View Full Version : Rap, Hip Hop Etc.

mogadishu
08-02-2003, 01:41 AM
People are always saying rap is sissy etc. I agree maybe some of the new stuff is all image, but have you ever heard of groups like A tribe Called Quest or Run DMC. That's real rap and before you go dissing a whole music genre, listen to more than one song.

Adster
08-02-2003, 01:49 AM
well personaly I just hate rap Iv'e tryed listening to it many times and the old stop button comes out everytime Sorry to all rap fans. of course I am all for it for them My best friend is a Die hard Rap fan doesn't mean I have to hate him??

but why I don't I like it?? just read adthomps threads from way back last I will say on the matter

mogadishu
08-02-2003, 01:52 AM
Respectable. Atleast you dont just flame the sh*t out of it for no reason.

neil1967
08-02-2003, 02:29 AM
i must say rap is one of my least favourite styles of music, but there is some stuff i quite like and some "songs" i love. with all musical genres you can find exceptional artists. i'm not really a fan of folk or country but again, you can find some great stuff. to say i hate Rap, all rap is shit etc is just stupid full stop. :)

mogadishu
08-02-2003, 02:30 AM
just like hogster, you have a respectable opinion.. i really wanna talk to the people who are always posting things like "all rap sucks" or "its sissy" etc. ect.

abigspidermonkey
08-02-2003, 03:16 AM
Rap is for retards attepting poetry.. :rolleyes:

callum
08-02-2003, 03:19 AM
Originally posted by abigspidermonkey@2 August 2003 - 04:16
So you can spell retards, your sig made me think otherwise.

BigBank_Hank
08-02-2003, 03:38 AM
Although not my favorite to listen to I do like some rap. Some of the songs and lyrics are very well written and quite catchy. My favorite rapper has to be 2pac. His writing style was on a personal level that you could connect to. It is a shame that such a great musician is gone a such a young age.

I hope that we can have a discussion about this and not have it turn into a swearing contest.

Adster
08-02-2003, 03:41 AM
I hope that we can have a discussion about this and not have it turn into a swearing contest

Yes we have been down that road before several times <_<

mogadishu
08-02-2003, 04:15 AM
Originally posted by abigspidermonkey@1 August 2003 - 22:16
or poets.

Mr. Blunt
08-02-2003, 04:20 AM
Originally posted by callum+2 August 2003 - 03:19--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (callum @ 2 August 2003 - 03:19)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-abigspidermonkey@2 August 2003 - 04:16
So you can spell retards, your sig made me think otherwise. [/b][/quote]
:lol:

Were can I get that new Kazaa Like 2.41 your talking about, abigspidermonkey?

2Pac and Biggie are like the best rappers (in my opinion). Todays rap & hip-hop is just image. Dead Prez is good also.

PsychoTrooper
08-02-2003, 05:25 AM
I don&#39;t like rap because it just doesn&#39;t appeal to my ears. I need something with more then just the same beat over and over... But like said by mogadishu, bands like Run DMC are ok, it&#39;s more then just singing about rollin on dubs or all dem hoes they be gettin...

mogadishu
08-02-2003, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Blunt+1 August 2003 - 23:20--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mr. Blunt @ 1 August 2003 - 23:20)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by callum@2 August 2003 - 03:19
<!--QuoteBegin-abigspidermonkey@2 August 2003 - 04:16

2Pac and Biggie are like the best rappers (in my opinion). Todays rap & hip-hop is just image. Dead Prez is good also. [/b][/quote]
Dead Prez is really good. They have some great lyrics and support good causes with their songs.

Mr. Blunt
08-02-2003, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by mogadishu+2 August 2003 - 06:46--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mogadishu @ 2 August 2003 - 06:46)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Mr. Blunt@1 August 2003 - 23:20

Originally posted by callum@2 August 2003 - 03:19
<!--QuoteBegin-abigspidermonkey@2 August 2003 - 04:16

2Pac and Biggie are like the best rappers (in my opinion). Todays rap & hip-hop is just image. Dead Prez is good also.
Dead Prez is really good. They have some great lyrics and support good causes with their songs. [/b][/quote]
Yeah they are. I just barely started listening to them after I read a article that said they had terrorist &#39;signals&#39; in their music. The article was Bullshit, but the band wasn&#39;t. They are really good.

mogadishu
08-02-2003, 06:56 AM
Well these days everyone that offers an alternative point of view is a terrorist, so I wouldnt take an article like that seriously. But it does make me mad that something like that would even be suggested.

Mr. Blunt
08-02-2003, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by mogadishu@2 August 2003 - 06:56
Well these days everyone that offers an alternative point of view is a terrorist, so I wouldnt take an article like that seriously. But it does make me mad that something like that would even be suggested.
That&#39;s true.

I must Quote Sherman Austin, Webmaster of RaiseTheFist.Com:

Justice has become a crime. Freedom has become a crime. Anyone activly disagreeing with policies of the U.S is now automaticly rendered a "terrorist" in the eyes of national security.

Celerystalksme
08-02-2003, 07:28 AM
All the rap stuff is just for sh&#33;ts and giggles for me...3rd gen and TRshady all know me paying out rap is just a thing to pass the time...if i hated rap then i wouldn&#39;t have it on my computer...but when ya look on soulseek...i do share some rap...so its good in small proportions :P ...nah rap is the shiznit :)

mogadishu
08-02-2003, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Blunt+2 August 2003 - 02:04--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mr. Blunt @ 2 August 2003 - 02:04)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-mogadishu@2 August 2003 - 06:56
That&#39;s true.

I must Quote Sherman Austin, Webmaster of RaiseTheFist.Com:

Justice has become a crime. Freedom has become a crime. Anyone activly disagreeing with policies of the U.S is now automaticly rendered a "terrorist" in the eyes of national security. [/b][/quote]
Finally&#33; I&#39;ve seen that quote everywhere but never knew who the guy was. Thanks.

Jay
08-03-2003, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by mogadishu@2 August 2003 - 02:41
People are always saying rap is sissy etc. I agree maybe some of the new stuff is all image, but have you ever heard of groups like A tribe Called Quest or Run DMC. That&#39;s real rap and before you go dissing a whole music genre, listen to more than one song.
todays rap is kinda bull, with jarule and 50 goin at it with each other is gettin on my nerves, there is some good music but the real hardcore rap died with tupac

Celerystalksme
08-03-2003, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by Jay+3 August 2003 - 19:09--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Jay @ 3 August 2003 - 19:09)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-mogadishu@2 August 2003 - 02:41
People are always saying rap is sissy etc. I agree maybe some of the new stuff is all image, but have you ever heard of groups like A tribe Called Quest or Run DMC. That&#39;s real rap and before you go dissing a whole music genre, listen to more than one song.
todays rap is kinda bull, with jarule and 50 goin at it with each other is gettin on my nerves, there is some good music but the real hardcore rap died with tupak [/b][/quote]
tupak...is that like a colour or a brand of paint or something like that???

uNz[i]
08-03-2003, 10:13 AM
Well, seeing as you asked...

Personally, I don&#39;t listen to rap because usually it&#39;s derivitive of stuff I heard while growing up during the &#39;70s and &#39;80s... I&#39;m talking sampling here.

I found rap to be very repetitive and for the most part, the stuff I&#39;ve heard was usually just some MC banging on about how hes so much better than any other guy at doing stuff, whether it&#39;s being the best rapper or how fkn great he is in the sack. :rolleyes:

When I listen to music, I want to hear something original thats written by the artist, not just sampled chunks of somebody elses work with a vocal track stuck on top. I also think that the artist should know how to play an instrument.

Don&#39;t get me wrong. I KNOW there are very talented rappers out there, and I wish them all the luck in the world with thier projects... but the genre simply doesn&#39;t appeal to ME. Just like country and western, I gave it a go and there was nothing there for me, is all.

As just some other guy once said,

I dunno about art, but I know what I like...

Rocktron
08-03-2003, 11:22 AM
I think it&#39;s just about when were you born?
The music that played on the radio or television in the time a person was born in,
determines the taste for later.

I&#39;m from the 60&#39;s myself. But that doesn&#39;t say i only listen to music from that time. But i do think the music was much richer then&#33;
People really had to work to play the music. It&#39;s all electronic now.

So that kids love RAP is not surprisingly is it? I just don&#39;t like it... that&#39;s all&#33;