View Full Version : RIAA Keeps Settlement Money, Artists May Sue

Hairbautt
03-01-2008, 04:19 AM
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/picture.php?albumid=25&pictureid=214"Despite collecting an estimated several hundred million dollars in P2P related settlements from the likes of Napster, KaZaA and Bolt, prominent artists’ managers are complaining that so far, they haven’t received any compensation from the labels. According to a lawyer, some are considering legal action."

"When EMI, Universal Music and Warner music reached settlement agreements with the likes of Napster, KaZaA and Bolt, they collected hundreds of millions of dollars in compensation - money that was supposed to go to artists whose rights had been allegedly infringed upon when the networks were operating with unlicensed music.

Now, according to an article, the managers of some major artists are getting very impatient, as it appears the very people who were supposed to be compensated - the artists - haven’t received anything from the massive settlements. They say the cash - estimated to be as much as $400m - hasn’t filtered through to their clients and understandably they’re getting very impatient."

:source: Source: Full Article @ TorrentFreak (http://torrentfreak.com/riaa-keeps-settlement-money-080228/)

Aaxel21
03-01-2008, 04:56 AM
Haha. Good luck. I bet they will never see that money. And if they do it will only be the more popular artist not the lesser known.

peat moss
03-01-2008, 06:38 AM
Big surprise there as it was always a money grab , have to pay the lawyers you know .

TheFoX
03-01-2008, 09:51 PM
Well, if they don't compensate the artists, then they can no longer use the artists as an excuse to extort the money in the first place. It's a bit like collecting for famine victims, then soaking up all the money in administration charges. A rip off.

Forged
03-02-2008, 11:25 PM
If they don't pay the artist the artist will have no reason to stay. It would definitely be in the riaa's best interest to pay out the money.

SuperGeek
03-03-2008, 06:08 AM
Screw the RIAA. I hope the artists win.

sleepyy
03-04-2008, 01:49 AM
Legitimate Robbery nothing more as always fueled by greed by exploiting the legal system next mission obtain another zero just human nature i suppose for some.