PDA

View Full Version : some stats on waffles vs oink (what inc.)

WarrenBuffet
02-21-2008, 02:48 AM
I see a problem here.

Before Oink was shut down we had 189,034 users and 204,000 torrents= 1.08 torrents per user. Essentially if one user seeded just ONE torrent with a few seeding two torrents at anytime (assuming all the torrents were different), there would be no dead torrents. Ofc with 1 seed you have no idea what kinda speed you would expect. Realistically the average torrenter might have had 5 torrents seeding from oink at any given time given time. Assuming normal distribution, the average torrent at oink would have 5 seeders. With a large userbase such as this it would be easy to prevent an excess of dead torrents.

Now lets look at waffles.

Registered users31,467 Total Torrents126,502
so the AVERAGE USER needs to seed 4 torrents assuming none of them are the same torrents being seeded by someone else. We all know that most don't leave their comps running their torrent client 24/7. I start wondering what if its a certain 1000 users that have 500 torrents seeding 24/7 or something because there is a great number of seeds at waffles. The next thought is how unstable this could be if something bad happened to this small niche of users.

Therefore I request that if there are any waffles staff are in here, they raise the user limit.

I know this argument isn't always valid. There more users@ what and about the same number of torrents but so many are poorly seeded. I hypothesize this is because many members at what have an acc at waffles and most originally prefered waffles for the design/features/layout/etc, and now prefer it simply because that where all the seeds are at.

SenorBubbz
02-21-2008, 02:56 AM
OiNK > Waffles > What

but they don't care about what you think, they won't do jack

WarrenBuffet
02-21-2008, 02:59 AM
well, I expect that too. I would like to just state that I wish they increase the user limit. IMO, it would be more "lively"

krunktastic
02-21-2008, 03:00 AM
zaa,

There are more factors in deciding what the user limit is other than the amount of torrents seeder per user. The idea that waffles was based on was to create a community where each person shared as much as they could and seeded as much as they could - and in this respect they succeeded. However you have already stated the key question: will raising the user limit achieve a more stable user base?

It in this respect that formulas don't apply. Most users on waffles were once on OiNK and are well equipped to rip music, myself included. Waffles has taken extra care to ensure that quality rippers and seeders do so. The fact that each user (on average) has over four torrents seeded is phenomenal. And unlike the current situation at what.cd, albeit sometimes slow, a Waffles torrent nearly always has a seed.

DKre8ive1
02-21-2008, 03:07 AM

I think you are wrong in that I am sure they do care about the users, since its the memebers that make a site succeed.

As for Zaa730 question the reason they might not do jack is because they have a total overview of the sites and its different stats which is something that you don't have.

But suggestions given to a site have never hurt anyone, but they probably should be made in there forums for a higher chance of success. ;)

SenorBubbz
02-21-2008, 03:11 AM
well, I expect that too. I would like to just state that I wish they increase the user limit. IMO, it would be more "lively"

I agree... I just think that some Sysops don't give a rat's ass about anyone's opinion except their admins and moderators....

SgtMajor
02-21-2008, 03:15 AM

I agree... I just think that some Sysops don't give a rat's ass about anyone's opinion except their admins and moderators....

Not posted on here they don't, posted in the right place and open for discussion amongst its own members they might.

LaPistola
02-21-2008, 03:16 AM
I thought you were through with making bad threads...

apintofmilk
02-21-2008, 08:01 PM
Didn't manage to get in on waffles (or whatcd for that matter) but oink was pretty tremendous

tweakz
02-21-2008, 08:23 PM
I thought you were through with making bad threads...

I thought the same...!!!

Skiz
02-21-2008, 08:32 PM
Waffles > What > :shit: > OiNK

Fixed.

grimms
02-21-2008, 08:37 PM
I would take all these concerns to the sysop or administrators on Waffles to better assist you, flame you for questioning them, or whatever else they do. Actually a couple of the Administrators on waffles are really nice, they just don't like to be bothered with stupid questions or an off approach trying to get an issue resolved. Also remmeber user limits being raised are determined by a range of different reasons, not just peer to seed ratio's. Also depends on the capacity of the server their currently renting, tracker needs (If their lacking a suitable amount of members) I would pay more attention to what DKre8ive1 and Krunktastic said as their both admins and probably have a clearer idea on what sysops and their respective titles look for.

Keyword "Some" but that some is slim. Most Sysops that own the trackers we all are apart of do care(Very much so). Some of them just have inflated ego's or tyrannical ways of running their tracker. Being the tyrant in this case is not always bad (Especially the way Oink ran their site) It works. Rules are rules for a reason, if you respect quality and want more quality members that make all the difference.

Hanz™
02-21-2008, 09:31 PM
This all depends on the capacity of the server. Waffles will be getting a new one soonish I'm sure.
Waffles also seems to have a slow buy steady tactic of increasing the invite limit in small amounts in order that only the best people get invited...

:D

Vieri3
02-21-2008, 09:35 PM
what is better than seed academy bulgaria

Pzero
02-21-2008, 09:52 PM
A decent majority of the current users of Waffles are dedicated users who are seeding much more than 1 torrent...after all these were the people who actually cared after OiNK died and went right away to ohax and all that...of course there are some pricks who seed nothing or the bare minimum, but my point is, that your analysis is slightly off.

PACE
02-22-2008, 03:01 AM
one thing good about more users on a tracker (specially a music tracker) is that the more users you have, the more variety, for example you like classical music, how many of the 30k users do you think are interested in classical music? and how many of those would want to share their files? at least with 190k users, you'll have more chances of finding people who have the same taste in music as you do, that is why OiNK was so succesful because there were enough users for each genre and seeding/leeching would be easier because there are more peers. I don't have waffles but I'm facing a similar problem on what, I use it mostly for punk and only the famous ones or ones that had freeleech has allot of seeds and the not-so famous ones have <8 seeds.

aburyach
02-22-2008, 03:29 AM
I'm taking out my frustration over the demise of OiNK by seeding extra hard. Currently at 148 torrents for waffles (:

pimfram
02-22-2008, 03:32 AM
sadly, nothing will ever be as good as oink was.

grimms
02-22-2008, 03:43 AM
I'm taking out my frustration over the demise of OiNK by seeding extra hard. Currently at 148 torrents for waffles (:

I had that many torrents at one time, but removed them due to me being such a n00b at labeling my torrents correctly. I was getting warning's left and right and didn't want to get permanently booted from the tracker. Always good to upload as much as you can though.

sadly, nothing will ever be as good as oink was.

Probably right, I only knew of a few hand full of sites when Oink was around. The only good thing i can't say i'm fortunate for? Is discovering this place and some of the sites i am now currently a member of(Thanks to some really good and generous members here).

1000possibleclaws
02-22-2008, 03:45 AM
give waffles time. it's been progressing great so far, there's no reason to think it won't reach what oink was in the future. i alone could probably find another 30 albums to upload when I have more time, make that 40-50 if i rip them in flac as well. it's a 70 000 torrent gap, let's see what the difference will be by summer. probably a hell of a lot closer, if not equal to oinks torrents.

Vieri3
02-22-2008, 07:38 AM
what is surely better than thorsland