PDA

View Full Version : ram upgrade

andrew.cook
02-22-2008, 09:14 PM
thinking about upgrading to 4gb of ram and running xp pro64 will i see much performance increase from xp home with 2gb i am currently running?

clocker
02-22-2008, 10:01 PM
Performance increase in what?`

andrew.cook
02-22-2008, 10:04 PM
just generally games, apps, net browsin etc

clocker
02-22-2008, 10:40 PM
Well, I'm running Pro x64 and four gigs of RAM and think it's great.

If you have a copy of the x64 OS and are using (relatively) cheap DDR2 memory, it's worth a try.

InXS
02-25-2008, 02:05 AM
thinking about upgrading to 4gb of ram and running xp pro64 will i see much performance increase from xp home with 2gb i am currently running?

You Mat Not Notice Alot, But There Is A Big Diff

kaiweiler
02-25-2008, 03:22 AM

You Mat Not Notice Alot, But There Is A Big Diff

I Can't Believe You Use A Capital Letter At The Beginning Of Every Word In All Of Your Posts!

Anyway, I did notice a large difference from 2gb to 4gb of RAM. I am, however, using the resource hogging Windows Vista.
I guess it depends on your usage. I'd say monitor the usage of your 2gb, if you feel it is insufficient or the majority is being used, then try 4gb. If you are only using 20% of your 2gb, there will be literally no advantage of switching to 4gb.

mikelets456
02-25-2008, 07:26 PM
Games, not much if any. That depends more on your video card , then processor then ram....depending on the game.

Bionic
02-27-2008, 01:08 AM
More Ram faster the download.
2 Ram = 1 game playing with msn and uTorrent open, is enough but heats your motherboard abit. I've 2GB Ram at the moment but getting another 2 next month, maybe.

DasFox
02-27-2008, 01:15 PM
Unless your some 3D Modeling Guru or CAD designer, running other apps along side something like this, there is nothing out there that is going to benefit from 4GB right now.

Then again if you're running that crap OS Vista it might help for gaming...

But you said you're running XP, so you don't need it right now, just a waste...

clocker
02-27-2008, 02:36 PM
If he installs Pro x64 the system will actually address all four GB and given the absurdly low prices of DDR2 memory right now, it would almost be silly NOT to have 4GB.
The extra RAM would be beneficial should he move to Vista x64 as well.

In a couple of weeks I'll have a copy of Vista x64 to play with and am considering another 4GB (for a total of 8!!) just because it's cheap and I can...

In my experience I can't recall a time when memory was this inexpensive, so I figure it's worth exploiting while it lasts.
God knows, DDR3 is no bargain.

DasFox
02-27-2008, 02:38 PM
If he installs Pro x64 the system will actually address all four GB and given the absurdly low prices of DDR2 memory right now, it would almost be silly NOT to have 4GB.
The extra RAM would be beneficial should he move to Vista x64 as well.

In a couple of weeks I'll have a copy of Vista x64 to play with and am considering another 4GB (for a total of 8!!) just because it's cheap and I can...

In my experience I can't recall a time when memory was this inexpensive, so I figure it's worth exploiting while it lasts.
God knows, DDR3 is no bargain.

Well true ram is cheap, BUT also depending on the users needs, lets be fair, what you think is good is not always needed by everyone else, and by the time this user might actually need 4GB DDR3 might be a good deal.

clocker
02-27-2008, 04:43 PM
...lets be fair,what you think is good is not always needed by everyone else, and by the time this user might actually need 4GB DDR3 might be a good deal.
You belabor the obvious...hell, I don't need that much RAM.
My point here has just been that the price point of DDR2 is unusually favorable right now and it seems like a good time to indulge.

I'm betting that DDR3 won't hit the rockbottom price levels we're seeing now because I think the manufacturers are going to throttle back production to raise their profit margins.
Certainly, DDR3 will come down in price because right now it's beyond the reach of most people, but I believe that the adaptation of chipsets requiring that memory is going to be relatively slow and most people- even semi-hardcore enthusiasts- will be able to enjoy DDR2 based systems for at least the next year/year and a half.
I also think that we're almost at the tipping point where software optimized for multi-core CPUs is going to really become prevalent and that should make better use of more memory.
If I'm right, then now is the time to buy and start using cheap DDR2, whether or not it's immediately necessary.

If I'm wrong, then all I've lost is $100 or so and at least a goodly portion of that is recoverable through resale.

kaiweiler
02-27-2008, 04:46 PM
Vista pretty much requires 4gb to run well. 2gb is okay, but not optimal.
I'm using 4gb on Vista64 and it's great.

8gb though clocker? Now I just think you're getting greedy :P

rowland
02-27-2008, 06:23 PM
You won't see an increase in speed going from 2GB to 4GB. Unless you run VM with lots of O/Ses running.

clocker
02-27-2008, 11:27 PM
Think of it as "futureproofing".:whistling

DasFox
02-28-2008, 11:41 AM

LOL, they've been saying that for years, then something else comes around the corner and that future proof gets tossed out the door.

Technology is moving to fast and prices drop pretty quick too now. It's only going to be 8-12mos before DDR3 is down and by then there isn't going to be much needing 4GB still.

Man I don't know what CPU and Ram you are using but 2GB of DDR2 on a dual core cpu is way plenty.

What are your specs and do you have a lot of software running in the background?

Take a screenshot of your task manager please right after startup, I'd like to see the memory usage on your box.

THANKS

clocker
02-28-2008, 02:26 PM

LOL, they've been saying that for years, then something else comes around the corner and that future proof gets tossed out the door.

Technology is moving to fast and prices drop pretty quick too now. It's only going to be 8-12mos before DDR3 is down and by then there isn't going to be much needing 4GB still.

Of course you're right...I've consistently poo-poo'ed the concept of "futureproofing" myself (hence the smiley).
It's just that, for the first time in my (somewhat limited) experience, high performance, large quantity RAM is an almost trivial expense and going overboard is my reaction.

By the same token, I don't need watercooling, my case (which alone cost more than most of my neighbor's entire PC...) or, the most egregious example, the iRAM, but I have them all, simply because I enjoy hardware.

If most of us were to be totally honest we'd admit that we don't fully exploit the PCs we currently own, much less the ones we want in the future.

kaiweiler
02-28-2008, 02:46 PM

Man I don't know what CPU and Ram you are using but 2GB of DDR2 on a dual core cpu is way plenty.

What are your specs and do you have a lot of software running in the background?

Take a screenshot of your task manager please right after startup, I'd like to see the memory usage on your box.

THANKS

It's not about how many programs are currently running. Vista has changed it's ways of memory usage from XP. Google Vista Superfetch and enjoy a read.
To sum it up

Windows SuperFetch enables programs and files to load much faster than they would on Windows XP–based PCs.

When you're not actively using your computer, background tasks—including automatic backup programs and antivirus scans—run when they will least disturb you. These background tasks can take up system memory space that your programs had been using. On Windows XP–based PCs, this can slow progress to a crawl when you attempt to resume work.

SuperFetch monitors which applications you use the most and preloads these into your system memory so they'll be ready when you need them. Windows Vista also runs background programs, like disk defragmenting and Windows Defender, at low priority so that they can do their job but your work always comes first.

DasFox
02-29-2008, 04:47 AM
kaiweiler I know how Vista is and all it's memory usage, my point was 2GB is sufficient, and if their box is struggling on 2GB then something is wrong.

Clocker you're right it is really cheap, I just come from a waste not want not Linux mentality, compile that kernel for just the hardware you need, and no BLOAT please, use what you need and no more, so that's why I'd never buy it just for the sake of it.

Crucial PC2-8500 is running really cheap at NewEgg right now:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148069

Well at $90 I guess now with that 4GB, you'll at least have some braggin rights even if you don't need all of it, LOL...

Braggin rights for $90, that's a pretty good deal, hehe... :w00t:

clocker
02-29-2008, 12:52 PM
Well at $90 I guess now with that 4GB, you'll at least have some braggin rights even if you don't need all of it, LOL...

Braggin rights for $90, that's a pretty good deal, hehe... :w00t:
Bragging rights are ephemeral.
In the long run, what 4GB would provide is the knowledge that whatever your problem might be, memory is not the root cause.

Kuberr
02-29-2008, 08:56 PM
You can't future proof, but at these prices, 4GB of RAM is a nice pickup without sacrificing too much cash. You can get 4GB these days from anywhere from 100 USD and up.

ZLOsiris
02-29-2008, 10:54 PM
I have just bought a laptop that comes with the preinstalled vista premium. Does the toshiba vista/recovery/drivers disk have the option for the 64 bit version of vista on it like the store bought vista does? Also i remember a year ago that people where talking about that there were software issues with using xp/vista in 64 does that still hold true?
I wanna update to 4 g of ram but dont wanna pay the price for another vista if i dont have to

kondrae
03-04-2008, 11:35 PM
i'd get 4GB of ram but dont want to go vista or xp64.

ill stick with xp for now

here's a review on more ram on vista
http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/02/15/vista_workshop/