PDA

View Full Version : Brett Favre announces retirement

Skiz
03-04-2008, 10:04 PM
'Mentally tired' Favre tells Packers his playing career is over

Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre has decided to retire.

"I know I can still play, but it's like I told my wife, I'm just tired mentally. I'm just tired," Favre, a 17-year veteran and three-time NFL MVP, told ESPN's Chris Mortensen in a voice mail message.

"If I felt like coming back -- and Deanna [his wife] and I talked about this -- the only way for me to be successful would be to win a Super Bowl. To go to the Super Bowl and lose, would almost be worse than anything else. Anything less than a Super Bowl win would be unsuccessful," Favre said in the message.

"I know it shouldn't feel unsuccessful, but the only way to come back and make that be the right decision would be to come back and win a Super Bowl. And honestly, the odds of that, they're tough. Those are big shoes for me to fill, and I guess it was a challenge I wasn't up for. "

Source :source:: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3276034&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

---------------------
It's as good a time as any I think; he had a great year last year.

The man is a legend though, and I'll no doubt miss watching him on Sundays.He was always one of my favorites... :(

-Most AP NFL MVP awards: 3 (1995, 1996, 1997)[65]
-Most consecutive starts by a quarterback (NFL): 253[1] (275 including playoffs)
-Most wins by a starting quarterback (NFL) regular season career: 160[1] (Regular season record: 160-93)
-Most career passing touchdowns: 442 [66][67]
-Most career passing yards: 61,655[66]
-Most career pass completions: 5,377[68][1]
-Most career pass attempts: 8,758[1][4][69]
-Most career interceptions thrown: 288 [66][70]
-Most career games with at least three touchdowns: 63 [46]

Favre holds the record for consecutive starts by a quarterback with 253. His streak ranks behind only Jim Marshall, who started 270 straight games.[1]

In the playoffs, Favre stands behind only Joe Montana in pass completions, passing touchdowns, passing yards and passing attempts.

In addition, Favre owns a number of team records, having printed his name into almost every passing category in the annals of Green Bay Packers history, most recently setting the team record for consecutive completions with 20 on November 22, 2007, against the Detroit Lions. [71] With 38 "come-from-behind" 4th quarter wins & 2 more overtime victories, Brett Favre is the Green Bay Packers record holder and second only to John Elway's 47 4th quarter or OT "come-back wins", in NFL history.

DefX
03-04-2008, 10:33 PM
Sad but we all knew it was coming. Only question was whether it was this season or next. He's still way better than majority of the quarterbacks in this league which makes this even more painful for Packers fan, I presume.

What I'll miss most about him of course is his strong throwing arm. It was a sight to see how fast he slings that ball to the hands of the receiver. His durability didn't hurt either.

JunkBarMan
03-04-2008, 11:24 PM
i know he has just about every QB record out there, but to be honest, I would take Montana, Brady, or Unitas over Favre anyday.

Don't get me wrong, he is a great QB, just more of a top 5 guy IMHO. And, that ain't bad.

RPerry
03-05-2008, 01:16 AM
i know he has just about every QB record out there, but to be honest, I would take Montana, Brady, or Unitas over Favre anyday.

Don't get me wrong, he is a great QB, just more of a top 5 guy IMHO. And, that ain't bad.

Brady is still relatively young and has a lot more career to show me what he's made of. Yes, he has made quite an impact in such a short time, but I would like to see how he measures up 10 yrs from now.

JunkBarMan
03-05-2008, 02:01 AM

Brady is still relatively young and has a lot more career to show me what he's made of. Yes, he has made quite an impact in such a short time, but I would like to see how he measures up 10 yrs from now.

Wow, 3 Super Bowls isn't enough???

I think our memories may be clouded by a recent game.

I would be bold enough to say that if he continues to go at the pace he is currently, then he'll go down as the best QB ever.

Busyman™
03-05-2008, 04:46 AM

Wow, 3 Super Bowls isn't enough???

I think our memories may be clouded by a recent game.

I would be bold enough to say that if he continues to go at the pace he is currently, then he'll go down as the best QB ever.

That's what I said before.

If he had won this SB, I would've been the best ever.

He would be in the company of Montana and Bradshaw but with better stats and records. He also would have undefeated associated with him.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda

Now Favre is definitely top 5. I don't put him over Brady though. He's simply not better than Brady. He does have 1 SB and numerous longevity/durability records though and I doubt Brady will get those....mainly due to Brady having achieved so much in so little time.

Favre gets in ,first shot, to the HOF. If he waits it's a travesty.

Many I have talked to have Montana as best of all time followed by Unitas then Brady (even over Bradshaw).

There is consensus though that Favre is not best of all time. Keep in mind too that Favre can stil change his mind.

I do hate that the last play of his career was an interception.

If he wins, let's say 2 more SB, he needn't play anymore. He'll have the most SBs (for a QB) in NFL history.

But yeah that's the scary thing. Brady has already had 4 SB appearances and 3 rings. He's almost a juggernaut that you have to keep down.

He's always the favorite.

j2k4
03-05-2008, 08:19 PM
Something I wasn't aware of:

The Packers were the winningest team in the NFL for the duration of Favre's career.

Something else that never gets mentioned:

Bart Starr lost his very first playoff game with the Packers, then never lost another one.

He was MVP of the first two Super Bowls, which victories also finished the second and third straight NFL (pre-merger) championship seasons of '65, '66 and '67.

The Packers, with Starr, won 5 championships during the sixties, and there is no doubt whatsoever that, had the Super Bowl been played in any other of those years, Starr and the Packers would have six Lombardi trophies.

In anticipation of Busyman's imminent attempt at refutation of my supposition, I herewith add the prepositional "if" he requires. :whistling

dedro
03-05-2008, 09:20 PM
i like brett but time to go

Skiz
03-06-2008, 03:25 AM

How can you say that after the year he just had? :blink:

saqib
03-06-2008, 11:34 AM
damn :( it pissed my off

IdolEyes787
03-06-2008, 09:41 PM
No big deal.He was no Lance Armstrong.

DefX
03-06-2008, 11:05 PM

You're right. Far as I know, Brett never took performance enhancing drugs.

grimms
03-06-2008, 11:50 PM
It sucks to see him go. I wish it was Green Bay Vs New England. I really wanted to see the Brady Vs Favre game. I guess that won't happen now. Farve had an excellent career. Broke just about every record a QB could break known to man.

IdolEyes787
03-07-2008, 12:56 AM

You're right. Far as I know, Brett never took performance enhancing drugs.

True,no football player would ever do that.

j2k4
03-07-2008, 01:36 AM

Lance Armstrong was no Brett Favre.

Interestingly, neither of them was a Pele.

Pele, on the other hand, was no Wilt Chamberlain, who (in his turn) was no Billie Jean King. :whistling

dedro
03-07-2008, 07:26 AM

How can you say that after the year he just had? :blink:
sorry skizo
i think he did the right thing. he looks like he is 50 years old. not to take away from what he has done, but i think it should have been done for him last year.

clocker
03-07-2008, 02:14 PM
Ignoring the stats- minutiae more suitable for baseball anyway, IMO- what Favre brought to the game was simply gee-whiz exuberance.

He always looked like he thought it was fuckin cool to suit up and get to play a game on Sunday for a living...Favre was the avatar of all us regular slobs who sat on the couch and watched.

He will be missed.

j2k4
03-07-2008, 08:02 PM
IMO- what Favre brought to the game was simply gee-whiz exuberance.

He always looked like he thought it was fuckin cool to suit up and get to play a game on Sunday for a living...Favre was the avatar of all us regular slobs who sat on the couch and watched.

And at all of that, he was indisputably the best of all-time.

Couldn't have said it better myself, sir. :whistling

clocker
03-08-2008, 12:55 AM
OK...somethings different here...

Who moved all the chairs and tables?
I bumped into Sportsworld and the Drawing Room on my way to HW world.

Gonna have to leave the hall light on till I relearn the layout.

abcjim
03-08-2008, 02:18 AM
he is just being a baby cuz moss didnt sign with green bay. he will come back by fall

natedogg
03-08-2008, 06:03 AM
He is not going anywhere, he is coming back next season

deuce6000
03-08-2008, 04:16 PM
He has great stats all around but in my opinion he is not in the top tier of quarterbacks all time.I will miss watching him play though he was definitely fun to watch.Could throw 5 td's and 500 yards or 5 picks and 150 yards on any given sunday.

Skiz
03-08-2008, 04:38 PM
He is not going anywhere, he is coming back next season

Keep dreamin'. :noes:

Busyman™
03-10-2008, 03:44 AM
Something I wasn't aware of:

The Packers were the winningest team in the NFL for the duration of Favre's career.

Something else that never gets mentioned:

Bart Starr lost his very first playoff game with the Packers, then never lost another one.

He was MVP of the first two Super Bowls, which victories also finished the second and third straight NFL (pre-merger) championship seasons of '65, '66 and '67.

The Packers, with Starr, won 5 championships during the sixties, and there is no doubt whatsoever that, had the Super Bowl been played in any other of those years, Starr and the Packers would have six Lombardi trophies.

In anticipation of Busyman's imminent attempt at refutation of my supposition, I herewith add the prepositional "if" he requires. :whistling

Ehhh? I can't refute facts.:unsure::idunno:

Anything else is your opinion. It's hard to even consider equating Bart Starr to any QB of the Super Bowl era.

Uhhh just click the appropriate link.:unsure:

Bumping not required.

Best of all time at looking like he thought it was fuckin cool to suit up and getting to play a game on Sunday for a living?

Okayyyy someone's been drinking the magic water.

clocker
03-10-2008, 10:59 PM
Best of all time at looking like he thought it was fuckin cool to suit up and getting to play a game on Sunday for a living?

Is that a problem?
I've always thought that sports are best appreciated whilst addled.

j2k4
03-12-2008, 12:32 AM
Ehhh? I can't refute facts.:unsure::idunno:

Anything else is your opinion. It's hard to even consider equating Bart Starr to any QB of the Super Bowl era.

Uhhh just click the appropriate link.:unsure:

Bumping not required.

Apart from Clocker's being a bit of a Favre fan, I can't suss your exception to his post.

He has no rooting interest in the Packers, and so obviously appreciates Favre as a fan.

While you may be a football fan, you don't share his view or appreciation of Favre.

Who do you nominate for the "fan's player" award?

Throw out a name, make your case, and let us have at him.

We'll wait. :whistling

M3dium
04-19-2008, 02:14 AM
About time he retires. He must be getting sick of the Bears defense destroying him.

j2k4
04-19-2008, 10:57 AM
About time he retires. He must be getting sick of the Bears defense destroying him.

:blink: