PDA

View Full Version : Hoi Americans

Mr JP Fugley
02-28-2008, 11:54 PM
Just be American.

No need for a prefix, it's time to grow up and embrace your own identity.

Snee
02-28-2008, 11:57 PM
Hell yes.

Mr JP Fugley
02-29-2008, 12:07 AM
Hell yeah.

Fixed.

manker
02-29-2008, 12:10 AM
Maybe they're too young a country, maybe the tribalism is still too important.

I see what you're saying tho', JP. It's almost as if those that choose to describe themselves with a prefix are qualifying being American. As if being American is a bit embarrassing so to make their nationality somewhat more palatable, it needs to be tempered with a more agreeable nationality.

Unless it's Poland, then you're just a Polack. It seems that America collectively concurs that Poland is the only country less desirable to hail from than America itself :(

chalice
02-29-2008, 12:10 AM
Wooooooo!!!

Go Gerry, go Gerry!!!

Mr JP Fugley
02-29-2008, 12:16 AM
Never diss the Polish.

They fought like fuck against the nazis long before the Americans, Canadiains, French, Greeks, Welsh, or anyone else if truth be fucking told.

Fuck you America with your "Polack" jokes. Put up a proper fight against an oppressor then come back and talk about it.

j2k4
02-29-2008, 12:21 AM
I really can't blame you all for being confused; it's all down to the idiotic political correctness that demands we "remember we are all immigrants", much as we are required to "remember slavery", "remember how we jobbed the natives", etc., etc., etc.

I'm all for history and whatnot, but this ongoing guilt-trip is for assholes, and I don't buy it.

You have my permission to desist as well. :whistling

chalice
02-29-2008, 12:25 AM
I really can't blame you all for being confused; it's all down to the idiotic political correctness that demands we "remember we are all immigrants", much as we are required to "remember slavery", "remember how we jobbed the natives", etc., etc., etc.

I'm all for history and whatnot, but this ongoing guilt-trip is for assholes, and I don't buy it.

Typical mongrel. :whistling

manker
02-29-2008, 12:34 AM

Australia has a similar story. I've never heard an Aussie say that he is Korean-Australian, for example. Are you trying to say that Australia as a nation is less PC than America.

SenorBubbz
02-29-2008, 12:36 AM
Never diss the Polish.

They fought like fuck against the nazis long before the Americans, Canadiains, French, Greeks, Welsh, or anyone else if truth be fucking told.

Fuck you America with your "Polack" jokes. Put up a proper fight against an oppressor then come back and talk about it.

Calm down, shit. America is a great country and you're just fucking jealous that you don't live here.

Snee
02-29-2008, 12:38 AM

Australia has a similar story. I've never heard an Aussie say that he is Korean-Australian, for example. Are you trying to say that Australia as a nation is less PC than America.

Perish the thought. Strewth.

Sanka113
02-29-2008, 12:43 AM
Team America, F*ck Yeah!

j2k4
02-29-2008, 12:43 AM

Australia comes a cropper - the U.S. has no equal.

Not even Wales can challenge her. :whistling

chalice
02-29-2008, 12:46 AM
Yeah but Australia was full of criminals.

No wait...

manker
02-29-2008, 12:50 AM
Absolute rubbish anyway, the PC argument.

All the supposed demands that Americans remember that they're all immigrants is tempered with the constant flag waving. Americans are a very patriotic people, no mistake. Americans love being from America, they just want to stand out from the herd.

No, the reason is because there are so damn many Americans who collectively have little to shout about. No history to speak of and certainly no culture to call their own.
It appears that to an American, being just that is rather banal. Much better to spice it up with a little European flavour. Gets the juices flowing for stereotypical thinking.

Irish-American - uproarious, loikes the craic.
Italian-American - watch out, unpredictable.
Latin-American - musically gifted, lithe dancers.
American - ummm ... redneck?

That's the crux of it. Being American is thought of, by Americans, to be less exciting than being European.

manker
02-29-2008, 12:59 AM

Perish the thought. Strewth.:schnauz:

Australian politicians > all other politicians.

Apart from maybe those Taiwanese MPs who had an awesome fist-fight in their parliament last year.
I think it happens a fair bit over-there. Which is nice, shows they really care.

j2k4
02-29-2008, 01:00 AM
Absolute rubbish anyway, the PC argument.

All the supposed demands that Americans remember that they're all immigrants is tempered with the constant flag waving. Americans are a very patriotic people, no mistake. Americans love being from America, they just want to stand out from the herd.

No, the reason is because there are so damn many Americans who collectively have little to shout about. No history to speak of and certainly no culture to call their own.
It appears that to an American, being just that is rather banal. Much better to spice it up with a little European flavour. Gets the juices flowing for stereotypical thinking.

Irish-American - uproarious, loikes the craic.
Italian-American - watch out, unpredictable.
Latin-American - musically gifted, lithe dancers.
American - ummm ... redneck?

That's the crux of it. Being American is thought of, by Americans, to be less exciting than being European.

Only the Americans who don't measure up are so afflicted.

Actually, we have a surplus of the Welsh model, and can make you a terrific deal...would you be interested at all. :whistling

manker
02-29-2008, 01:09 AM
You have a surplus of the Welsh model and can do me a terrific deal ... .

Are you attempting humour again. I've warned you about that, you're not very good at it.
Instead, try to discern whether I'm winding you (Americans) up or not.

Truth is that my analysis of why the most powerful country on earth is fixated with prefixing its nationality with that of other nations may not be very diplomatic but it is pretty near the mark. If not smack on it.

j2k4
02-29-2008, 01:37 AM

Are you attempting humour again. I've warned you about that, you're not very good at it.

Truth is that my analysis of why the most powerful country on earth is fixated with prefixing its nationality with that of other nations may not be very diplomatic but it is pretty near the mark. If not smack on it.

I am practicing the "jaded American" model, with which you have neither experience nor cognition, though this is of utterly no import.

It is telling that you mention the bit about "the most powerful country on earth"; Mr. Ahmadinejad would disagree - don't know if you'd heard that.

Considering you couch your theory that "the...country (inclusive)...is fixated with prefixing its nationality with that of other nations" indicates your lack of perception, as well as the innate clumsiness of your proffer.

Near the mark?

Only as regards those to whom it actually applies, and whose numbers you overestimate owing (no doubt) to your indiscriminate and incomplete media consumption.

In other words, you are, albeit in the most narrow way, correctish.

manker
02-29-2008, 02:18 AM

I am practicing the "jaded American" model, with which you have neither experience nor cognition, though this is of utterly no import.

It is telling that you mention the bit about "the most powerful country on earth"; Mr. Ahmadinejad would disagree - don't know if you'd heard that.

Considering you couch your theory that "the...country (inclusive)...is fixated with prefixing its nationality with that of other nations" indicates your lack of perception, as well as the innate clumsiness of your proffer.

Near the mark?

Only as regards those to whom it actually applies, and whose numbers you overestimate owing (no doubt) to your indiscriminate and incomplete media consumption.

In other words, you are, albeit in the most narrow way, correctish.
Ah, now the tabloid style of my theory should have led you to my true feelings on the matter. Mentioning stereotyping as a bad thing and then stereotyping Americans with neither qualm nor qualification throughout every post.

Very clumsy, as you say.
I don't, as a rule, do clumsy unless there is a purpose. In this case the 'innate clumsiness' was the hook - and I don't mean this is a hook/rod scenario. I wanted someone to challenge me. Anyone, really.

You've acknowledged the substance with your last. Let me refine it, somewhat.

The US census gives figures of some 36 million US citizens claiming to be Irish-American. Wow. That's only one demographic - and the only one I need to look up. Twelve percent of the population!

I imagine that the rest of the groups who define themselves with a prefix would make-up a massive chunk of the populous. The majority? I don't know, probably, it doesn't matter because it's going to be a huge percentage.

I would suggest that these people who describe themselves as such do so for the reasons I've given. To stand out from the herd. To make themselves appear more interesting. Ergo, this massive body of people (the overwhelming majority proud to come from America, imo) believe that their country is less exciting/interesting than almost all others.

That's why the prevalence of the prefix.

clocker
02-29-2008, 02:39 AM
Can't say I know of anyone who considers him/herself a "hyphenated American".
Then again, I hardly know anyone.

DasFox
02-29-2008, 05:50 AM
I'm a Yank and its' sad how ole George has made us look in the eyes of the world.

I've lived in the ole US of A a long time, but now I'm a man with children, and I want them to experience something else besides the American way, and to see that there is more to life then America, and hopefully one day they will be dual citizens growing up the rest of their life in another country, not to say that there is anything wrong with America, but just to experience another way of life is all.

Children of the future in America are going to need to learn how to embrace a global economy, just like Europe is.

Something Else
02-29-2008, 03:39 PM
Merkins, lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbVnbahF3NQ

dinsdale
02-29-2008, 03:58 PM
Its true, anti Americanism is getting out of hand. Over here in the UK, people equate Trigger happy Neocons with all Americans. Some people i work with are so anti american it almost like some kind of racism.

j2k4
02-29-2008, 08:34 PM
This thread has gained an over-serious aspect.

It's manker's fault; he failed to properly attribute my tone.

Totally atypical...eerie, even.

Someone take his temperature.

BTW-

Clocker, you know me.

Little else matters. :whistling

chalice
02-29-2008, 08:35 PM
You know I love ya, Kev.

Even if you are Jaded-American.

j2k4
02-29-2008, 08:50 PM
You know I love ya, Kev.

Even if you are Jaded-American.

Yeah, I know.

I'm pretty lovable; everyone says so. :whistling

Mr JP Fugley
02-29-2008, 08:52 PM
You know I love ya, Kev.

Even if you are German-American.

Fixed

chalice
02-29-2008, 08:54 PM
:lol:

We should totally have a Hitler smilie.

j2k4
02-29-2008, 09:01 PM
You know I love ya, Kev.

Even if you are German-Dutch American.

Patched clumsily.

Fixed correctly

Mr JP Fugley
02-29-2008, 09:02 PM
Patched clumsily.

Fixed correctly

You've taken that too far.

Mr JP Fugley
02-29-2008, 09:03 PM
German-Dutch really is a weird mix btw.

j2k4
02-29-2008, 09:09 PM
Fixed correctly

You've taken that too far.

As was my wont.

German-Dutch really is a weird mix btw.

Strange things happened in 1634.

To manage it in Europe would've been difficult. :whistling

Mr JP Fugley
02-29-2008, 09:18 PM
See that's a long time to member things. By that measure I'm probably like a Scandinavian-French-Irish-Scot.

I consider myself Scottish btw.

No offence to Snee, Gwilliaiialliuamme or Chalice like.

j2k4
02-29-2008, 09:31 PM
See that's a long time to member things. By that measure I'm probably like a Scandinavian-French-Irish-Scot.

Oh, quite right - the point is, though, that while it is foolish to lead with such information, simple curiosity demands one possess the relevant facts.

The same sort of silliness leads gays to flaming-type behavioralisms.

Or something. :whistling

Mr JP Fugley
02-29-2008, 09:33 PM
Indeed knowledge of one's ancestors is no bad thing.

It's habitually stating it when describing oneself to other which is the curiously American thing.

j2k4
02-29-2008, 09:54 PM
Indeed knowledge of one's ancestors is no bad thing.

It's habitually stating it when describing oneself to other which is the curiously American thing.

Right, and right again.

This particular quirk is one of the bastard children of modern American liberalism, whose tangential aims include creating an impulse toward differential and classism.

Minorities can be (re-)created out of thin air. :whistling

Mr JP Fugley
02-29-2008, 09:59 PM
Does it go back to Ellis Island at all.

Certainly in the West of Scotland the ghettos were deliberately created. Miners from Ireland would be put in a village with either other Catholics or Protestants.

If your people were similarly divided, by country of origin one could see how the whole prefixed national identity would evolve.

And also the Irish and the Italians are particularly proud of their national identities, one could also see how a mere handful of generations would not remove that.

chalice
02-29-2008, 10:05 PM

Certainly in the West of Scotland the ghettos were deliberately created. Miners from Ireland would be put in a village with either other Catholics or Protestants.

If your people were similarly divided, by country of origin one could see how the whole prefixed national identity would evolve.

And also the Irish and the Italians are particularly proud of their national identities, one could also see how a mere handful of generations would not remove that.

I can see that too.

Yet, I've always kinda believed that the merkins were perpetually aware of their bastard status and somewhat proud of it. I hate to use the phrase 'melting-pot'.

I've always considered it respectable in that they recognize that they don't have an indivisible culture, like.

Mr JP Fugley
02-29-2008, 10:19 PM
The particliar village where I was born and raised was a Catholic, miner's village called Croy. It was built as such. This was where my Mother had been raised, my Grandmother (and indeed all of my Grand-Parents) having come over from Ireland. All of the male side of my Mother's family were coal miners and were placed in houses there.

My Father was from a village called Haggs from an entirely similar tradition. However his own Father was a clay miner. He himself took a trade and became a Joiner.

He moved to my Mother's village when they were married, which is probly why I have binocular vision and am not a cyclops like a lot of the people I knew.

We never considered the whole Irish Catholic tradition because that's what everyone was. In fact when the new Church was built my Mother and Father were the first couple married there.

j2k4
02-29-2008, 10:21 PM

Congratulations; you've just rationalized your nit-pick. :D

Actually, my take is picking nits as well:

For the most part, while the entire Ellis Island episode and the attendant (other-than-black) racism is a lesson in overcoming differences.

The irony was that when the Afro-American reference became de rigueur, blacks were greeted with responses intended to communicate the easy-to-point-out aspect of it's redundance (as in, "yes, we can see that you are from Africa"), which was at once cruel and easy to shrug off.

Unfortunate, yet true, and this current phenomenon springs from a misguided urge to compensate and accomodate - the fact it is perpetuated by liberalism is kind of a dirty secret.

Proper Bo
02-29-2008, 10:21 PM
I bet you can remember when this was all fields:unsure:
edit: @jp

j2k4
02-29-2008, 10:23 PM

Yup. :)

Mr JP Fugley
02-29-2008, 10:26 PM

:glag::earl::absolutely:

The house I was brought up in was right beside the country and I could walk out the front door and walk into fields and stuff. There's loads of houses there now and I bemoan the fact.

True Story.

Mr JP Fugley
02-29-2008, 10:27 PM

Congratulations; you've just rationalized your nit-pick. :D

Actually, my take is picking nits as well:

For the most part, while the entire Ellis Island episode and the attendant (other-than-black) racism is a lesson in overcoming differences.

The irony was that when the Afro-American reference became de rigueur, blacks were greeted with responses intended to communicate the easy-to-point-out aspect of it's redundance (as in, "yes, we can see that you are from Africa"), which was at once cruel and easy to shrug off.

Unfortunate, yet true, and this current phenomenon springs from a misguided urge to compensate and accomodate - the fact it is perpetuated by liberalism is kind of a dirty secret.

I'm taking that as a yes.

Proper Bo
02-29-2008, 10:28 PM
i didn't believe these "field" things existed til the wench made me walk the dog in one.
there was a bull there too. true story.

Mr JP Fugley
02-29-2008, 10:32 PM
i didn't believe these "field" things existed til the wench made me walk the dog in one.

I gambolled and frollicked thro' the fields for most of my early childhood. We made our own fun in those days but.

Then it was jumpers for goalposts, in the best traditions.

Proper Bo
02-29-2008, 10:33 PM

I gambolled and frollicked thro' the fields for most of my early childhood. We made our own fun in those days but.

Then it was jumpers for goalposts, in the best traditions.

Nowt wrong with bin bags for goalposts:snooty:

Proper Bo
02-29-2008, 10:33 PM
Half a brick as a ball too.

manker
02-29-2008, 10:34 PM
It's still all fields around here, like.

I think I'm a relic from JP's passed.

j2k4
02-29-2008, 11:59 PM
I think I'm a relic from JP's passed.

A good bet, old as he is. :whistling

Snee
03-01-2008, 12:09 AM

'sok, us belgian-merkin-swedes are used to persecution, like :emo:

Mr JP Fugley
03-01-2008, 01:18 AM

'sok, us belgian-merkin-swedes are used to persecution, like :emo:

Yeah, those Dutch-German-Canadiains can be H4r5h to the max.