PDA

View Full Version : Newsgroups vs high level trackers

tusks
02-25-2008, 04:07 AM
Is there a difference in the quantity of releases and speed? Are people with usenet axx missing out on a lot of releases or is it the other way around? I don't have any high level trackers but I do subscribe to newsgroups so I'd like to know what the deal is :huh:. Also, I'm referring to 0-day trackers not ones like SweDVDR and E.

saulin
02-25-2008, 09:12 AM
As far as I know some trackers get releases faster than Usenet.

Advantages of torrents trackers

-They get releases faster (But maybe by hrs of difference or perhaps minutes in some cases)
-You probably don't have to pay for it

Advantages of Usenet

-Secure connections
-Most likely faster speeds
-No ratio to worry about
-mmmm like 100000x more content

In my book Usenet is better. You get what you pay for.

Tranquill
02-25-2008, 11:36 AM
I prefer Torrents, Usenet is no fun is just simply downloading. With a high level torrent site, a great community is also present. Also I seem to get the same speeds in torrents as Usenet.

Skiz
02-25-2008, 11:37 AM
I prefer Torrents, Usenet is no fun is just simply downloading. With a high level torrent site, a great community is also present. Also I seem to get the same speeds in torrents as Usenet.

Totally.

Stick to torrents.

$SnoopDo2G$
02-25-2008, 01:21 PM
Alright i've been in Newsgroups for a like months, i just tricked them
by using a couple of trial accounts dl like GB's of stuff and yeah it's good coz you don't have to share... but it's kind of stupid in a way... where are the people no community and shit ???... and well content always get there later than a few places i know in torrent...

So definetely TORRENT is the way >>>
And Rapidshare is also good and there are a few nice friendly communities sharing good stuff around as well...

Skiz
02-25-2008, 01:29 PM
by using a couple of trial accounts dl like GB's of stuff and yeah it's good coz you don't have to share... but it's kind of stupid in a way... where are the people no community and shit ???... and well content always get there later than a few places i know in torrent...

And Rapidshare is also good and there are a few nice friendly communities sharing good stuff around as well...

Most people (like me) could care less about a "community".

I want files, not a social movement. :ermm:

$SnoopDo2G$
02-25-2008, 01:31 PM

Yeah me too but i like gettin' stuff with the comment of the uploader,
not dl stuff from a robot or some server like a stranger...:blink:

C-mos
02-25-2008, 01:31 PM

I agree with u :)

Skiz
02-25-2008, 02:34 PM

Yeah me too but i like gettin' stuff with the comment of the uploader,
not dl stuff from a robot or some server like a stranger...:blink:

The same NFO comes with the download no matter which method you use.

Also, there are plenty of NZB sites such as FST where comments can be left in a similar fashion.

Hairbautt
02-25-2008, 05:50 PM

FST is a social movement. Glad you could care less about us. :snooty: Jerk.

JUSTAGUY
02-28-2008, 04:05 AM

i agree with you a 100%:yup:

bungeemirth
02-28-2008, 04:36 AM

i agree with you a 100%:yup:

amen brother:D

DefX
02-28-2008, 04:52 AM

Totally.

Stick to torrents.

I'm DefX and I approve this message

mbucari1
02-28-2008, 06:41 AM
Totally.

Stick to torrents.

I'm DefX and I approve this messageUm, BS? Usenet has tens of thousands of communities, you know, the ORIGINAL purpose which is still used. It's DESIGNED for text posting, and doesn't support binaries directly. So if you ever bother, you can open your newsreader and join the fun! I don't know why you prefer bittorrent, but don't use lack of community as an excuse.

DasFox
02-28-2008, 07:14 AM
What is usenet axx?

Usenet and Torrents both have their pros and cons.

stitched
02-28-2008, 07:28 AM
i have never used newsgroups if my country had paypal i would definatly prefer newsgroups over torrents,

i used to buy wares in my country but the quality of movies are pretty bad but i never used to waste a lot of time in front of comp,now that i think about it ,it was lot better then what i am doing now but luckily i have a lot of spare time since i flunked in college this year

most of the guys who talk everything about community and all that junk on FST are hardly active members of the torrent forums especially if its a low level tracker.....and i think about only 20% of total torrent users are regular posters in a torrent forum,

i just need to...."watch all the possible movies ,play all the possible games, get all the softwares i want and listen to the songs i want".....with the least amount of money...i am not here to make friendship happen ...

in torrents i have to worry about
ratios ,
trading and anti-trading crap,
signing up to 20 different trackers to access a large spectrum of data and keeping them active,
and then make sure who i give out my invites to,the invite which i earned for having good ratios
making sure i get those invites i want from the right person,
and when one of the accounts get disabled because i trade i would feel emotional about the account i lost since i would have spent so much time on that account,that doesnt mean i would stop trading,i believe in trading its those anti-traders who have to change the way they think.
if all of the above is not enough when these torrent sites get shut down in order to get invited to new torrent sites make sure i am active enough on the forums that some one would consider me worthy enough to be trusted for an invite....like any number of invite to any torrent site would mean anything in anyones life
if me spending a few bucks would ensure me to peacefully download what i want without having to worry about anything ,i would be more then happy

if i had a choice i would prefer truth over lies and newsgroups over any high level torrent site.

DefX
02-28-2008, 11:24 AM
I'm DefX and I approve this messageUm, BS? Usenet has tens of thousands of communities, you know, the ORIGINAL purpose which is still used. It's DESIGNED for text posting, and doesn't support binaries directly. So if you ever bother, you can open your newsreader and join the fun! I don't know why you prefer bittorrent, but don't use lack of community as an excuse.

Um, you're barking at the wrong tree? :ermm:

manker
02-28-2008, 01:29 PM
Um, BS? Usenet has tens of thousands of communities, you know, the ORIGINAL purpose which is still used. It's DESIGNED for text posting, and doesn't support binaries directly. So if you ever bother, you can open your newsreader and join the fun! I don't know why you prefer bittorrent, but don't use lack of community as an excuse.

What the fuck does that mean.
Mbucari1 is right, his point pertinent. This thread is called 'Newsgroups vs high level trackers'.

===

Further, usenet was around way before private BT trackers. It predates them by some twenty years and releases of apps, TV programs, and the latest films traditionally go to usenet first. It's always been the way. Usenet and its numerous groups, has many, many more uploaders than any private torrent site. Fact.

Now I'm not saying that some BT trackers don't have uploaders that cap TV shows or crack programs and release them exclusively to the site but usenet is the place for getting releases first.
You have to know the right groups, of course, but once you've got your favourite groups entrenched in your newsreader of choice, you'll find everything you need and will be able to download it faster than if you relied on your private tracker.

DefX
02-28-2008, 01:40 PM
Mbucari1 is right, his point pertinent. This thread is called 'Newsgroups vs high level trackers'.

===

Further, usenet was around way before private BT trackers. It predates them by some twenty years and releases of apps, TV programs, and the latest films traditionally go to usenet first. It's always been the way. Usenet and its numerous groups, has many, many more uploaders than any private torrent site. Fact.

Now I'm not saying that some BT trackers don't have uploaders that cap TV shows or crack programs and release them exclusively to the site but usenet is the place for getting releases first.
You have to know the right groups, of course, but once you've got your favourite groups entrenched in your newsreader of choice, you'll find everything you need and will be able to download it faster than if you relied on your private tracker.

It means you two are telling me facts I already know and cherish in NGs. It means he's preaching to the wrong person. That's what I fucking mean.

Skizo was obviously using sarcasm in his original reply and I merely seconded it.

manker
02-28-2008, 01:47 PM

===

It means you two are telling me facts I already know and cherish in NGs. It means he's preaching to the wrong person. That's what I fucking mean.

Skizo was obviously using sarcasm in his original reply and I merely seconded it.
You're obviously confusing it with barking up the wrong tree. That's what I fucking meant. Your English sucks. I followed the sarcasm theme and then posted some information for the filesharing community to revel in.

See, we're not telling you. At least I wasn't, I used a post separator because I felt that a thread about the differences between NGs and BT should contain info for people to make their minds up which method to choose.

Rather than mods taking the pish out of members.
That sort of stuff is better left in the lounge, n'est pas?

Sonnentier
02-28-2008, 03:00 PM
Newsgroups are mainly for file downloading.

Private trackers are mainly for file-trading.

It has both pros and cons, but for me the actual leeched files are somewhat
secondary compared to the spirit of file-trading - it's a personal question too.

DefX
02-28-2008, 04:58 PM

You're obviously confusing it with barking up the wrong tree. That's what I fucking meant. Your English sucks. I followed the sarcasm theme and then posted some information for the filesharing community to revel in.

See, we're not telling you. At least I wasn't, I used a post separator because I felt that a thread about the differences between NGs and BT should contain info for people to make their minds up which method to choose.

Rather than mods taking the pish out of members.
That sort of stuff is better left in the lounge, n'est pas?

Silly me. I committed a typo on a commonly used idiom. Forgive me manker for making your ears cringe every time I commit a sacrilege upon your beautiful language.

My take on this matter is that the more people that are turned off from NG's, the less heat it will garner from the authorities. That's why I said what I said. Though I still consider myself a NG noob so I don't know how valid that argument is.

Sonnentier
02-29-2008, 01:05 AM
What is usenet axx?Usenet access ;)

Like you have a usually paid account to enter the world of usenet.. and leech off high-speed servers..

bungeemirth
02-29-2008, 01:45 AM
What is usenet axx?Usenet access ;)

Like you have a usually paid account to enter the world of usenet.. and leech off high-speed servers..

i dont think dasfox is actually asking a question, he's merely trying to prove a fact that usenet is not a community b/c people do have to buy axx to be able to download so essentially using usenet is more like paying a private gym membership as oppose to working out at local ymca, but in response to his argument.....

You dont necessarily have to pay for premium usenet account in order to be able to join the actual the communities that are available on usenet, your isp actually already included that axx "free of charge" along w/ the service that you've subscribed to. however, if you planning to use that communities for a different intention, let say as a mean to acquire shit that u want, you have to cough up some more bucks for a premium acc that will let u do that. in regards to torrents, the same thing would probably be called seedboxes or servers - come on torrent folks do not say you bought axx to vectoral just for the sake of it, i know you guys did that so you could move up within the ladde-

now, in regards to stitched made,if he actually stating what his belief- and not trying to be sarcastic at all- it is quite interesting to actually see the numbers of torrent users who are actually seeding the file because he wanted to maintain their communities as opposed to just seeding file to maintain his ratio so that he wont be kicked out of those high level trackers, or actually be able to enter one, b/c if they actually seed based on intention no 1, surely there will be lot more files that are circulating w/in torrent community

WHAT DO YOU THINK DASFOX??

Sonnentier
02-29-2008, 02:31 AM
Well I got my seedbox initially for the sake of it, to improve infrastructure.

But now that I have it, it's true I also use it a lot to get up the ladder, to improve ratios and such.
But that's also because those noobs are usually so unthankfull and don't even leave a line after getting 100Mbit stream.
They usually don't even seed back properly, so if you meant the seedbox should help low-level torrenting, this is like giving away money for free :/

But no I think you meant more that we should help the variety of files within the private trackers. Well, seeding back is always easier than adding content on your own, which is still much easier than ripping yourself. I always try to help file availability, but older files are usually so unasked that the motivation sinks rapidly. Somehow torrents can also be compared to redirected, buffered broadcasting. Imagine there is a ball-lightning rushing, and you ricochet it over there, then here again, right through the torrent scene.. and after some time the lightning has vanished and so has the shining where it passed.

I'm not sure if this is the topic you meant by more files should circulate?

DasFox
02-29-2008, 06:01 AM
Ahh axx an abbreviation, hehe, ok. ;)

Well I'm a old Usenet geek, and one of the simplest ways to look for what you want is like a NZB search engine like Newzbin. Before Newzbin was around I use to subscribe to groups and download headers and dig this way.

We all know how you look for torrents on a private tracker now right? hehe :)

The thing is, what I meant by Pros and Cons are, you're not always going to find what you are looking for on Usenet or a Tracker.

On Usenet if it's not there you are going to have to subscribe to one of the groups and make a request, and typically if you are dealing with something fairly new and popular, someone will fill that request.

Now on the community side of things if you subscribe to Newsgroups and look around in them for the things you want this way you can get to know others there, because I have seen the same people year after year uploading to the groups and people make post replies back and forth to one another, similar to like being on a forum making posts, so there can be a bit of community going on in a newsgroup, it just depends on that group is all.

I have RoadRunner as my ISP and I get great download speeds and so for free it's awesome, but granted if I were to pay, and I use to have an account with Newshosting.com then I get faster speeds, but if you have a good ISP, then you can get good speeds then.

So if your ISP gives you good Usenet axx for free and you're on some torrent trackers then you've got a good mix of both worlds.

PEACE :)

Tokeman
02-29-2008, 06:57 PM
Ahh axx an abbreviation, hehe, ok. ;)

Well I'm a old Usenet geek, and one of the simplest ways to look for what you want is like a NZB search engine like Newzbin. Before Newzbin was around I use to subscribe to groups and download headers and dig this way.

We all know how you look for torrents on a private tracker now right? hehe :)

The thing is, what I meant by Pros and Cons are, you're not always going to find what you are looking for on Usenet or a Tracker.

On Usenet if it's not there you are going to have to subscribe to one of the groups and make a request, and typically if you are dealing with something fairly new and popular, someone will fill that request.

Now on the community side of things if you subscribe to Newsgroups and look around in them for the things you want this way you can get to know others there, because I have seen the same people year after year uploading to the groups and people make post replies back and forth to one another, similar to like being on a forum making posts, so there can be a bit of community going on in a newsgroup, it just depends on that group is all.

I have RoadRunner as my ISP and I get great download speeds and so for free it's awesome, but granted if I were to pay, and I use to have an account with Newshosting.com then I get faster speeds, but if you have a good ISP, then you can get good speeds then.

So if your ISP gives you good Usenet axx for free and you're on some torrent trackers then you've got a good mix of both worlds.

PEACE :)

I always forget about my ISP access to newsgroups. I get like 1-2GB per month, not much, but its something at least... I pay for usenet access for unlimited though through another provider. I like using both torrent sites and newsgroups, both have unique content IMO, although a lot of the content can be found on both, or requested on both. The thing I like about torrents is the content specific sites, you get older, more rare content on these trackers (non scene stuff too), and a lot of it would be hard to come by elsewhere.

UsenetGuy
02-29-2008, 09:08 PM
For those of you saying usenet has no community, have you ever connected to EFNet? lol

There are huge usenet channels on irc, where people talk to each other, fill/request stuff etc... Seriously though, where else would the community be? usenet hasn't got its own forum or anything. Oh and I think that most of the people posting here saying torrents are better, have never even tried usenet... So unless you have tried it, don't bother posting. If you have tried usenet and still prefer bittorrent, thats your opinion :)

I myself prefer usenet/newsgroups, i think they are much better than bittorrent.

Bittorrent:
Alot of fake torrents (unless on private tracker)
Private trackers often hard to get into
Must seed back what you download
Most people can't keep a decent ratio, meaning they need to pay lots of money for a seedbox
Content on private trackers is often very limited, scene releases only
Speeds on public trackers are usually crap
Unless it is very popular, a torrent will die out fairly quickly.
Swarm can get stuck and no one finishes downloading
Shows your IP to everyone on the torrent, RIAA or anyone can easily see your leeching/seeding
Trackers tend to die alot or are just generally overloaded
Easier than UseNet
May have some stuff unavailable anywhere else
Stuff you might not be able to find anywhere else (sometimes get very rare stuff)
Encryption available

UseNet/NewsGroups:
Not as much fake posts
No need to keep a ratio, leech as much as your package allows (most have unlimited)
Depending on your usenet server, you can reach speeds of over 100Mbit constantly
Retention is high enough, 100-120 days on most servers, 200 on GigaNews
Gets new stuff fairly fast, though will take a while to be indexed by SuperSearch and NZB Sites
Alot of home rips, not just scene releases
Posts you might not be able to find anywhere else (sometimes get very rare stuff posted)
Secure, you download from one server so your IP is hidden
Encryption Available
Most likely will cost money for access to a decent server

:shifty:

Sonnentier
03-01-2008, 04:15 AM
I myself prefer usenet/newsgroups, i think they are much better than bittorrent.
Says torrentguy :D

saulin
03-01-2008, 04:27 AM
I don't know how people can preffer torrents expecpt if they can't afford usenet. Like torrentguy said. No ratio to worry about, no slow connections. All downloads have the same speed. You must have premium access obviously. up to 200 days of retention and even then many things are reposted before that. Huge amounts of requests are filled daily. Usenet is more secure. You'll find so much more content.

I have tried both and ATM I only use torrents for things I can't find on usenet. Yeah community would be found on IRC channels and there are also some forums out there for usenet discussion. Like Skizo says though. "I'm not looking for a community" I just want to pirate stuff so I care about content and speed.

Sonnentier
03-01-2008, 04:40 AM
I just want to pirate stuff so I care about content and speed.
That's often the image of newsleechers ;P

And for me the file-trading is more important than the most efficient way to pirate stuff.

But yeah if you want files fast then get Rapidshare for http stream or Usenet access for the ocean of data.
After all, Usenet is a very good resource.

saqib
03-01-2008, 09:15 PM
u cant compare newsgroups with trackers like TL , ScT , ScL , iplay , FTN etc , which are Giants in Packs and pre-times...
and above all they have got some very nice communities too , like TL ...
and they are FREE , and we get satisfaction by seed back to the community ,..
and remember its not all about getting stuff , its about SHARING and CARING , when we talk about good places like i mention ,
and in newsgroups u go just for leech , and u cant expect great packs that the pearls i mentioned above ( specially iplay . ScL ) do have , iplay has a movies pack of about 475 GB ( i think about science fiction movies )

saulin
03-01-2008, 09:51 PM
Actually the topic was trying to compare high level trackers with usenet. Well lets start with packs. I don't think many people will download a movie pack that is over 20 gigs complete. They will just download what they like. Packs are used as ratio builders. I have never downlaoded a full movie pack. I have downloaded full seasons of a show though.

I preffer DVDs over DivX movies as well and guess what. Probably the best DVD-R tracker is swebits which has open slots every day. I have some high level trackers and never use them much because it's a pain in the ass to seed so many gigs back and it hurts your ratio when you want to download a lot. I rather use trackers like TL where is easier to seed back.

If you like to share. Well anyone can upload to newsgroups as well. There are tons of requests to be filled as well. In top torrent sites only certain people can upload and really not everything is well seeded. People only seed stuff that they think they can use to build their ratio. Usenet has thousands of discussion groups as well. The community is huge.

I think a few people already pointed out some of the key points for torrents and newsgroups.

Torrents

pros
-Registration is usually free
-Better community?
-You can find some unique content

cons
-Hard to get into the top torrent sites
-Not everything will download at fast speeds

Usenet

Pros
-Everything is full speed (Must have premium access)
-With so many groups the content is simply more than you can handle
-Very long retention (Must have premium access)
-You can find some unique content

Cons
-It costs money

Well there is so much to be said about both and yeah it depends on what you are looking for but I mean I see people paying for seedboxes so they can stay alive in the torrent community. I never had to do that and if I have to pay for a seedbox in order to seed back I much rather just pay for premium usenet access.

Oh yeah I do use rapidshare as well and I gatta say the speed is great but I haven't found a good web site that tracks rapidshare releases like torrent trackers do. At leats no one that has free open registrations but Rapidshare is sweet for pr0n.

bungeemirth
03-01-2008, 10:03 PM
u cant compare newsgroups with trackers like TL , ScT , ScL , iplay , FTN etc , which are Giants in Packs and pre-times...
and above all they have got some very nice communities too , like TL ...
and they are FREE , and we get satisfaction by seed back to the community ,..
and remember its not all about getting stuff , its about SHARING and CARING , when we talk about good places like i mention ,
and in newsgroups u go just for leech , and u cant expect great packs that the pearls i mentioned above ( specially iplay . ScL ) do have , iplay has a movies pack of about 475 GB ( i think about science fiction movies )

seeing that you did not bother at all to take into consideration or probably even read all the infos that being said in previous posts, i have to agree w/ the comment that skizo said earlier

STICK TO TORRENTS

:rolleyes:

Sonnentier
03-01-2008, 10:28 PM
In Newsgroups there are top-uploaders and many leechers.
The majority is usually not leet enough to be a top-uploader often.

With torrents, also the usual user can seed back what he got.
This creates a united experience where people send to each other.

cubbyche
03-03-2008, 04:03 AM
Newsgroups ? What newsgroups there is no such thing!

thewho
03-03-2008, 04:51 PM
i think that torrents is the best options so far

DasFox
03-05-2008, 07:45 AM
Hey like I've always said, "The More The Merrier" :)

Don't diss Usenet, don't diss torrents, just use both if your ISP gives you free Usenet access.

When you can't find what you're looking for on one try the other, at least now you have twice the chance, and more selections....

PEACE

saqib
03-05-2008, 11:23 AM
long live torrents , newsgroup sucks big time..

Jdsnut
03-05-2008, 03:26 PM

I agree with him.

rogerse
03-05-2008, 04:07 PM
And to think all the nay sayers would probably be in newsgroups if they had the $$.Face it, you have to pay for a reason, its so much better, content and speed, just leech like hell withought ratio and max your connection.

Kyokushin
03-05-2008, 05:49 PM
pay = fail

jmagar
03-05-2008, 08:50 PM
asskissing = fail

Mr JP Fugley
03-05-2008, 09:05 PM
I prefer Usenet overall and only use BT for files I can't get there.

For me it's faster, more comprehensive and more secure.

My isp provides access, but not to all groups. Enough to fill my needs though.

I rarely if ever cannot get what I want using both systems. So for me Usenet is better but I wouldn't want to be without private trackers.

I never, ever use public trackers.

Disme
03-11-2008, 09:47 AM
I use Bt because it's free. No shame in that. I already have to pay enough to my ISP, to go waisting some more money to do something I can also do for free with BT. OK ... there's the ratio thingie but that's just peanuts IMHO.

A community is nice but I believe that there are a lot more communities than just the BT-community.

And about the pré-speed ... well ... that is obviously not a very intelligent discussion. If something is available 5 minutes earlier on Bt than on usenet, who are we to complain about that. If you really wanna be the fastest than try to get into one of the few topsitez.

Only than you can truly say you were the fastest to get something (but at what cost would that be, when you know what standards you have to meet to get in there).

(I)
03-14-2008, 04:21 AM
Torrent ftw, will never pay for downloadin', yeah perhaps paying to keep some communities live is better

boxmanuser
03-14-2008, 06:01 PM
I think usenet is good for current releases it seems like they lack in things released a while back.

BigMike01
03-15-2008, 04:25 AM
well i will never knock newsgroups because i never used them and i do hear good things about them but i have to choose bt because i don't have to pay and the communities r great.

bungeemirth
03-17-2008, 07:55 AM
I think usenet is good for current releases it seems like they lack in things released a while back.

no disrespect, but do you even know about how the retention period works??:ermm:

newswalker
04-04-2008, 10:45 PM
Usenet retention is very good compared to 0day torrent sites, but specialized sites like bitmetv or oink (rip) are even better.

And torrent sites give you more information about the files. Usually you get all important information directly from the uploader. You know video resolution, bitrate, languages, subtitles and so on after one simple click. Good uploaders also add screenshots and compare their release to similar ones.

If you use newzbin or other indexing sites you depend on different people to index everything. Some of this people are really good, but most are not. They forget to use important tags like "1080p" and some languages, they forget to index some episodes of a show or tag them in a different way, so you don't find them. Sometimes they miss the nfo files, sometimes they don't add the pars. In the end you have to use RAW view and search for nfo files on your own. Then you have to compare all those nfo files and decide which one might be the best.

If you don't care about quality this is not much of a problem, but for movie/tv/music collectors and perfectionists usenet is much more work than seeding back some torrents. My way of using usenet is to look in torrent sites for the files I want and then do a usenet RAW search for that release. Either I can download it from usenet or I have to use one of my buffers in bittorrent. Anyway I try to seed the file on bittorrent to increase my buffer.

For some of my favorite shows I use RSS to autostart the torrents and get a good ratio without having to bother with usenet at all.

lightshow
04-06-2008, 03:40 AM
Currently, I think a high level private tracker is better than newsgroups.

1) BT and Usenet are giving equal access to new stuff

2) BT is free

3) BT's drawback (ratios) are not that big of a draw back (disregarding 1080i rips, etc.)

But you also have to consider that you need

1) Access to private tracker with what you want

2) Will have to seed back

3) Higher risk of being caught in a swarm

4) The future is all about bigger stuff once more things come out on DVD/BlueRay sets (games, movies, pr0n) so getting those on Newsgroups is better in terms of ratio, but may be worse in terms of quotas

I'm content on just using torrents. Plus if it's something hot, I'll just hop on IRC and grab it there. Maybe wait in a small line all queued up, but no big deal.

Plus as everyone says, you probably have a small quota of ISP based free newsgroup access.

skiners
08-27-2008, 10:14 PM
I prefer Torrents but also I use Newsgroups! Can`t get all releases in 0Day trackers!!!

hitman51
08-27-2008, 10:44 PM
wanna know why i prefer torrents? because i don't have to pay for it. the end.

Tokeman
08-28-2008, 09:26 PM
Newsgroups have >= 90% of what is released on private trackers. If its not there, which is rare, it can be requested, and normally appears within a day.
I like torrents over newsgroups just because its free, but that doesn't mean that torrents have better content. I think they are pretty even content wise.

bammers
08-29-2008, 03:20 AM
Just cancelled my newsgroup subscription and purchased a seedbox. There is alot more obscure docco's and what not floating around on torrentsites.

Newsgroups are a bit easier on the $ I rekon, but theres no forums - like this one and a few others.

Torrents are simply more rewarding IMHO.

Blackbeard
08-29-2008, 03:43 AM
Usenet is ok, but i really like bittorrents newsgroups sucks because u gotta pay for it monthy and i don't have that kind of money. <__<

Funkin'
08-31-2008, 07:24 PM
Usenet, all the way. I use both methods. But to me, Usenet is the better way to illegally obtain your files. Hands down. It's faster and it's safer. More content too.

Overlord
08-31-2008, 08:15 PM
And way more efficient in terms of bandwidth.

UsenetGuy
08-31-2008, 08:43 PM
I think they are pretty even content wise.

Oh my god, you could not be more wrong.

And all along i've been thinking people go to trackers to download stuff. I can't believe I was so wrong (sarcasm). Who cares if usenet don't have a good community, that's what this forum is for.

DylanDog
09-01-2008, 12:41 PM
Prefer

1.FTP, then
2.Usenet, then
3.Private Trackers [high level only]

Funkin'
09-01-2008, 05:08 PM
And all along i've been thinking people go to trackers to download stuff. I can't believe I was so wrong (sarcasm). Who cares if usenet don't have a good community, that's what this forum is for.

It's not even about that for most torrenters these days. Alot of them like to rent a box just so they can jump on all the newly uploaded shit, whether they want it or not, just to increase their buffer for bragging rights. Or they jump from site to site trying to get in the latest, most rare, or "highest level" tracker. Which they all have the same content as a "lower level" tracker. It's not even about the content or community(which is such a lame excuse for wanting a tracker anyways) for a lot of them. For most it's all about the e-penis, which is pathetic.

Luckily with Usenet you don't have to deal with any of that shit. You grab your file and you're done.

UsenetGuy
09-01-2008, 10:11 PM

It's not even about that for most torrenters these days. Alot of them like to rent a box just so they can jump on all the newly uploaded shit, whether they want it or not, just to increase their buffer for bragging rights. Or they jump from site to site trying to get in the latest, most rare, or "highest level" tracker. Which they all have the same content as a "lower level" tracker. It's not even about the content or community(which is such a lame excuse for wanting a tracker anyways) for a lot of them. For most it's all about the e-penis, which is pathetic.

Luckily with Usenet you don't have to deal with any of that shit. You grab your file and you're done.

:thumbsup:

Imhotep
09-03-2008, 07:36 AM
High level trackers

On the torrent trackers have paks movies (ScT, SCC, TL, iTS etc.) , the news does not.

misterkrek
09-04-2008, 05:26 AM
Private Torrent Trackes, in my opinion, are simply better: free; files pre-tested by a responsible member; speed and availability usually par with newsgroups/usenet... Ok, worrying about your ratio is a pain sometimes, but it's better than paying money...

McBride
09-05-2008, 04:11 PM
I prefer high level trackers of course!

wasaby
09-21-2008, 10:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquill http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/../../images/buttons_fst/viewpost.gif (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/../t-newsgroups-vs-high-level-trackers-280457-post2690076)

Totally.

Stick to torrents.

that is what i feel :)

Windy72
09-21-2008, 05:35 PM
All have merits but with seed boxes maxing out connections your a ratio can take a hammering that you can never get back on HLT's. In my mind I use BT for stuff I cannot find on NG's but I use p2p as a last resort. I am not having a go at p2p just an ordinary guy I cannot afford a box and a NSP. So I just download what I reallly need off p2p and then hopefully I can seed back.

I prefer usenet as it takes the headache out of getting ratio 1:1 or better. Simple really that is the only reason I prefer usenet.

As for communties what is wrong with FST and its very good NZB section.:naughty:

yakz091
09-21-2008, 05:54 PM

I have to agree on this point though i prefer bt, maybe i will change my mind later.

about the discussion which is better, my vote goes to newsgroups ( sounds bit strange right, no i dont think so)

forthat
09-22-2008, 07:24 AM

I have to agree on this point though i prefer bt, maybe i will change my mind later.

about the discussion which is better, my vote goes to newsgroups ( sounds bit strange right, no i dont think so)

ha ha ....:huh:

get a tunnel ...if u have any problem with the ISP :whistling

lukee
09-27-2008, 04:33 AM
point of piracy--->you don't have to pay for anything except your monthly internet bill.

Any pay-for service defies that. Anybody who uses those services are not true pirates :P

Albo Da Kid
09-29-2008, 01:41 PM
I prefer torrent sites. Theyre free and have their own community.

dr jones
09-29-2008, 01:43 PM
high level tracker
why cause it free
and you can meet alot of
new people every day :)

lukee
09-29-2008, 11:13 PM
private trackers. free and fast.

rippinitup4fun
09-30-2008, 03:20 AM
point of piracy--->you don't have to pay for anything except your monthly internet bill.

Any pay-for service defies that. Anybody who uses those services are not true pirates :P

What a Catch-22, walking contradiction that babble is.

If you want to be a true pirate go rape the high seas and pillage and plunder anything in your path (Blockbuster maybe?)... but be aware that even with that there is out of pocket expense. LOL!

Look the truth of the matter is Usenet is superior and will be for the foreseeable future.

*No Ratio to worry about
*No worry's about gaining an invite into the hottest shit this side of the Big D just to nab that one flick you are after.
*No worrying about keeping up with the multiple sites you have in your bookmarks so you are not booted for inactivity.
*No worrying about IPfilters (nuff said)
*As far as the community argument goes, have any of you that think you have the Ace of Spades ever even checked the many discussions groups? I mean there are thousands on every topic you can think of.
*On most high level trackers you need a seedbox which is much more costly per-month than a Usenet subscription, if you say it is not more costly per-month my guess is that you are sharing your box with more than a few people. Either way kinda defeats your whole "it is free no need to pay for anything but my ISP argument" .

My 2 Cents

Broken
09-30-2008, 04:37 AM
Some people just need a community to rub their "e-penis" for them to make it all worth it to them.

Myself, I can live without any drama or ass kissing.
I get my stuff first, FAST, securely - and most importantly, I have piece of mind in knowing I am totally safe no matter what I do. If I have to shell out a few bucks, so be it. I'd rather give out a few bucks than kiss ass and have to worry about watching my ass so that I don't get sued.

iLOVENZB
09-30-2008, 04:59 AM
It's hard to pin point which network get pre faster depends on the uploader.

Usenet/Torrents for me.

mrtorrent
10-02-2008, 06:37 AM

I agree with u :)
I agree with u