PDA

View Full Version : [ :: So Whats The Next Revolutionary Torrent Source :: ]

XS75
03-06-2008, 11:07 PM
Project Gazelle or SysDev

Project Gazelle: Created by the What.cd Team! Running a Gazelle Front-End Similar to that of TBSource with heavy modification and a XBT Tracker (C++) as the back-end.

SysDev: Created by the Infamous System. Running PHP Front-End and a PHP Back-End, it imo is the Next Big Source. After testing it was theoretically capable of 450,000 peers on a $70.00 Server.

So whats the next big source?

Kyl3KK
03-06-2008, 11:13 PM

Project Gazelle: Created by the What.cd Team! Running a Gazelle Front-End Similar to that of TBSource with heavy modification and a XBT Tracker (C++) as the back-end.

SysDev: Created by the Infamous System. Running PHP Front-End and a PHP Back-End, it imo is the Next Big Source. After testing it was theoretically capable of 450,000 peers on a $70.00 Server.

So whats the next big source?SysDev? What tracker uses that?

XS75
03-06-2008, 11:15 PM
SysDev? What tracker uses that?

No tracker at the moment, in fact both sources are unused atm, but check out
http://sysdev.org.uk for more info

RainRoofer
03-06-2008, 11:15 PM
who knows

juodis
03-06-2008, 11:17 PM
SysDev

XS75
03-06-2008, 11:28 PM
:lol: everyone votes Project Gazelle because its more widely known. Read up on both you n00bs.

Is C++ known by all who choose Project Gazelle? /me doubts

jukesta
03-06-2008, 11:37 PM
i'd have to save project gazelle

looks hot.

XS75
03-06-2008, 11:43 PM
neither will probably replace tbdev in my opinion.
XBTT has been out a while and not as many sites use that.
Its probably just the overly large sites that would even use XBTT for the most part... so I would assume the same for both of these.

Incorrect, many sites are looking to drop the outdated source. And XBTT has been out a while, but not many are familiar with C/C++ so they have no clue how to get it functioning properly.

SenorBubbz
03-06-2008, 11:45 PM
SysDev looks better

(I)
03-07-2008, 12:10 AM
I love our current TB source :inlove:

What ratio tracking means?

XS75
03-07-2008, 12:12 AM

The Tracking of Ratios? :lol:

Cant be more clear than that ..

whiteyes
03-07-2008, 12:15 AM
Does TehConnection use one of them?

XS75
03-07-2008, 12:31 AM
Does TehConnection use one of them?

No TehConnection uses a basically 95% rewritten TBSource with XBTT backend.

myllian
03-07-2008, 12:57 AM
Gazelle is all about improving MUSIC trackers, it's stupid to compare both imo. I didn't vote.

thisismychurch
03-07-2008, 12:58 AM
sysdev :)

1000possibleclaws
03-07-2008, 01:09 AM
:lol: everyone votes Project Gazelle because its more widely known. Read up on both you n00bs.

well you should have made an option of who cares/ i don't know

Rumblin
03-07-2008, 01:26 AM

well you should have made an option of who cares/ i don't know

or if you dont know refrain from posting

grimms
03-07-2008, 01:27 AM
I put my money on SysDev.

dunson
03-07-2008, 01:31 AM
I don't know what either of these look like. :(

Gish
03-07-2008, 01:43 AM
can't wait to see whats finished product:)

Dr_Green_Thumb
03-07-2008, 02:10 AM
SysDev: Created by the Infamous System.

Is that System from RVT who is working on that?

jam0980tr
03-07-2008, 02:35 AM
Source tbdev
if you really wanna read more about Project Gazelle

go too tbdev ;)

http://www.tbdev.net/index.php?showtopic=15220

rvt
03-07-2008, 11:05 AM
SysDev: Created by the Infamous System.

Is that System from RVT who is working on that?
Yes, it's me. Infamous though?

I don't see it as competition. I spent last night with some of the other alpha testers of gazelle poking holes in it so it can be better secured, and I regularly talk to at least one member of their team.

I was slightly envious when I saw their staff control panel, but the 2 are aimed at different things so their panel would not work in sysdev, just as some of my optimizations wouldn't work for them.

A little info about sysdev though. The aim of the (very preliminary) speed test was not to show that it could handle hundreds of thousands of connections per hour, but that it could handle connections on very cheap hardware. If I'm succesful and 450K peers can go on a $70 box, 10K peer sites should easily run on a <$10 VPS.
I want it to be an out of the box, easy set up site for small to medium sites that can be run on shared hosting or a VPS.

As things stand at the moment, there's no real easy way to get a site setup, secured and optimized unless you are a coder or have one to help you. I don't believe that all torrent sites should be run by coders, who may not actually be best for the job. I'm a coder, and I'm crap as a mod/admin :P

You'll also need a good VPS or dedi box very quickly for any new site that's succesful. This costs money, and leaves a paper trail, so new sites cannot easily appear overnight. Revolt did, but I had a server already and I then spent the next week doing security and optimization.

Basically, I want to remove the barrier that prevents non-coders from setting up a new site whenever one is needed.
When oink went down, a lot of people were looking for an alternative but had to wait for what/waffles. When I started revolt to house the misplaced community from another site, everyone was waiting for someone else to come along and do it.
I don't see any reason why any group of people with a common interest should have to wait days, let alone weeks, or why they should need to ensure they have the finances before starting.
If it can be running within minutes, and have a cost requirement of $10 with a code requirement of zero, things can only be better for the users.

Fast setup and low requirements also mean that should a site be taken offline, it can be running again elsewhere very quickly.

For that reason, it wont have anywhere near the level of complexity or features that gazelle or any fully modded tb source does. But it will have the basics you need to start running a private site with the most useful extras, while being as secure as I can make it.

Artemis
03-07-2008, 11:40 AM
I'm a coder, and I'm crap as a mod/admin

We all :wub: our 'crap' sysop, you have created a very special place, and what you are doing for the future of the community by developing the sysdev
code is awesome. I truly wish I had the ability to give to the community what
you have done with code development.

(I)
03-07-2008, 12:03 PM

The Tracking of Ratios? :lol:

Cant be more clear than that ..

Perhaps it's too easy to understand :)
Of course all private trackers need tracking ratio sys. lol

singing_sol
03-07-2008, 12:16 PM
yeah a right to go with an option at this moment would be wrong so letz wait for the results

SAM
03-07-2008, 12:54 PM
Sysdev.

KFlint
03-07-2008, 04:16 PM
i would say none, the next revolutionnary torrent source would have to be in ruby on rails, nothing revolutionnary using php

grimms
03-07-2008, 04:35 PM
I'm a coder, and I'm crap as a mod/admin

We all :wub: our 'crap' sysop, you have created a very special place, and what you are doing for the future of the community by developing the sysdev
code is awesome. I truly wish I had the ability to give to the community what
you have done with code development.

1+. Definitely agree.:D

rvt
03-07-2008, 05:40 PM
i would say none, the next revolutionnary torrent source would have to be in ruby on rails, nothing revolutionnary using php
The thing about ruby on rails is that it's a framework. It's primarily designed so you don't have to reinvent the wheel, and use prebuilt code for most things.
Nothing revolutionary can come from that.

Building every single line of code from the ground up and doing things in new ways is the only way to revolutionize it.

Besides, a good reason for building it line by line is so you know it's secure. Blindly using someone elses library is bad enough, using a framework where you never even see the code you are relying on is worse.

Frameworks are also slower than custom code whether they are written in php or ruby. They have overheads that the custom code doesn't.

Besides all that, how many places have ROR installed? How many people can understand ROR easily let alone create mods?
PHP/mysql is almost universal, and there's a huge base of people able to create basic mods for PHP code.

ilovednb
03-07-2008, 05:50 PM
I think sysdev :)

trackerman
03-07-2008, 05:51 PM

So whats the next big source?

sysdev sounds like the real deal

goodkat
03-07-2008, 08:36 PM
Sysdev is the only project that released some files publicly and looks quite promising to me!

For the people that want ruby in it should remember the Hydraproject (http://code.google.com/p/hydraproject/)! Why is that one not in the poll? But I don't have the idea that much development is going on there....:whistling

We have to be patient and we will find out....

necromantic
03-08-2008, 04:25 PM
SysDev, and I'm basing my decision strictly on the fact that the project has a cooler name than "Project Gazelle"

Quarter
03-08-2008, 04:39 PM
As a big fan of What I think that Gazelle is better.

Qlix
03-08-2008, 05:52 PM
My votes goes to sysdev.

yakz091
06-26-2008, 03:39 AM
my vote doesnt go to either of them.
As i would like to start a site with jsp as the front end and the back end running in servlets.
i dont think anything else is more secure than this.
i bet on it.

integral
06-26-2008, 03:43 AM
Another topic from March dug up today. That makes two..

respawn40
06-26-2008, 03:44 AM
Oh yes; I remember reading about The Hydra Project. Sounded quite interesting, actually.

markupmaster
06-26-2008, 03:52 AM
Oh yes; I remember reading about The Hydra Project. Sounded quite interesting, actually.

Yeah,I had forgotten about that. Are there any updates on it's progress?

respawn40
06-26-2008, 03:53 AM
http://onwebapps.com/

That's the newest blog on it it seems like.

silvertec
06-26-2008, 03:55 AM
Truly guys it hard to vote of this most will vote by the look of a site by the look rather the code which is been done by a designer.

Few will see the true elegance and brilliance of the code written.

I just take my hat off to those coders that start at the being and build it from the ground up,those are the guys I have grown to respect.

Any goose can steal a source then add their little bit to it look at scc

markupmaster
06-26-2008, 03:56 AM

Ok,Thanks I Appreciate this...

:)

respawn40
06-26-2008, 03:59 AM

Ok,Thanks I Appreciate this...

:)

Now that I look through it, the actual post about The Hydra Project is

http://onwebapps.com/current-state-of-the-hydra-project/

helpme
06-26-2008, 08:00 AM
i dont know

nthpeter
06-26-2008, 10:06 AM
I think SysDev. Stats are better.

bubucea
06-26-2008, 05:21 PM
SysDev

Ramus
06-27-2008, 06:12 AM
i prefer sysdev personally

Torrentx
06-27-2008, 06:35 AM
Any screenshots of sysdev?

invadercat
06-27-2008, 08:22 AM
nobody have seen any of the sources as of yet. but IMO both of the projects looks hot :)