PDA

View Full Version : Mods - Please stop commenting then locking threads

wheeloftime
02-20-2008, 05:36 PM
This is the sort of thing I am talking about:

http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-bittorrent-43/t-no-community-reps-means-you-can-trade-everything-278891/page8

It really annoys me when staff here post a controversial comment in a thread and then lock the thread so that no-one can reply.

This is a discussion forum, so why lock threads members are still actively using? I can understand it if members are just flaming each other, but a lot of the time threads are locked simply because a staff member holds a different opinion to the ones being aired in a thread. I would have thought that the criteria for a good forum was that a wide variety of opinions are aired so that members can hear all sides of any discussion.

I have no problem with staff here posting their opinions in any thread, I think it is healthy but posting and then 'getting the last word' by closing the thread really gets on my nerves.

IMO the only threads that need closing are those that are getting too heated or break FST rules, I can't see any other valid reason for locking threads in this section.

Night0wl
02-20-2008, 06:10 PM
I agree wholeheartedly. It annoys me constantly when I see it.

And BTW this one, if anything, should be moved to "Everything Related to the Board", not locked after some mod comments.

on a different note, the thread used as an example entitled locking, because the regular spammers brought it way out of topic, so maybe 1 in 10 post was actually needed. I can think of several others that did not.

It would be better to hand out infringements for spamming rather than locking in most cases.

SAM
02-20-2008, 06:16 PM
I agree with you.they shouldn't do that
but i guess they scared to confront us

_coder_
02-20-2008, 07:34 PM
Skizo will come and have the last say and then lock this thread aswell. :P

Skiz
02-20-2008, 07:39 PM
I agree with you.they shouldn't do that
but i guess they scared to confront us

Get real. No one is scared to confront you. :dabs:

I also didn't post that and then lock the thread. As noted, it was locked by KFlint, though not sure why; he'll need to respond to that point.

This is as lenient of a forum as I've ever been on and the amount of threads where are locked is really fairly slim. Most often, threads are locked when a problem has been sorted. i.e. - a member wants to know a trackers IRC info, it is posted, thread is locked.

Granted, there are more threads locked in the Bittorrent related sections than any others as members just cannot seem to keep from posting spam and unnecessary blather. Thus, threads end up off topic and often times locked. Other times, threads are simply posted in the wrong section (such as this one). After the thread is reported or discovered by a mod, if it is salvageable, it's moved. If not, it is locked and the original post is copied to the proper section for a new thread and the OP is linked via PM.

The point is, there's a slew of reasons why a thread may be locked and many times the answer is not on the surface.

/Locked. Just kidding.

Ive seen them lock threads on many occasions for no reason.
When I brought it up with one of the staff members they told me I was the only one who thought that way lol

"on many occasions for no reason"?

Care to link a few?

Just locked this - http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-bittorrent-43/t-i-have-bitmetvorg-invites-279391

Anyone feel that should have been left open for "discussion"?

Sylar666
02-20-2008, 07:59 PM
Thanx for the honest answer, Skizo. I gotta agree with most of what You write here. I see way too many endless, pointless threads. I really appreciate what You Mods've been doing here - and don't take it as a brown nose.

wheeloftime
02-20-2008, 08:08 PM
I also didn't post that and then lock the thread. As noted, it was locked by KFlint, though not sure why; he'll need to respond to that point.

Doesn't this kinda prove my point. The thread was locked whilst there were still people who wanted to comment on it. One of those people had the power to unlock the thread, post, and then lock it again. Unfortunately not all of us have that power.

I also think that many threads that go off topic end up far more interesting and productive than they would have done otherwise.
I can't understand locking threads that are still active with comments like 'this has run it's course' etc, the thread will only have run its' course when no-one else wants to post, something that won't happen when a thread is locked. Why not leave them unlocked to die a natural death?

Thanx for the honest answer, Skizo. I gotta agree with most of what You write here. I see way too many endless, pointless threads.

What constitutes a pointless thread though? Who decides?

RealitY
02-20-2008, 08:34 PM
Doesn't this kinda prove my point. The thread was locked whilst there were still people who wanted to comment on it. One of those people had the power to unlock the thread, post, and then lock it again. Unfortunately not all of us have that power.
If mods post in a thread thats locked the post will through without the need to unlock it.
As for why the thread was locked KLFlint will have to respond to that...

typeoholic
02-20-2008, 08:52 PM
I don't see the point in arguing with staff/mods. If you think they are abusing their powers, then report them to the site admin. And personally, I haven't seen one single staff member out of line here yet. I've been a moderator on a top site for 2+ years and dealing with childish actions isn't always as pleasant as most of you would like to think it is. Staff are not here to harass you; they are simply here to enforce the rules set by administration, to provide assistance wherever possible and to ensure everyone gets along peacefully. You can always try PMing that particular staff member and politely inquiring. Respect goes a long way on the internet, just as in the real world.

Tokeman
02-20-2008, 09:04 PM
why was it closed? Did you read the comment? It was closed because we all 'got the point' and I agree. The posts relating to the original post were going in circles, and the rest of the posts were unrelated, so it was closed. Why keep posting the same comments over and over, do you really think thats going to get your point across better?

grimms
02-20-2008, 09:20 PM

http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-bittorrent-43/t-no-community-reps-means-you-can-trade-everything-278891/page8

It really annoys me when staff here post a controversial comment in a thread and then lock the thread so that no-one can reply.

This is a discussion forum, so why lock threads members are still actively using? I can understand it if members are just flaming each other, but a lot of the time threads are locked simply because a staff member holds a different opinion to the ones being aired in a thread. I would have thought that the criteria for a good forum was that a wide variety of opinions are aired so that members can hear all sides of any discussion.

I have no problem with staff here posting their opinions in any thread, I think it is healthy but posting and then 'getting the last word' by closing the thread really gets on my nerves.

IMO the only threads that need closing are those that are getting too heated or break FST rules, I can't see any other valid reason for locking threads in this section.

You want to know something? I don't go against mods express wishes so asking them to not close the thread will probably not be honored(They are the authority figures and we are not). But i'm glad you made this topic. I felt Skizo took a cheapshot at me (Everyone knows my views and i guess to some, ranting about anti trading can be annoying). So i won't take great offense to his comment, cause i get annoyed by things as well(It's human nature and everyone has a right to their opinion), just sometimes i don't always speak on them.

I kinda wish i could of done a rebuttal in that thread, but unfortunately the mods are of a higher power(Much will not be done i'm afraid). Also for me replying my personal opinion in this thread may leave some to dislike me(Or even more then they already do).

This is a public forum though and not everyone will agree or get along with particular individuals on this board, in real life, in a working environment (Co-Workers). Just have to deal with it.

Wheeloftime the real reason that thread got closed was due to bikernins sneaky little evil dr grimm comments that got deleted, and me and sputnik going back in forth(I shouldn't of lowered myself to another persons level, but did, out of self defense, which really should of been ignored) which sometimes can be irritating to other fst members who are not viewing certain topics to read other fst members bicker amongest each other. You have to learn to deal with it. You wont always like your boss or co-workers you deal with, but as long as your employed or apart of that company you'll have to just kick rocks and deal with it. Also in that thread i think everything was answered multiple times as well, going back and viewing it. As far as Skizo saying what he said(It could be me reading into it a little too much as well, we all have faults, nobody is perfect).

Vieri3
02-20-2008, 09:29 PM
skizo cut the bullshit, you(the mods) are afraid from us*(see note), admit it!

us* the meanning of "us" can be also "ass"

Artemis
02-20-2008, 10:02 PM
Usually you can see why a thread has been locked in the bt section, waaay off topic, spamfest etc, but in the case of that particular thread it was on track there was still healthy discussion and only two members had spammed the thread, and that had been earlier in the discussion, so I for one also would like to know why that thread was locked?

It is the same thread that was locked by Kflint that I am referring to btw:
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-bit...g-278891/page8 (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-bittorrent-43/t-no-community-reps-means-you-can-trade-everything-278891/page8)

I do believe that this was a constructive thread, and unlike others had not veered away from the original intent ? Also many staff members had given their opinion in this thread something I had not seen before since the CR status was revoked here, and as such this thread was very informative.

grimms
02-20-2008, 10:07 PM
I don't see the point in arguing with staff/mods. If you think they are abusing their powers, then report them to the site admin. And personally, I haven't seen one single staff member out of line here yet. I've been a moderator on a top site for 2+ years and dealing with childish actions isn't always as pleasant as most of you would like to think it is. Staff are not here to harass you; they are simply here to enforce the rules set by administration, to provide assistance wherever possible and to ensure everyone gets along peacefully. You can always try PMing that particular staff member and politely inquiring. Respect goes a long way on the internet, just as in the real world.

Good point as well, and noticed what skizo said in his post, So i will apologize for thinking that skizo unlocked and relocked the thread to comment(Keyword to comment not for actually locking thread, thats THEIR job if its warranted to do so). Whether it was cheapshot or not really doesn't matter. Mods and admins are here to monitor us and make sure things don't get too out of hand. I also try to limit what i say from getting out of hand and honestly think KFlint locked the thread due to me, sputnik, and bikernin comments which were really not needed and I apologize only to the fst members that were viewing to read suitable content related to the thread topic.

KFlint
02-20-2008, 10:19 PM
I also try to limit what i say from getting out of hand and honestly think KFlint locked the thread due to me, sputnik, and bikernin comments which were really not needed and I apologize only to the fst members that were viewing to read suitable content related to the thread topic.

exactly, though i don't think anyone deserve a blame or anything, but it was starting to be a little bit aggressive and i thought it was time to lock it

those threads are fertile soil for flaming between traders and anti-traders and i think not going get out of it after a certain time

maybe it's a mistake, i don't know :idunno:

grimms
02-20-2008, 10:22 PM
KFlint don't second guess your judgement. It was a terrific thread, but me, sputnik, and bikernin trying to play devils advocate(verring more towards bashing me, not saying i'm a saint, guess i'm not) ruined it. I do apologize on my part and thought it was a terrific thread but got spoiled I do apologize you all.

krunktastic
02-20-2008, 10:46 PM
KFlint don't second guess your judgement. It was a terrific thread, but me, sputnik, and bikernin trying to play devils advocate(verring more towards bashing me, not saying i'm a saint, guess i'm not) ruined it. I do apologize on my part and thought it was a terrific thread but got spoiled I do apologize you all.

It's just a thread, dude.

grimms
02-20-2008, 10:56 PM
It's just a thread, dude.

:rolleyes:Guess i'm really a n00b to not think that then. I just like to convey my point, even if it's harmful to me. I know i'm not always innocent, also i'm not always at fault either. Do feel like i owe an apologize if a mod has to close a thread due to members diverging off topic and i was one of them so i'm just stating my own apologies (80% don't care and the other 20% just don't want anything to be acknowledged i guess).

Sylar666
02-21-2008, 12:53 AM
You needn't be ashamed, Grimms...But say, You are some fast judge...:)

mrnobody
02-21-2008, 01:59 AM
there was no need to reopen that thread =/

Sylar666
02-21-2008, 02:01 AM
All told which has been meant to be told.

mrnobody
02-21-2008, 02:06 AM
yes, now this thread needs to be locked :P

Night0wl
02-21-2008, 02:40 AM
actually there was not that much need to lock it in the first place. A warning to people that were starting on personal attacks would be sufficient IMO

grimms
02-21-2008, 04:12 AM
You needn't be ashamed, Grimms...But say, You are some fast judge...:)

No... it's just that i'm willing to point out my own faults. Trust me i have plenty on here and in real life, Some times i jump to conclusions when i shouldn't, get to passionate, over opinionated at times, go on my anti-trader rants, among other things. I like to show both sides to the story (Even if i have to reveal my own). I like to infer, when engaging in (hopefully) intellectual conversation. Or at least thats the goal i strive towards.:yup:

Something Else
02-21-2008, 12:56 PM
How about instead of locking threads just move them to the lounge. The abuse that follows will teach them a valuable lesson. :smilie4:

mrnobody
02-21-2008, 01:05 PM
How about instead of locking threads just move them to the lounge. The abuse that follows will teach them a valuable lesson. :smilie4:

nooo

lounge has hungry rapists....like yourself :P

However the instance you yourself specified...

" i.e. - a member wants to know a trackers IRC info, it is posted, thread is locked."

What sence does locking these types of threads have vs not locking them?
I mean if nobody else was gonna post in them anyways cause it was already answered does it really matter if its locked or not?[/qoute]

OP got what he wants and if there is nothing more to discuss but spam then whats wrong with locking?

[quote=WowZrBowser;2681265] Suppose someone has another question similar to the same one asked in these types of threads... by pointlessly locking the thread you are forcing them to open a new thread instead of just adding a single posted question to an already existing thread.

if someone else has similar question, then he can read the existing thread and get some idea? if not he can always create another thread. there already are 1000's of thread, what's wrong with creating another one?

beside, i dunno if u have noticed or not but most people here just read the title or respond to first post. So, if someone else posts another question, changes are he might not get responded. On the other hand, if he creates another thread, then the OP can get enough answer/ advice w.e.

fOrUmAs
02-21-2008, 02:07 PM

yes i agree with u,but its the same for me

i have seen few times when someone from mods lock some thread and before that they add some very good commet(that some dont agree:)) and then no one cant replay on that and maybe that little suck..it would be better if they just lock thread without *final word*:D

wheeloftime
02-21-2008, 06:27 PM

My intention was never to start an argument with any staff/mods, I had something that I wanted to discuss with them and thought that we would be able to debate this in a friendly mature manner, which is exactly what has happened. This was never personal and I have a great deal of respect for the staff here.

I realise that locking a thread is a judgement call for each member of staff and like most judgement calls, get it right and no-one notices, get it wrong and people complain.

I don't blame KFlint for locking that thread he was just doing his job, in his opinion it had run its' course, I think the fact that after the thread was unlocked a number of new posters appeared would indicate that perhaps it hadn't.

My point was simply to find out whether it is really necessary to lock those types of threads and to point out that it is rather unfair to make a comment aimed at particular individuals without them having the ability to reply.

Skiz
02-21-2008, 08:40 PM
As far as direct links its probably not needed...
Point above is the point I wanted to make... That some threads should/do get locked properly.
While countless others dont really need to be.

Wrong. You've provided nothing more than in your original statement.

yes i agree with u,but its the same for me

i have seen few times when someone from mods lock some thread and before that they add some very good commet(that some dont agree:)) and then no one cant replay on that and maybe that little suck..it would be better if they just lock thread without *final word*:D

^^^^ Ive seen that done countless times. In some threads ive seen up to 4 staff members post their end comments in an already locked thread ;)

Again, links?

grimms
02-21-2008, 08:46 PM
I have to agree with Skizo on this one, i have seen it done, not always intentionally(Has nothing to do with getting the last comment in on anyone, it's just letting us know the thread has been closed due to the issue being resolved). As far as mods locking the thread after making the last comment i have only seen it twice(Actually only once cause admins and mods can still comment in locked threads, found that out, only yesterday). Damn you forced my hand as well, where are the links?

SgtMajor
02-21-2008, 09:24 PM
This thread has been reported so it can be locked, I see it going nowhere fast.

RealitY
02-21-2008, 09:34 PM
Report recieved so this will be locked now but any Mod is free to post...

/Locked.

Artemis
02-21-2008, 09:40 PM
/unlocked :naughty:

SgtMajor
02-21-2008, 09:42 PM
Oh noes, run, I is now MOD as I can post, I can see you all! :P

I has last word! :angry:

mrnobody
02-21-2008, 10:31 PM
I has last word! :angry:

think again :P

fatcat69
02-22-2008, 12:30 PM
so if reading correctly...if i spam the f outta this...it will get locked? And that goes for any thread?

Wow I can really use this to my advantage to close threads I dont like...

letme start here then!

http://www.dailyramblings.com/images/cowsex.jpg

wheeloftime
02-22-2008, 01:24 PM
Think it's probably time to lock this thread (and you have my blessing to call me a fucktard when you do it Skizo)

Probably makes me a hypocrite but even I can see this thread is becoming pointless.

fatcat69
02-22-2008, 02:03 PM
Think it's probably time to lock this thread (and you have my blessing to call me a fucktard when you do it Skizo)

Probably makes me a hypocrite but even I can see this thread is becoming pointless.

wow the random pic thing worked very well :lol:

shweeeeeeeeet!

pECi
02-22-2008, 02:30 PM
wow the random pic thing worked very well :lol:

shweeeeeeeeet!

the dark powers of the lounge can corrupt even the bravest of us

SAM
02-22-2008, 03:10 PM
I guess the message is delivered already and the mods will act good from now on :P
So why don't we close this thread?

fatcat69
02-22-2008, 03:33 PM
I guess the message is delivered already and the mods will act good from now on :P
So why don't we close this thread?

bc then that would be ironic towards the title.:lol:

RealitY
02-22-2008, 07:03 PM
Well wede much prefer not locking anything. Also agree that threads locked generally get reposted anyway. Also dont find much point in worrying about off topic posts in this section. Its part of what the section is...

/Locked.

SgtMajor
02-22-2008, 07:45 PM
Did someone remove your locking rights or something?
Ive been seeing alot of posts you lock not acctually locking the last couple of days.

Or does one of the other staff members keep onlocking them as a joke or something?

Sometimes, you just have to laugh out loud :lol:

Do we have a "whoosh" smiley? :P

RealitY
02-22-2008, 08:14 PM
Did someone remove your locking rights or something?
Ive been seeing alot of posts you lock not acctually locking the last couple of days.

Or does one of the other staff members keep onlocking them as a joke or something?
Well its a big thing among Staff to reopen threads.
Also there is a whoosh smiley on the site...

/Locked.

SgtMajor
02-22-2008, 08:15 PM
ffs, read the title of this thread!

/Unlocked

wheeloftime
02-22-2008, 08:18 PM
Bollox, I'll lock it myself if your just going to take the piss

/Locked

grimms
02-22-2008, 08:26 PM
It's reality folks.