-30-2008, 08:51 AM
Not a whisper, Zed.

As JP said in another fred, there will be plenty of other poor twats who will draw fire on it.

It seems like a mass gamble on the company's part. Some will pay, some will go to court and pay. Personally, I'm just ignoring the fuck out of it until something else develops. If it does come to court, I'll pay but until then fuck it. It wasn't a registered letter so I can always deny ever receiving it.

I suspect though that it was just scare tactics. Famous last words.

J-dye
03-30-2008, 09:32 AM
so they are not going to hang you ? :sadwalk:

chalice
03-30-2008, 09:34 AM
Not if I get there first.

Sue my gently swaying corpse youse cunts!! That'll teach 'em.

Win for me.