PDA

View Full Version : Chat request a possible scam tactic?

DarkLured
02-20-2008, 10:01 PM
I was PMing with someone about a trade. He said he had already traded, so I told him to let me know if he wanted to trade in the future. He PMed back asking for my msn so we could chat and get to know each other and said "I might mean something to you." I asked what he meant by that, and he said he had trackers that I was looking for, and that if he could get to know me better he would invite me as a friend.

I didn't give any info, as I was a little suspicious of such a generous offer (or maybe I'm just paranoid). Is getting my chat name a possible scam tactic? Is there a risk in chatting with someone? Sorry if it is a stupid question, just curious.

pone44
02-20-2008, 10:18 PM
he prob read your sig?

DarkLured
02-20-2008, 10:35 PM
I know he read my signature, of course. But I was wondering whether giving out chat name or starting a chat session could give away any sensitive info, etc.

supper
02-20-2008, 10:37 PM
he can get ur ip and if he sent u link or something its could be have keyloger also so yes its not safe to give ur msn to strangers thats all i know any addition it will be useful

bunny67
02-20-2008, 10:41 PM
maybe he is hoping you will get naked on cam!

krunktastic
02-20-2008, 10:44 PM
If you feel uncomfortable or suspicious, don't feel obligated to engage with someone you don't know.

SAM
02-20-2008, 10:45 PM
yeah right.and he can also get your e-penis measure and scandalize you over the web.
why all these extreme measures you are taking.it's like you gonna lose your life if you gonna chat with someone.
You make me feel bad for terrorists instead of suicidal bombs they should only ask to chat with you and mission accomplished.
if they just knew :(

SgtMajor
02-20-2008, 10:50 PM
Whatever happened to common sense & intuition?

SAM
02-20-2008, 10:57 PM
Gone with the wind :lol:
By the way,I just watched this movie for the 200th time and still admire it

Tokeman
02-20-2008, 11:21 PM
tell them to meet you in an IRC room on a server that has vhosts. Free chatting with some comfort in knowing they can't easily obtain your IP (unless your dumb enough to accept a dcc transfer or something...)

TP635
02-20-2008, 11:25 PM
Tracker staff at work?

DarkLured
02-20-2008, 11:33 PM
yeah right.and he can also get your e-penis measure and scandalize you over the web.
why all these extreme measures you are taking.it's like you gonna lose your life if you gonna chat with someone.
You make me feel bad for terrorists instead of suicidal bombs they should only ask to chat with you and mission accomplished.
if they just knew :(

WTF? I was just wondering if there is any risk involved, jeez. I've seen threads warning that tracker admins sometimes try to get your IP address or other info so they can ban you for trading, and based on what supper said above, someone could get your ip address through chat. It's true I will not lose my life, but I'd prefer not to lose my account(s) for trading either, so I asked about the risks. What is wrong with that?

P.S. Your terrorist comment is retarded :wacko:

Actually, it was common sense and intuition that made me decide NOT to share my chat info with that person. Common sense and intuition are great, but so is knowledge, which is why I ask questions about stuff I don't know or understand well. Questioning the common sense or intuition of someone merely because that person seeks information is ludicrous and a little rude.

supper
02-20-2008, 11:37 PM
WTF? I was just wondering if there is any risk involved, jeez. I've seen threads warning that tracker admins sometimes try to get your IP address or other info so they can ban you for trading, and based on what supper said above, someone could get you ip address through chat.

Actually the staff can get ur ip in many ways not necessarily by chating with u on msn but they can get ur ip from ur singature or ur avatar there is many other ways i dont know about it .
but u can do mistake and give ur msn to ... lets say hacker then u will be into troubles

all i know and all i can say dont accept files from ppl u dont trust dont click on links sent by random ppl use proxy in public forums like here and dont post in public or give ur msn to ppl u dont trust

and if u want to have avatar or signature then dont upload them by ur real ip also.

after u doing all of this u wont be safe 100% though u just trying to decreasing the chances u get hacked or some one have ur personal info.
thats all i know.

SAM
02-20-2008, 11:40 PM
and your terrorist comment was retarded http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/../../images/smilies/wacko.gif
it meant to look like that for retards ;)

DarkLured
02-20-2008, 11:52 PM
and your terrorist comment was retarded http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/../../images/smilies/wacko.gifit meant to look like that for retards ;)

I don't even know what that meant. I'm assuming you don't have full command of the english language, or that you're 8 :P

P.S. Thanks for helpful responses so far.

fazzy07
02-20-2008, 11:53 PM
DarkLured (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/../../members/darklured-187510), you did over exaggerate the situation a little bit

Nothing wrong with that since this is internet and some people do take advantage and do wrong things

You could have seen the previous posts by the member and decided on your own

And yeah, if staff do want to come after you they have many other ways then just chatting

DarkLured
02-21-2008, 12:49 AM
DarkLured (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/../../members/darklured-187510), you did over exaggerate the situation a little bit

Nothing wrong with that since this is internet and some people do take advantage and do wrong things

You could have seen the previous posts by the member and decided on your own

And yeah, if staff do want to come after you they have many other ways then just chatting

Fazzy, I don't know what you mean when you say I "over exaggerated" the situation (btw: "over exaggerate" is redundant). I simply summarized our PM exchange for context and asked what risks there might be in giving out a chat name or initiating a chat session. I am relatively new here and nobody has asked me for my chat info before, so I was curious whether someone could use chat to get sensitive information, etc. Looking at my post now, I realize it might have been clearer had I titled it "CAN a chat request BE a possible scam tactic?" - but I wasn't accusing anyone of anything, I just wanted info.

And since you mention it, what are some of the other ways for staff to come after traders? I've checked out FAQs, etc., but more information can't hurt.

SenorBubbz
02-21-2008, 12:54 AM
I don't see any problem in sending him your email address if you play it smart when you talk to him.

LubTheStaringCat
02-21-2008, 01:09 AM
Personally I don't like MSN because I have been scammed 2 times using It.
So It has got to the point I never use It now.

1000possibleclaws
02-21-2008, 01:26 AM
Personally I don't like MSN because I have been scammed 2 times using It.
So It has got to the point I never use It now.

how does msn change anything? its just instant chat vs email/pms

Tokeman
02-21-2008, 01:40 AM
emails show IP's, PM's dont. Ips can be obtained through aim/msn also, not as easy as just looking at an email, but still. I recommend PM's or IRC with vhost as I said before.

LaPistola
02-21-2008, 01:50 AM
(btw: "over exaggerate" is redundant)
Ohhhhh, you know a big word. Your smart....:frusty:

P.S.-> Your a bafoon.

mrnobody
02-21-2008, 01:50 AM
don't use internet...it's too fishy :P

tgp
02-21-2008, 01:56 AM
Gmail is one of the few clients that doesn't show IPs. If you want to IM you can even use gmail chat.

slimdogp
02-21-2008, 02:01 AM
I agree with the idea to meet people on IRC. vhosts and bnc are nice if you are suspicious. I don't use ANY instant messanger software.. but I'm antiquated I guess.

hangemhigh
02-21-2008, 02:11 AM
I have been asked to chat via msn,yahoo,google...whatever.. my question is always "why?" ..and my answer is always.."no"..ya wanna trade lets trade, skip the small talk.

DarkLured
02-21-2008, 02:23 AM
(btw: "over exaggerate" is redundant)
Ohhhhh, you know a big word. Your smart....:frusty:

P.S.-> Your a bafoon.

Nothing wrong with using "big words" when they're appropriate, and the fact that you refer to "redundant" as a big word (even sarcastically) is telling. Anyway, I don't know why you need to post here just to insult me and make snide comments. Grow up. :dry:

Oh yeah, it's "you're" not "your" :P

LubTheStaringCat
02-21-2008, 02:47 AM
I have been asked to chat via msn,yahoo,google...whatever.. my question is always "why?" ..and my answer is always.."no"..ya wanna trade lets trade, skip the small talk.

I agree with "hangemhigh"
For me on any chat tool, the answer will always be firm NO.

seppypom
02-21-2008, 03:08 AM

OH Bunny, can i have your MSN? :O:naughty:

DarkLured
02-21-2008, 04:58 AM
Thanks all for the helpful info!

Cabalo
02-21-2008, 05:45 AM
as someone said before, it's tracker staff from one of the "have to trade" trackers trying to get you. They tried it with me, by wanting me to send them an email. They got pissed on me cuz i criticized their kiddie attitude on public, so they want me out of their tracker, those assholes.

be careful when sending emails, using mirc, clicking on weird links that can be hosted at their machines, so they get easily your ip, careful if the mail that u use on msn is the same that u use to register on sites, etc etc.

Some people use this as their playground for hunting users, and when u say that you want to trade accounts at your sig, u just became a preferred target.

DasFox
02-21-2008, 06:06 AM

Yeah no kidding, the youth of today, LOL...

Be careful, there are sneaky bastards everywhere...

Dark Archon
02-21-2008, 08:53 AM
hmm i think he is just being friendly?

bunny67
02-21-2008, 04:00 PM

OH Bunny, can i have your MSN? :O:naughty:only if you get down and dirty seppy;)

AugustoP
02-21-2008, 06:58 PM
Use TOR for anything trade-related (even for browsing FST) and you'll be fine. Your IP address could be obtained by sending you an image (1x1 transparent gif for instance) in PM

seppypom
02-22-2008, 01:45 AM
OH Bunny, can i have your MSN? :O:naughty:only if you get down and dirty seppy;)

Oh, Baby!!