PDA

View Full Version : Universal DNA Database

chalice
02-26-2008, 10:58 PM
Would you vote to bring about a system whereby every human being must submit DNA and make this system adherent to your children?

Discuss.

Ting!

Alien5
02-26-2008, 11:05 PM
Would you vote to...blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah?
no! :mellow:

bornwithnoname
02-26-2008, 11:06 PM
me either

chalice
02-26-2008, 11:08 PM
Would you vote to...blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah?
no! :mellow:

Well that's a good job, then coz hoo the feck would want your DNA unless it was to reproduce spastics, like.

Mr JP Fugley
02-26-2008, 11:13 PM
I would have no problem with details of my DNA structure being held on a database. I see no reason to object to it.

Something Else
02-26-2008, 11:16 PM
I would strongly object as it's my DNA and not theirs.
I shall do with it as I please. :snooty:

chalice
02-26-2008, 11:17 PM
I would have no problem with details of my DNA structure being held on a database. I see no reason to object to it.

I wouldn't either, mate.

However, the grey area seeps in when this is imposed. It has to be a voluntary affair.

Shirley, the only inalienable human right is the right to with-hold parts of your body.

Biggles
02-26-2008, 11:20 PM
We leave traces of skin and DNA wherever we go. I dare say in the future there will come a time when the technology exists to read it by simply wafting a DNA wand. A person could be linked to any location by reference to a central computer database.

A bit brave new worldish :dabs:

No specific objections but one hell of a tool in the wrong hands.

Alien5
02-26-2008, 11:21 PM
i already have submitted my DNA, cunts. :dry:

chalice
02-26-2008, 11:22 PM
We leave traces of skin and DNA wherever we go. I dare say in the future there will come a time when the technology exists to read it by simply wafting a DNA wand. A person could be linked to any location by reference to a central computer database.

A bit brave new worldish :dabs:

No specific objections but one hell of a tool in the wrong hands.

Brave New Worldish not to mention 1984ish and other such dystopias.

But moreishly so.

100%
02-26-2008, 11:23 PM
On a positive note,
It could solve the age old, male oedipus paranoia of;
is that my child.
Oui.
It could resolve some issues.

chalice
02-26-2008, 11:24 PM
i already have submitted my DNA, cunts. :dry:

There goes the screening.

Warning, infertile ones.

Alien5
02-26-2008, 11:26 PM
i've never failed a screening, i don't smoke or take drugs.

Mr JP Fugley
02-26-2008, 11:27 PM

I wouldn't either, mate.

However, the grey area seeps in when this is imposed. It has to be a voluntary affair.

Shirley, the only inalienable human right is the right to with-hold parts of your body.

If the government wants to hold records of my DNA, fingerprints, retinal scans and anything else which can identify me I have no problem with it. Why would I.

I think it's a genuinely small price to pay to make it easier to identify rapists, paedophiles, murderers and students.

Something Else
02-26-2008, 11:34 PM
If the government wants to hold records of my DNA, fingerprints, retinal scans and anything else which can identify me I have no problem with it. Why would I.

I think it's a genuinely small price to pay to make it easier to identify rapists, paedophiles, murderers and students.

What if your just a bit naughty and none of those harsh things. :unsure:

Alien5
02-26-2008, 11:40 PM
don't worry its not gonna happen anytime soon.

Mr JP Fugley
02-26-2008, 11:40 PM

What if your just a bit naughty and none of those harsh things. :unsure:

I'm not sure, what did you have in mind. :blink:

chalice
02-26-2008, 11:42 PM
I wouldn't either, mate.

On that point, the argument exists that if everyone who fancied himself a decent person, submitted their DNA voluntarily, then it would narrow down investigations and so assist the proceedings without the need for a universal database.

Assuming, of course, that human beings are decent.

Alien5
02-26-2008, 11:44 PM
nobodys perfect. :snooty: ...except the queen and a few others.

Something Else
02-26-2008, 11:46 PM
I participate in the odd activity that isn't seen as strictly legal and I may leave some DNA behind :unsure: . So with this proposed new system, I would worry that every time I lit up a spliff (Or chucked a roach away) someone would arrest the fuck out of me. Or that they could if they felt like it. :pinch:

I don't want to go in to any more detail. :emo: :fear:

Alien5
02-26-2008, 11:46 PM
coz hoo the feck would want your DNA every fucking body.

Mr JP Fugley
02-26-2008, 11:48 PM

On that point, the argument exists that if everyone who fancied himself a decent person, submitted their DNA voluntarily, then it would narrow down investigations and so assist the proceedings without the need for a universal database.

Again, no problem with that.

However I would make it compulsory and would also take samples from new-borns to save any hassle. Tho' that might not work as they wouldn't be registered yet.

So I might have to make the registration of birth thing happen at birth or as soon as reasonably practicable thereafter.

Having the Registrar there might not be entirely practical. Wouldn't want to invade anyone's privacy or out.

Alien5
I participate in the odd activity that isn't seen as strictly legal and I may leave some DNA behind :unsure: . So with this proposed new system, I would worry that every time I lit up a spliff (Or chucked a roach away) someone would arrest the fuck out of me. Or that they could if they felt like it. :pinch:

I don't want to go in to any more detail. :emo: :fear:

stoners like you should be the first to get DNA tested, anally.

Hairbautt
I'd give my DNA if she just asked.

Something Else
02-26-2008, 11:51 PM
I'd get arrested for something I don't agree is a crime. :emo:

Mr JP Fugley
02-26-2008, 11:55 PM

So

Alien5
02-26-2008, 11:58 PM
anyway a couple of roaches ain't exactly crime of the century, The cops wouldn't search DNA to find the dope user, thats a waste of money and time.

possession of cannabis is nothing.

but if you re-offend they start getting more abusive/serious.

chalice
02-27-2008, 12:04 AM

However I would make it compulsory and would also take samples from new-borns to save any hassle. Tho' that might not work as they wouldn't be registered yet.

So I might have to make the registration of birth thing happen at birth or as soon as reasonably practicable thereafter.

Having the Registrar there might not be entirely practical. Wouldn't want to invade any one's privacy or out.

I can reasonably accept that stance, but I can't get over the essential 'branding' which it inevitability implies.

I can accept that monsters exist but I don't think I should prove that I'm not one of them.

Mr JP Fugley
02-27-2008, 12:12 AM

Having the Registrar there might not be entirely practical. Wouldn't want to invade any one's privacy or out.

I can reasonably accept that stance, but I can't get over the essential 'branding' which it inevitability implies.

I can accept that monsters exist but I don't think I should prove that I'm not one of them.

How is it asking you to prove that. I can't even begin to understand that argument.

Alien5
02-27-2008, 12:17 AM
i think chalice disagrees with compulsory DNA testing for non criminals.

Mr JP Fugley
02-27-2008, 12:20 AM

I understand that but I don't understand how it is asking anyone to disprove anything.

chalice
02-27-2008, 12:22 AM

How is it asking you to prove that. I can't even begin to understand that argument.

For one thing, errors occur in labs.

Just as innocent men have been hung in jails, mistakes will be made in DNA analyses. Human error will win out.

No fucking doubt, I am somewhat inept in this debate but the fundamental withstands.

Nobody can force you to relinquish your corpus forcibly.

Alien5
02-27-2008, 12:22 AM

I understand that but I don't understand how it is asking anyone to disprove anything.

explain what you don't understand again? I'm slightly lost.

Mr JP Fugley
02-27-2008, 12:24 AM

explain what you don't understand again? I'm slightly lost.

You'd have to ask Chalice that, he was the one who made the point.

Mr JP Fugley
02-27-2008, 12:26 AM

Just as innocent men have been hung in jails, mistakes will be made in DNA analyses. Human error will win out.

Oh you are one of these chaps who believes that if there is a DNA database then that will become the only way crime is investigated. Fair do's, I see your point then.

Alien5
02-27-2008, 12:27 AM

I agree, I think "Lab errors" could be used as an excuse by the police when they want to convict an innocent person using DNA tests. that doesnt make much sense though. :unsure:

Mr JP Fugley
02-27-2008, 12:32 AM

I agree, I think "Lab errors" could be used as an excuse by the police when they want to convict an innocent person using DNA tests. that doesnt make much sense though. :unsure:

I think you may have lost your mind there.

Snee
02-27-2008, 12:33 AM
It'll prolly turn up eventually :dabs:

Alien5
02-27-2008, 12:35 AM
agreed. Im just saying that the police can use DNA testing to convict innocent people or criminals like chalice and benchez for instance.

chalice
02-27-2008, 12:35 AM

Allen, do you have any fucking idea what the fuck you are actually talking about or what?

Alien5
02-27-2008, 12:36 AM
yes and no.

Mr JP Fugley
02-27-2008, 12:36 AM
agreed. Im just saying that the police can use DNA testing to convict innocent people or criminals like chalice and benchez for instance.

How could they use "lab errors" to do that.

Mr JP Fugley
02-27-2008, 12:37 AM

Allen, do you have any fucking idea what the fuck you are actually talking about or what?

:glag: :earl: :nightynight:

Alien5
02-27-2008, 12:39 AM
Say they have chalices DNA on their computer, then they plant the DNA on the crime scene, then use the planted DNA as evidence in a court of law like.

hopeful1
02-27-2008, 12:45 AM
it won't stop with a DNA database

they'll have to link it up with a national register - much like the Nazis had - which will contain your ethnicity, religion, and any information the government feels "appropriate"

alongside the DNA databas, an ID card will be forced on people, which will result in police stop-and-searches when one is out walking the dog

police frame-up? no problem. take a fleck of dandruff, and sprinkle it on a murdered body. bam! you're the murderer

lazy policing here we come

Snee
02-27-2008, 12:48 AM
Sounds like you're in need of one of these. (http://zapatopi.net/afdb/)

hopeful1
02-27-2008, 12:56 AM
Sounds like you're in need of one of these. (http://zapatopi.net/afdb/)

no it's called the National Identity Register, if you live in Britain, and has been scheduled to launch in 2010

ID cards will be forced onto the population between 2010 and 2012.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_national_identity_card
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Information_to_be_contained_on_the_National_Identity_Register
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UK_National_DNA_Database

Something Else
02-27-2008, 01:52 AM

So

So they aren't getting my DNA unless I piss on one of em. :fist:

Mr JP Fugley
02-27-2008, 08:08 AM
So

So they aren't getting my DNA unless I piss on one of em. :fist:

I'm sure there are loads of instances where people get arrested for something which they don'e agree should be a crime. How does a National DNA database change that.

Officer - Sir you are under arrest for the crime of bigamy

Moran - But I don't think bigamy should be a crime.

Officer - Fair enough, sorry for the inconvenience.

It doesn't work that way now, I don't see how the Government holding details of your DNA would change that

Barbarossa
02-27-2008, 09:49 AM
It's all gone a bit Gattaca (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119177/) around here. :ermm:

In principle I agree with JP. In practice I tend to agree with Chalice.

Therefore I will just continue to take the piss out of allen.

You knob. :pinch:

Mr JP Fugley
02-27-2008, 10:02 AM
It's all gone a bit Gattaca (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119177/) around here. :ermm:

In principle I agree with JP. In practice I tend to agree with Chalice.

Therefore I will just continue to take the piss out of allen.

You knob. :pinch:

Your principals are cheap Mr so caled Barretta. Cheap like a fox.

manker
02-27-2008, 10:50 AM
I definitely wouldn't vote for a system that makes people submit their DNA to the government.

The government can't be trusted to keep my national insurance number to itself, so I most certainly wouldn't entrust it with the details of my DNA. Can you imagine how much a DNA profile of everyone in the UK would be worth to, say, a health insurance company.

I don't trust the government's security measures enough to give them my DNA.

I'd like it if my Son had his DNA on record, it would be another way for me to look after him. If he went missing, the police would be able to tell if he had been somewhere. I'd like to have a chip in his mobile phone (if he had one) so I could tell if he was going to places that I'd rather he didn't. Further to that, I'd put a GPS chip in his neck so I could track him with my satnav. If I could. When he's old enough, I'll log all of his msn chats and check his internets history. I want to look after him and keep him safe, make sure that the decisions he's making are the right ones according to my values.

I don't want the government doing that to me. DNA records being kept for people without criminal records is a step in that direction.

Barbarossa
02-27-2008, 10:55 AM
The health insurance company thing is a worry, but my primary concern is about being cloned :fear:

manker
02-27-2008, 11:02 AM
It would rawk if I was cloned.
Think how much more interesting this forum would be if there were more of me.

Also, there would be sleeper clones of my good self, positioned strategically around the world - awakened to their true purpose only when a tachion pulse was sent around the world. Awakened only when world domination could be achieved.

Me and my clone minions > *.

Alien5
02-27-2008, 11:16 AM
good idea... but, the world would smell funny :dabs:

manker
02-27-2008, 11:23 AM
good idea... but, the world would smell funny :dabs:
That'll be the least of your worries.
My clones will have a hardwired compulsion to eliminate the stupid, the long-term unemployed and blokes who are aged above 30 but still live with their mam.

Alien5
02-27-2008, 11:43 AM
damnit, that reminds me, ive got a job interview on Monday, they tell me i should get the job no problem. but im sure im gonna fuck it up again, im just not good at lying.

manker
02-27-2008, 11:52 AM
damnit, that reminds me, ive got a job interview on Monday, they tell me i should get the job no problem. but im sure im gonna fuck it up again, im just not good at lying.
Good for you, nice one :01:
So don't lie. Just don't tell any unnecessary truths. What's the job for?

chalice
02-27-2008, 11:53 AM
Allen's interview...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=U55SvF1P0aU

Good luck, Spud.

Alien5
02-27-2008, 11:57 AM
its just some security guard thing, they gave me a numeracy and literacy test a few weeks ago, i did really well on those, but i just worry about interviews so much that the only jobs i seem to get are through friends or shitty jobs nobody wants to do anyway.

^^Thats what i keep thinking, im gonna try too hard and fuck it up. I FUCKIN HATE INTRVIEWS!!!1111

Barbarossa
02-27-2008, 11:59 AM
its just some security guard thing, they gave me a numeracy and literacy test a few weeks ago, i did really well on those, but i just worry about interviews so much that the only jobs i seem to get are through friends or shitty jobs nobody wants to do anyway Benchez.

All you've got to do is demonstrate your cunt-punch, and the job's yours :01:

Why do security guards need to be literate anyway :unsure:

Alien5
02-27-2008, 12:04 PM
Most of the literacy questions were trick questions anyway, but i guess they don't want people who've never been to school or something.

It was just the first thing they offered me, its not what im really looking for but it sounds alright for now.

Barbarossa
02-27-2008, 12:06 PM
:lol:

Trick questions like "can you spell your name?"

Acceptable answers:

Y - O - U - R - N - A - M - E

Yes

Alien5
02-27-2008, 12:08 PM
http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/9928/20070902facepalm1np8.jpg