T0T4L
02-20-2008, 09:35 AM
OVH.com sell 1Gbps and also 2Gbps

FileZ
02-20-2008, 04:04 PM
i think OVh is the best server now

SgtMajor
02-20-2008, 07:47 PM
I think it is time I went OVH with Linux.

Anyone want to help with some hints, which distro to start off with would be the first step?

aysomc
02-20-2008, 08:00 PM
TOO MUCH SPEED!!!

im still amazed when i see anything over 4 mb/s and here you guys are talking about Gbit servers, i doubt its necessary unless you're an uploader for a really active tracker but i guess i would do the same if i had the means.

Partyrasier
02-20-2008, 08:05 PM
1Gbit lol 100mb is fast enough

SgtMajor
02-20-2008, 08:09 PM
No wai could I/would I ever spend too much on a seedbox, but as my telephone line & internet have reduced in costs, I can afford to spend what I save on a seedbox, but iGB boxes are way out of my league.

The nice £40pm 750GB box is just what I was looking for, but the only free distro is a linux one, hence my request above :)

tusks
02-20-2008, 08:31 PM
SgtMajor,

I'd recommend something like Ubuntu or CentOS for beginners to intermediate users. Both have excellent package management systems and are actively developed. You should be able to download and install a build of wine for utorrent, run azureus, set up an FTP with SSL fairly easily for both these distros. Also, both distros have really large communities for support.

Edit: Sorry for hijacking your thread Filez :( Potentially, you could go above 2 Gbit/s but I have no idea what hosting company would offer a package above 2Gbit/s.

SaRkAsM
02-20-2008, 09:55 PM
OVH.com sell 1Gbps and also 2Gbps

you really don't need anything higher than 100 mbit... anything higher should be for uploaders or peeps sharing boxes.

WarrenBuffet
02-21-2008, 02:22 AM
http://www.ovh.com/fr/particulier/produits/xeonquadcore.xml

there, now stfu

BlueLabel
02-21-2008, 03:03 AM
if your country not in that list you can not order from them

http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/7060/1234567cc5.jpg

fatcat69
02-21-2008, 03:20 AM
2gbs is a waste if you are a torrentor. You wont utilize it ever.

For torrents 100mb/s is fine enough, anything more is just overkill and a waste of your money as only in network speeds will reach that high.

On a side note...I know of VPS's that have kicked OvH boxes out of the water peer connection rate wise...so just bc you hear that they are kick ass or you see them seeding a shit load...9 times out of 10 all their seeding is internal network traffic (meaning between other OvH boxes) thats why they are transferring so much so fast, it isnt out of network traffic at all. your peer connection rate outside of OvH's network is anything but good.

Wizzcameron
02-21-2008, 05:52 AM
what is the fast seedbox ?
i think it 2 gbits but i dont know company

I have run a 2gbit box with Softlayer for 2 months during a large Freeleech Session at ScT.

To go with that kind of connection you do need some serious hardware and unless you have good routing its not going to make a difference, which is big problem with OVH.

Another thing to note is most windows torrent clients do start to humm and harr when they top 64mb/s.

At the end of the day you are going to need to keep in mind your going to need a small block of ip addresses to take a large number of incoming connections. you are also going to need x4 SATAII hard drives in Raid0 or x2/3 15,000RPM SCSI drives, 2-8GB Ram depending on your torrent habits. You are also going to need a decent processor.

For those interested a setup like this through Softlayer with 4TB is going to set you back somewhere in the region of 500-800USD per month.

SgtMajor
02-21-2008, 06:22 AM
I have run a 2gbit box with Softlayer for 2 months during a large Freeleech Session at ScT.

For those interested a setup like this through Softlayer with 4TB is going to set you back somewhere in the region of 500-800USD per month.

k'nell, more money than sense :P

I can get more than 4TB on my little hosting thing for 50E pm on a good month, I think I will stick with what I know! :D

SaRkAsM
02-21-2008, 12:40 PM
problem with OVH is most is .FR based meaning not very good routing...

SgtMajor
02-22-2008, 02:50 AM
Just seen these:

http://fdcservers.net/Services/DedicatedServers/GIGABITUnmeteredservers

dythim
02-23-2008, 11:26 AM
FDC is bad. They oversell so I wouldn't expect much from them in terms of bandwidth quality

fatcat69
02-23-2008, 02:54 PM
problem with OVH is most is .FR based meaning not very good routing...

That was back in the day...if you go to most sites Top 10, they are OvH boxes...unless it is someone with a sh*t load of $ and has leaseweb.

As I said above...unless you arent doing torrenting, you will not need more then 100mb/s.

(Dont forget, even though you have a 1Gb/s connection, you will only connect to boxes in the same network at that speed, hence why these are not really used for torrenting unless you are an uploader...even then the only people who need above that...dont torrent....:whistling)