PDA

View Full Version : Buy A New Computer

abu_has_the_power
08-02-2003, 08:25 PM
Any good places or sites? I read a few sites from computer shopper:
www.cyberpowerinc.com
www.ibuypower.com

any others?
and r the two above good? do they do refunds? customer service?...

and tell me if it's cheaper to build my own, then to buy a full package

3rd gen noob
08-02-2003, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by abu_has_the_power@2 August 2003 - 21:25
and tell me if it's cheaper to build my own, then to buy a full package
generally it's cheaper to buy components and build a system up yourself or get someone to build it for you.

if you are in the u.s. try Newegg (http://www.newegg.com).

if you are in the u.k. try eBuyer (http://www.ebuyer.co.uk)

there is a good pinned topic in hardware world with recommended parts manufacturers

harrycary
08-02-2003, 09:54 PM
It truly is cheaper to buy a prebuilt system. These usually will include extras such as a monitor, printer, more software, etc. The drawback is they usually come with a licensed form of the O/S. This means you'll get a "restore" type of disc instead of the full version. Terrible for repairing problems with the O/S.
These days prebuilt systems can be had for cheap and the hardware is pretty decent(i.e. AGP graphics, CD/DVD burners, large & fast HDs, DDR memory, etc.)

Building your own can be cheap if you already <s>downloaded</s> have the O/S, other software , monitor and any other hardware.

I think most people here will recommend you build one. That way you get the exact hardware you want. Plus it&#39;s a great experience.

Good luck with it, share on...

3rd gen noob
08-02-2003, 09:57 PM
another proble with pre-built systems is that a lot of them do not allow for future upgrading

recently, a lot of manufacturers have been including better parts, but some are still poor in this area

ooo
08-02-2003, 10:04 PM
www.pricewatch.com

i ordered all my first parts from newegg...
this is my second time around and im ordering it from pricewatch but newegg is still relatively cheap

abu_has_the_power
08-03-2003, 12:53 AM
thanks. the 2 sites i put there allow u to order a computer with blank harddrives, so u can install ur own software. They prices are relatively cheap, for prebuilt systems. u might check them out too