PDA

View Full Version : secure Givaways !!

saqib
03-03-2008, 09:00 AM
i was wondering that is it secure to giveaway invites and accounts ( mainly invites ) ??
i mean since we have got many site representatives here with us , and i know for the fact that many of us use the same user name on other torrent sites as on FST . so will they mind to see their invites being just " giveaway " by users here , or they just take action when they find the person that we invites is a bad user or cheater ?
since " Giveaway " thing is the shinning star that has brought on the forehead of FST by its valued and dedicated members , and i really want to b a part of that tradition . :)

1000possibleclaws
03-03-2008, 09:16 AM
well, you need to check your trackers rules first. most allow giveaways, although not all allow public giveaways

saqib
03-03-2008, 09:30 AM
i very much doubt that more that 80% of valued trackers dont allow that :(

correct me here if im wrong

SCR
03-03-2008, 09:31 AM
The best way to give invites is through PM that way you have no problems with the staff . Basically if you see a guy requesting for an invite and you feel he desirves to be invited there ... well if u have the invite PM him and give it to him but not until you check his past here, profile links to other trackers, speed test or whatever makes you belive he is a good user...

dogie
03-03-2008, 09:38 AM
true scr :>
invite people you trust because on most of the trackers ure responsible for your invitees :P
and plz respect rules of the trackers, if u dont agree with them dont join :>

Sanka113
03-03-2008, 09:51 AM
It's never a good idea to have the same FST name as a tracker your on. Your just asking for trouble from hackers or from admins. Now most trackers don't allow giveaways blah, blah, blah but thats just a general rule that is on most every faq out there. If you cared about following every rule in the book, rules you wouldn't be into torrenting in the first place.

If you do want to do a giveaways:

1. Don't have the same name here and on the tracker your doing a giveaway for.

2. Make sure the invitee uses a different name then fst when they register at the tracker you just signed up for.

3. Don't announce the winners.

4. If you're really spooked find someone to do the giveaway for you.

sokrates
03-03-2008, 10:30 AM
why am i asking for trouble from hackers using the same nick as somewhere else?

Artemis
03-03-2008, 10:46 AM
why am i asking for trouble from hackers using the same nick as somewhere else?

As we saw last year with the db hacks on multiple trackers, followed by the public listing of usernames and unhashed passwords, alot of people used the same nicks and relatively weak passwords on multiple trackers, alot of a/cs were hacked, there was even an fst member who hacked member a/cs then gave them away to other people here in the invites section.
Also there are dictionary attacks frequently here (my own a/c has been forced and others I know have had it happen or attempted ), so if hackers can bruteforce your username/password here and it is the same or similar to that on the trackers then they can hack your a/c.

sokrates
03-03-2008, 11:06 AM
well as i use keepass to generate my pws thats no issue to me ;)
what do i do if an acc gets hijacked here btw?

fOrUmAs
03-03-2008, 11:33 AM
well, you need to check your trackers rules first. most allow giveaways, although not all allow public giveaways

most trackers dont allowe GA in public

seppypom
03-03-2008, 12:44 PM
Give it a shot and let us know how that works out for you.

monk3y
03-03-2008, 01:13 PM
it's not realistic m8

mrnobody
03-03-2008, 01:30 PM
i was wondering that is it secure to giveaway invites and accounts ( mainly invites ) ??

Depends on who wins ur giveaway :P

Some people (unlike myself) are just good at picking the right person for their giveaway and never have had got in trouble for inviting a stranger. I for the one am pretty bad with giveaway (i realized it now). I used to invite people (that i though were deserving) through pm (for safty reasons) but apparently some of 'em were bad apples. One of 'em did something wrong and i haven't had invite in that sit since than, another one got me a 4 week warning, and another one was caught cheating with donation (staff were nice enough to spare me on that one). btw, i am talking about three different invitee of mine at three different sites...not to mention that two of those sites are my favorite.

I still invite people but only those who have been here long enough to be counted on or those i know through IRC, or those who use same nick in all tracker (easier to know about 'em).

As for account giveaway, i think it's unsafe than invite giveaway. First, someone else is getting axx to site when he is not supposed to. Secondly, he is getting axx to site with someone else's identify. Last but not least, he might misuses the features that come along with the accounts (high buffer, addition feature because of high userclass etc).

i know for the fact that many of us use the same user name on other torrent sites as on FST .

i think most here use different nick

so will they mind to see their invites being just " giveaway " by users here , or they just take action when they find the person that we invites is a bad user or cheater ?

first, you need to confirm whether the site allows public giveaway or not. If they don't mind public giveaway, well, u can still invite people quietly through pm. However, in either case, tracker might hold u responsible for inviting a bad user. Usually, they take your invites away and/or give u an warning and in case ur invites wern't taken off and u still invite another bad guy, changes are they will kick u out. But then again, different tracker, different rules...check FAQ/Rules section.

saqib
03-03-2008, 01:36 PM
it is quite an eye opening conversation here , and i guess there is no possibility that my display name " maanu " can b changed ?

SCR
03-03-2008, 01:46 PM
it is quite an eye opening conversation here , and i guess there is no possibility that my display name " maanu " can b changed ?

Yes you can : "How do I change my username?
A member does not have the ability to change their username on their own, but it can be changed if they politely ask a Manager (RealitY or rossco). Before PMing them, please use the member search function to make sure that the name you want is not already in use.
"
Go here : http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/boardrules/ and in the search field put : username and see what it shows you.

grimms
03-03-2008, 01:46 PM
If you don't want to worry. Remember the golden rule. Invite those you can trust. Don't do it in public, even if you trust them. If you can't commit to that, then kansas may say bye, bye.

monk3y
03-03-2008, 02:39 PM
If you don't want to worry. Remember the golden rule. Invite those you can trust. Don't do it in public, even if you trust them. If you can't commit to that, then kansas may say bye, bye.

Yea that's the basic ground rule for invites, only invite people you trust and know can handle a 1:1 ratio, not cheat, not trade and be active.

If not do not invite people at all cause you will only get hurt from this people's actions :01:

saqib
03-03-2008, 04:23 PM
hmm it means i should hold on , and b around here for a while coz m new here , and dont know much about members here .. but i hope so in near future i ll b giving some invites from level , 3 , 4 , and may b 5...:)

chiefosceola
03-03-2008, 11:53 PM
Personally I see nothing wrong with using same nick here as on your trackers especially if you use different passwords elsewhere. The only reason I see to have different nicks is if you have something to hide, and giving away invites/accounts and trading is something to hide from site staff, but if you are here merely for the info and to catch up on a few things I don't see an issue.

Annoyed
03-04-2008, 01:04 AM
I also want to do a giveaway(since I've had many pm's so far asking for invites), but I'm afraid of my accounts getting disabled. Some sites say in their faq to not give away invites in a public forum. And I've already seen three tracker admins here, so I don't know who else is lurking around.

Plus giveaways are iffy anyways. You don't know who you are inviting. They could be a cheater, or they could be someone that has already been banned from that tracker. Just because the person gives you a couple positive screen shots does not mean you won't be getting screwed by that person.

Spooky
03-04-2008, 01:41 AM
Personally I see nothing wrong with using same nick here as on your trackers especially if you use different passwords elsewhere. The only reason I see to have different nicks is if you have something to hide, and giving away invites/accounts and trading is something to hide from site staff, but if you are here merely for the info and to catch up on a few things I don't see an issue.

Very true. I use the same nick on all sites and have for over 7 years.

I am TDC Admin. I don't mind if you wish to giveaway invites to users here. Some of our highest level users give away invites here. But they also have very strict rules because they do know the action of the invitee reflects onto them. So, please try and screen the users the best you can. You wouldn't want me letting rift raft into your homes would you? No, so please don't let them into mine. If you are unsure about your giveaway and it concerns TDC please feel free to ask me. Better safe than sorry.

TDC Giefaway #2
Ok, got 10 more invites for TDC and im willing to give them away
this giveaway was also allowed from TDC sysop

Requirements: ALL ARE _MUST_

1. NO PM - you will be disqualified automatically if you pm

2. 3 ratio proofs with todays date - i will pm you and you will HAVE to send me same screenshots without anything covered. Sry for this, but as TDC sysop said, if you get in trouble, i get in trouble, and i have to be sure

3. Min 50 posts and 15 rep points

4. A reason WHY you want this invite, and a promise that u will USE the account

5. NO TRADERS - i will browse through your posting history

Giving me a rep points would be nice http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/../../images/smilies/whistling.gif i got none from last giveaway http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/../../images/smilies/mellow.gif

If you dont meet the requirements, dont bother asking kthx

cheers

That is how you do it!

Spooky
TDC-Admin

grimms
03-04-2008, 07:42 AM
hmm it means i should hold on , and b around here for a while coz m new here , and dont know much about members here .. but i hope so in near future i ll b giving some invites from level , 3 , 4 , and may b 5...:)
My best advice to you is to hold off on your public giveaway's (Actually I wouldn't engage in public giveaway's at all). Especially if you use the same nick here that you use on other BT sites. Also educate yourself regarding the BT World. Read tracker reviews, just lurk in different forums to gain valuable info regarding various other trackers, always read faq and rules in every tracker your a member of.

Always invite those you trust. Do it discreetly as well. Not out in the open in case you invite a bad apple or two. We all have once or twice. If you haven't? Then consider yourself lucky or fucking extremely wise.:yup: Also never do account giveaway's if you want invites to come easy to you over time. If you do do account giveaway's. Then expect a very hard tough road ahead. It's like a drug dealer, you love the fast life now, get the women, money, clothes, whatever, but when you get caught you'll be preaching positivity and pointing fingers(Ain't so fun under the sun now is it).:noes:

singing_sol
03-04-2008, 09:40 AM
its upto u that u give them away but at some point it may lead to acc deletion if ur not careful