PDA

View Full Version : water cooling?

AmpeD
02-17-2008, 02:10 AM
My dad wants me to water cool his pc because he hates the noise from fans, and I have never used water cooling before. What do I need to buy?

heres the config for the rest of the pc:
Pioneer 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model DVR-115DBK - OEM
Antec Performance One P180 Silver cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
SAMSUNG SpinPoint T Series HD501LJ 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
EVGA 320-P2-N811-AR GeForce 8800GTS 320MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
Antec NeoPower 550 ATX12V 550W Power Supply - Retail
G.SKILL 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ - Retail
GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3P LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Dynamic Energy Saver Ultra Durable II Intel Motherboard - Retail
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor Model BX80562Q6600 - Retail

To liquid cool I was looking at this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118111
what else do I need to go with that/ how easy is it to setup?

thanks

Cabalo
02-17-2008, 02:13 AM
your dad should be aware that u also need fans to cool the radiator, usually AT LEAST 2x 120mm fans.

i use watercooling and if u spend some bux and buy some decent and expensive noisblocker fans, it should help.
anyway, everything is more quiet than stock cooling fans!

edit: that zalman system sucks big time and has a very poor performance (i assume you are going to OC the system). only custom built systems are worth, but if u don't have the knowledge, ask someone near you to mount you a system, it's soooo easy once u see how it's done.

clocker
02-17-2008, 02:21 AM
Is this PC already assembled and running?

Edit:Here's (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=34877) 179 pages of watercooled rigs.
Probably best to skip to the end to see the most current kit.

AmpeD
02-17-2008, 02:42 AM
your dad should be aware that u also need fans to cool the radiator, usually AT LEAST 2x 120mm fans.

i use watercooling and if u spend some bux and buy some decent and expensive noisblocker fans, it should help.
anyway, everything is more quiet than stock cooling fans!

edit: that zalman system sucks big time and has a very poor performance (i assume you are going to OC the system). only custom built systems are worth, but if u don't have the knowledge, ask someone near you to mount you a system, it's soooo easy once u see how it's done.
hes nt going to OC the system any (I know, its a sweet rig to oc but hes against modding for some reason and wont change his mind)
all the water cooling needs to do is an adequate job, he doesnt play any games either. and that zalman system is fanless, so it should be zero noise.
do you think its enough to keep the system from melting/crashing?
also, does that zalman kit have everything I need or will I need to buy extra hoses and cooling blocks?

clocker
02-17-2008, 03:10 AM
Why do I think you've already decided on the Reserator no matter what anyone says?

AmpeD
02-17-2008, 03:19 AM
because I pretty much have. I just want to be sure that that is all I need or are there extra parts. also i just want to make sure I wont need to use any fans at all?

clocker
02-17-2008, 03:27 AM
Of course you'll need fans.
The heatpiping and RAM sticks both depend on the outflow of air from the stock cooler, which you plan on removing.

Also, what do intend to do about the vid card?

AmpeD
02-17-2008, 03:59 AM
can I water cool it? do I need to buy another cooling block/hoses?

clocker
02-17-2008, 04:23 AM
Yeah, you would.

I'll just get this out of the way right now...
That 1st gen Reserator is going to be marginal for just the quad cpu and will melt if you add the gpu as well.
The v2 Reserator (here (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118015)) includes a vga block (don't know if it'll fit your card...) and has an upgraded pump as well.

Still won't be my first (or second or third or...) choice though.

AmpeD
02-17-2008, 05:38 AM
sounds like water cooling is not that great for noise reduction then. I guess I will just run a dvi thru the wall and put it in the closet.

clocker
02-17-2008, 11:47 AM
sounds like water cooling is not that great for noise reduction then.
It certainly can be but you've gone about this backwards.

First of all, you don't know what kind of heatload the waterloop needs to handle.

Secondly, you don't know how noisy the stock system is.

Finally, you're putting the system into one of the worst cases for airflow possible...the P180 is sold as a "silent" case and the main way they achieve that is to insulate the case and minimize the number of openings.

If you're dead set on the Antec case, at least get the P182 (basically, a revision of the 180) which has slightly better wiring options and do some research on your board layout and the lengths of the necessary leads on the power supply.
That case places the PSU in the bottom compartment and some power supplies are really stretched to reach the 4/8 pin aux. power connector.

Did your Dad pick these parts or did you?

AmpeD
02-17-2008, 08:16 PM
Ok, I will order the parts first and put them together (I checked out that psu length issue, it should be fine).
but which case should I get if I want it to be quiet, but I also want to leave my options open for possibly water cooling it?

I like antec cases if at all possible, but could also go for a cooler master. I dont care too much about looks and flashy led's, just functionality.

all the parts are flexible, if you have any other suggestions. I will probably order them within a week.

Edit:
what about these cases?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129021
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133132
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119077

clocker
02-17-2008, 11:29 PM
Ok, now we're talking.

Of the three cases you listed, the only one I like is, oddly enough, the cheapest.
The Centurions are great value for the money but you'd be really challenged if at a later date you wanted to watercool it.
Also, I'm completely mystified why anyone is buying quad core chips at this point.

I'd recommend the parts list I just posted here. (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-hardware-24/t-a-great-gaming-pc-278378#post2672853)
This setup would easily allow for futute upgrades and the case can handle anything you want to throw into it...including a nice, high end watercooling loop.

kaiweiler
02-18-2008, 04:27 AM
Yeah hold off on the quad I would say, Intel's new 45nm quads are just around the corner.

clocker
02-18-2008, 02:07 PM
Yeah hold off on the quad I would say, Intel's new 45nm quads are just around the corner.
True, but is that really the point?

I think the relevant question should be, "What am I doing today that would benefit from four cores?"

Note the emphasis on "today" as I also posit that building for the future is a hopelessly quixotic endeavor.
By the time the future rolls around, everything you have will be obsolete and probably won't be suitable anyway.

Hell, my machine- which won't even be assembled till next weekend- is already old hat, but will be a giant step above the current PC and will show benefits immediately instead of the hazy future.

To be completely honest, I don't even need to upgrade at all but I've gotten pretty good at selling off my kit while it still has some value and buying a few levels below cutting edge, so I can play with "new" hardware without paying a huge cutting edge penalty.

athenaesword
02-22-2008, 01:22 AM
True, but is that really the point?

I think the relevant question should be, "What am I doing today that would benefit from four cores?"

Note the emphasis on "today" as I also posit that building for the future is a hopelessly quixotic endeavor.
By the time the future rolls around, everything you have will be obsolete and probably won't be suitable anyway.

Hell, my machine- which won't even be assembled till next weekend- is already old hat, but will be a giant step above the current PC and will show benefits immediately instead of the hazy future.

To be completely honest, I don't even need to upgrade at all but I've gotten pretty good at selling off my kit while it still has some value and buying a few levels below cutting edge, so I can play with "new" hardware without paying a huge cutting edge penalty.
that's what i do too. my upgrade from the p4 rig to the e6750+8800gt+crucial ballistix 2gb cost me about 500bucks. it was a 2year old rig that i was upgrading. waiting any longer would actually set me back alot more i would think.

i also agree about the part about not building for the future, because they're painfuly expensive to build, and by the time u're prepared to change again u're probably gonna get better for a much lower price than the obsolete stuff u get now.