PDA

View Full Version : Lunchtime racism

Skweeky
03-05-2008, 06:36 PM
So there I am sitting in the canteen, eating my soup, reading a newsaper when all of a sudden my 3 colleagues decide to go a rant about how those damn illegal immigrants should all be sent back to their own countries straight away and how the ones that are legal but aren't working and their families should be kicked out as well.

They then went on to say that they should definitely not be allowed to wear any cultural headgear (or, as it was stated 'those rags around their heids'), shouldn't get council houses until all the Brits were getting free houses first and how they should be forced to pay for health care instead of getting it free.

Of course, then they went on to say that myself and the guy who runs the Pakinstani shop around the corner are ok.

When the conversation was brought up by my pal this afternoon, our manager failed to see what the problem was, as obviously the remarks weren't aimed at me. They were obviously talking about people with a different skintone with no money and no complete grasp of the English language.

Please tell me, when did it become appropriate to spew disgusting racist opinions in the work place?

:angry:

Something Else
03-05-2008, 06:46 PM
I don't mind at all that your an illegal immigrant. :wub:

In fact I quite like it. :naughty:

CrabGirl
03-05-2008, 07:05 PM
They do it because no one objects and think it's socially acceptable amongst their peers. I used to work in a larger call centre and I used to hear so much shit about "fucking paki's not being able to speak English" "refugees should be kicked out" and general displeasure about black people. When I complained thinking the company, who would issue frequent inclusion public statements, did next to nothing.

Thinking about it I should have escalated it to over my bosses heads and taken it to the union but I didn't. I just brought in pictures of my brown nephew and niece, and let it be known that my mother was a refugee to this country. This stopped it in my immediate vicinity but did little to change the general attitude of people. One of the major culprits later got a job on the front desk at the Job Centre - fucking bigoted witch she was.

Stand up and say something to your bosses, and if they don't listen, tell their bosses, and if you have no joy there take it further. Don't tolerate it and let people know you won't tolerate it.

Something Else
03-05-2008, 07:08 PM
There's never any racism at my workplace.
Because i'm the only one there. :emo:

They sound like a bunch of bell-ends skweeky.

Biggles
03-05-2008, 08:31 PM
Should have joined in and said "Yeah I heard that a lot of them are Catholic Muslims too...

...well it is the West of Scotland :pinch:

Mr JP Fugley
03-05-2008, 09:13 PM
I just say something like "Stop making racist comments, no I amn't joking, stop it now."

dedro
03-05-2008, 09:17 PM
i would have took off all my close and started running around with my lunchbox screaming "all immigrants in here" then start humping my bosses leg just to make sure he new i just went "coo-coo"

Biggles
03-05-2008, 09:19 PM
i would have took off all my close and started running around with my lunchbox screaming "all immigrants in here" then start humping my bosses leg just to make sure he new i just went "coo-coo"

As a rule, that is not a generally recognised procedure here.

Mr JP Fugley
03-05-2008, 09:27 PM

As a rule, that is not a generally recognised procedure here.

homophobe.

dedro
03-05-2008, 09:29 PM
ok biggles i respect what your saying but guys say some harsh things in here. just being a goofball....
i would have just went nuts on the guys. i have mixed family so i need to protect them even when they are not around. you put up with what you put up with and i would not

Mr JP Fugley
03-05-2008, 09:31 PM
ok biggles i respect what your saying but guys say some harsh things in here. just being a goofball....
i would have just went nuts on the guys. i have mixed family so i need to protect them even when they are not around. you put up with what you put up with and i would not

Biggles doesn't really mean you are a big Gaylord, it's just the way he says things sometimes. There's no real harm intended.

100%
03-05-2008, 09:35 PM
In this country there is something worse than racism.
It is predefined judgment up on all that is different.
Anything that falls out of the ordinary is regarded as wrong, and should not be tolerated. It is either good or bad. No inbetween.
If you are from Pakistan then than is ok, because you are obviously a foreigner, and that is hence put in that "foreigner" box.
If you are unidentifiable, they loose it.

Mr JP Fugley
03-05-2008, 09:39 PM
In this country there is something worse than racism.
It is predefined judgment up on all that is different.
Anything that falls out of the ordinary is regarded as wrong, and should not be tolerated. It is either good or bad. No inbetween.
If you are from Pakistan then than is ok, because you are obviously a foreigner, and that is hence put in that "foreigner" box.
If you are unidentifiable, they loose it.

Which Country are you talking about.

100%
03-05-2008, 09:50 PM
jantelov (http://www.bearcy.com/janteloven.html) country

Janteloven
The Law of Jante

1. Du skal ikke tro, du er noget.
You shall not believe that you are somebody.
Du skal ikke tro at du er noe.

2. Du skal ikke tro, at du er lige så meget som os.
You shall not believe that you are as worthy as us.
Du skal ikke tro at du er like mye verd som oss.

3. Du skal ikke tro, at du er klogere end os.
You shall not believe that you are any wiser than us.
Du skal ikke tro at du er klokere enn oss.

4. Du skal ikke bilde dig ind, at du er bedre end os.
You shall not imagine that you are any better than us.
Du skal ikke innbille deg at du er bedre enn oss.

5. Du skal ikke tro, at du ved mere end os.
You shall not believe that you know anything more than us.
Du skal ikke tro at du vet mer enn oss.

6. Du skal ikke tro, at du er mere end os.
You shall not believe that you are more than us.
Du skal ikke tro at du er mer enn oss.

7. Du skal ikke tro, at du duer til noget.
You shall not believe that you are good at anything.
Du skal ikke tro at du duger til noe.

8. Du skal ikke le ad os.
You shall not laugh at us.
Du skal ikke le av oss.

9. Du skal ikke tro, at nogen bryder sig om dig!
You shall not believe that anyone cares about you!
Du skal ikke tro at noen bryr seg om deg!

10. Du skal ikke tro, at du kan lære os noget!
You shall not believe that you can teach us anything!
Du skal ikke tro at du kan lære oss noe!

Aksel SANDEMOSE 1899—1965 (famous Danish writer)

:wacko:

Biggles
03-05-2008, 09:52 PM
This thread had slipped away from me faster than most :unsure:

Mr JP Fugley
03-05-2008, 09:55 PM
nazi

Biggles
03-05-2008, 10:00 PM
nazi

Sexyist

Mr JP Fugley
03-05-2008, 10:02 PM
nazi

Sexyist

Why thank you :blushing:

Busyman™
03-05-2008, 10:08 PM
So there I am sitting in the canteen, eating my soup, reading a newsaper when all of a sudden my 3 colleagues decide to go a rant about how those damn illegal immigrants should all be sent back to their own countries straight away and how the ones that are legal but aren't working and their families should be kicked out as well.

They then went on to say that they should definitely not be allowed to wear any cultural headgear (or, as it was stated 'those rags around their heids'), shouldn't get council houses until all the Brits were getting free houses first and how they should be forced to pay for health care instead of getting it free.

Of course, then they went on to say that myself and the guy who runs the Pakinstani shop around the corner are ok.

When the conversation was brought up by my pal this afternoon, our manager failed to see what the problem was, as obviously the remarks weren't aimed at me. They were obviously talking about people with a different skintone with no money and no complete grasp of the English language.

Please tell me, when did it become appropriate to spew disgusting racist opinions in the work place?

That is pretty fucked up. Over these parts, that person would find themselves fired.

I do agree with one thing though.

Illegal immigrants should GTFO. Some have got it through their head that even saying that is wrong but all I have to say is look at the word before immigrant.

SAM
03-05-2008, 11:08 PM
I have to agree that illegal immigrants should be deported but how?
it isn't that easy to locate and deport all those people not to mention they lived in britain for years and some had political issues.
I guess it will be hard to do it.but you can try to lessen the numbers by readjusting their status or helping them in getting better jobs.

Mr JP Fugley
03-05-2008, 11:12 PM
it isn't that easy to locate and deport all those people not to mention they lived in britain for years and some had political issues.

I don't think busy gives a fuck about illegal immigrants in Britain. Other than as a conceptual issue.

Squeamous
03-06-2008, 12:06 AM

Did you think to discuss it with them and express your opinion in a calm and rational manner? Or did you just take it silently and then complain to your boss?

Skweeky
03-06-2008, 08:12 AM

Did you think to discuss it with them and express your opinion in a calm and rational manner? Or did you just take it silently and then complain to your boss?

No, I didn't think to discuss it with them. It was a fucking rant, not a conversation. I'm not attempting to have a rational calm conversation with someone who is pretty much shouting.
And I didn't complain to my boss, someone else brought it up. Get your facts straight.

Squeamous
03-06-2008, 11:19 AM
Just wondering. Next time if it bothers you have the guts to say something, otherwise these people go unchallenged. Getting 'teacher' to have a go on your behalf (or you friend doing it, it doesn't really matter) just makes them think their behaviour isn't appropriate at work. It won't change how they feel.

manker
03-06-2008, 11:43 AM
I'm with Squeamous (or Penis, as bemonikered by our new chum grimms).

Generally, to ignore it is to condone it. You'd have lost nothing if you'd have spoken up at the time, Skweeks. It would have been awkward, sure, but at least these people would have your point of view to contend with and it might have made them realise that all people have the same basic needs and are, as such, equal.

Might not have, of course, but sitting quietly while views you heartily disagree with are spoken loudly can only give the impression to these people that you tolerate - or even endorse - such opinions.

Biggles
03-06-2008, 12:05 PM
These lunch time rants are self propelling. Once one guy goes off on one it becomes a game of slap to see who can out rant the other. Usually a reality check brings them back to earth. However, one can't appear upset as the racism then becomes secondary to the game of "wind up" :shifty:

We don't have a big immigrant population in Scotland I recall a couple of guys at work having a rant about illegal immigrants taking up all the council housing. Knowing where they lived I expressed surprise that there was such a large immigrant population there. It transpired neither had even seen a fecking illegal immigrant in their locality let alone be swamped by them. The conversation finished on a pithy "I was only saying what I heard".

manker
03-06-2008, 12:14 PM
These lunch time rants are self propelling. Once one guy goes off on one it becomes a game of slap to see who can out rant the other. Usually a reality check brings them back to earth. However, one can't appear upset as the racism then becomes secondary to the game of "wind up" :shifty::o

I've seen people do that in the lounge :o :o

Actually, I've just looked back tho' my posts via the gift of my mind's eye and notice that I do it every day about one contentious topic or another.
Usually feminism, that's the funniest.

Mr JP Fugley
03-06-2008, 02:11 PM
I'm with Skweeky, why should you have to get into a confrontational situation. It's clearly a management issue. In large offices there would normally be someone specifically allocated to deal with this type of thing.

Ignore people here, on their "moral high ground" telling you what you should have done in the situation then judging you because you didn't do what they say you should have. They weren't there and don't know the full circumstances or personalities involved. So fuck what they think about it.

manker
03-06-2008, 03:23 PM
I'm with manker. That chap reacted to the words on the screen and the personality that wrote them, rather than make up a situation that he knew nothing about.
The words said that some people said some stuff that another person thought vile, and that person sat there and didn't say 'owt.

That person should have said something.

Biggles
03-06-2008, 03:30 PM
I'm with manker. That chap reacted to the words on the screen and the personality that wrote them, rather than make up a situation that he knew nothing about.
The words said that some people said some stuff that another person thought vile, and that person sat there and didn't say 'owt.

That person should have said something.

or done something else

Barbarossa
03-06-2008, 03:33 PM
When people are talking about getting sacked and that, what for exactly? :blink:

As far as I know lunchtime racism isn't illegal. :idunno:

grimms
03-06-2008, 04:15 PM
No, I didn't think to discuss it with them. It was a fucking rant, not a conversation. I'm not attempting to have a rational calm conversation with someone who is pretty much shouting.
And I didn't complain to my boss, someone else brought it up. Get your facts straight.

I would go to the proper people, let them know and handle it. It's not worth a confrontation. I think it's utterly disgusting but let the proper people handle this issue. If it is another person who these rants were directed at, then let them know to go to the proper people within the company. I hate racism, but unfortunately it is very prevalent everywhere. Ignore penis (He spews nothing but useless banter, same goes for manker).

Yes I know you'll both reply with some witty shitty posts(Real big of both of you).

grimms
03-06-2008, 04:21 PM

You just don't ever stop, do you? When will you croak, you annoying tick.:sick:

Barbarossa
03-06-2008, 04:27 PM
You should be flattered that you've made an impression, and are not just another faceless lolboy :smilie4:

grimms
03-06-2008, 04:39 PM
I don't care about making an impression, Especially by ignorant people like (Squeamous and manker). Lol all you want. I'm not here to flatter anyone (Especially in the lounge).

stitched
03-06-2008, 04:53 PM
i think racism is something which is a normal human behaviour for any person with average moral standards, if no harm is done then something like that should be ignored, people just talk all sorts of things during lunch time, there is no reason to prove your ideals in these useless conversations ,if its on the internet and over the phone it wouldnt matter saying what ever you please and get away with it, but in real its always better to go with the flow and knowing where to stop....most people as they grow older become attached to the land they live in, their religion, their language, their race....and being racist is trying to protect their kind in an immoral way.

Barbarossa
03-06-2008, 04:56 PM
^ racist :O

That's a fucking ridiculous attitude by the way, burying your head in the sand. ("going with the flow" as you put it)

Any form of prejudice is unacceptable and it's about time decent people stood up and said so.

manker
03-06-2008, 05:03 PM
I don't care about making an impression, Especially by ignorant people like (Squeamous and manker). Lol all you want. I'm doing it loads in an at not with capacity, FYI.
Please to be continuing.

Also, why do you believe me to be ignorant and could you also specify what you believe me to be ignorant of.

grimms
03-06-2008, 05:10 PM
I can only judge you by what you post, with words(Obviously I don't know you, int he real world to judge otherwise). Maybe your just some typical uber geek in "real life" threatened by your own shallow existence. Or too old to get out anymore in the real world(Don't know your age). Nor do I care to. But all your stupid, witty comments are annoying and unneeded. Especially that trans gender bullshit you was spewing the other day. But I know you will continue on and on, until no end, to impress your other two friends in this section of the forum.

manker
03-06-2008, 05:14 PM
I can only judge you by what you post, with words(Obviously I don't know you, int he real world to judge otherwise). Maybe your just some typical uber geek in "real life" threatened by your own shallow existence. Or too old to get out anymore in the real world(Don't know your age). Nor do I care to. But all your stupid, witty comments are annoying and unneeded. Especially that trans gender bullshit you was spewing the other day. But I know you will continue on and on, until no end, to impress your other two friends in this section of the forum.
Fascinating. Completely unrelated to what I asked, but that insight to your thoughts captivated me.

To explain the trans-gender thing. You posted that I had reverted you back to being a girl. This indicated to your readers that at some point you'd changed genders. Hence the trans-gender bs.
See.

So, why do you believe me to be ignorant and what, precisely, do you believe me to be ignorant of.

Something Else
03-06-2008, 05:15 PM
http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/6020/1203885368009ah2uo5.jpg

grimms
03-06-2008, 05:29 PM
Manker your an ass. I never started any shit with you, until you and your fanboys started to post the usual bullshit(Witty little comments). Seems like every time someone new posts in here(Lounge Section). You and sqeamous feel obligated to start shit with them. I can see if a particular member puts themselve in that position, but it's another when you start picking on them for no reason. I didn't come in here to bicker and go back and forth with you, but now I have obviously, due to you and that other ass. That comment you made about me being a typical transgender DJ was ignorant. It would be entirely different, if me and you were friends on here going back and forth. But this is not the case. I didn't ask for your opinion, regarding my recording career or any of that other bullshit you continue to post. But knowing you, this will continue on and on. 34,000 posts of pure bullshit.

manker
03-06-2008, 05:38 PM
Ahh, so not ignorant. You feel I disrespected you - and on the internets of all places :o

It's actually very unusual for me to pick on someone that's new. You won't be able to find another instance. I picked on you 'cos I thought you were talking shite and your username was 'grimms'. How appropriate, I thought. You then proved to be relentless with the oddly contrived insults.

It continued because ... well, I felt like continuing it. You're funny in a dog with two legs kind of way.

Biggles
03-06-2008, 05:42 PM
Where is Snee's "There is someone wrong" pic?

grimms
03-06-2008, 05:49 PM
Your like a shit talking parasite. That will never go away or stop I see. I'm not here to be funny, your dog with two legs or anything else for the matter.

Chip Monk
03-06-2008, 05:54 PM

I would go to the proper people, let them know and handle it. It's not worth a confrontation. I think it's utterly disgusting but let the proper people handle this issue. If it is another person who these rants were directed at, then let them know to go to the proper people within the company.

Exactly, minus the personal abuse obviously.

Squeamous
03-07-2008, 07:07 AM

I think it has rather a nice ring to it :shifty:.

Squeamous
03-07-2008, 07:15 AM
Your like a shit talking parasite. That will never go away or stop I see.

That gives me an idea for a film script!

grimms
03-07-2008, 08:05 AM
That gives me an idea for a film script!

Please don't. It will probably be the typical Hollywood flop.:O