PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! PS3 Media Sharing Questions

Busyman™
02-27-2008, 03:51 AM
1. Can I plug a USB key in the PS3 and play Divx/Xvid files?

2. Exactly how can I share all my media from my PC to the PS3.

The PS3 is a upconvert DVD player and media player.

I could play all my DVD rips and TV downloads from my PC on it (I have over a TB of movies).

My PS3 is connected to my router via ethernet (ran a jack downstairs).

Help please.

This would be my ultimate setup.

Also will the PS3 upconvert shared media? For instance, will it upconvert American Gangster from my PC hard drive to HD?

maebach
02-28-2008, 09:18 PM
Divx will come soon. right now you have to convert to mp4
then you can play them. I convert to mp4 and then put a few dvd-rips that have been converted onto a dvd-r. then play them.

Mr JP Fugley
02-28-2008, 09:28 PM
PS3 already plays them. I just downloads stuffs from the internet burn it to CD or DVD and they play.

It upgraded the first time we connected it to the webs and updated the software (firmware)

tesco
02-29-2008, 12:21 AM
1. Can I plug a USB key in the PS3 and play Divx/Xvid files?

2. Exactly how can I share all my media from my PC to the PS3.

The PS3 is a upconvert DVD player and media player.

I could play all my DVD rips and TV downloads from my PC on it (I have over a TB of movies).

My PS3 is connected to my router via ethernet (ran a jack downstairs).

Help please.

This would be my ultimate setup.

Also will the PS3 upconvert shared media? For instance, will it upconvert American Gangster from my PC hard drive to HD?
Busy, don't you have a 360 also?
I know that the 360 can play streaming avi, wmv, mp3, etc. (no mkv, dunno about mp4, I can try if you want but i would need to find something).
The catch is you need to use a media center PC.
Luckily you only need to run media center once (to setup the 360 as a media extender and setup your library) then it automatically adds files to the library after that by detecting when you put files into the watch/library folder(s).

But i'm sure the ps3 has something similar, altho ii doubt it uses media center. It will probably need some sony software installed.

Edit: I just found you some information on google does ps3 upconvert avi. Apparantly ps3 only upconverts DVDS so whatever you want it to upconvert (mp4, avi, etc.) you will need to convert and burn as a dvd.