PDA

View Full Version : Problem Seedbox

messi30
03-07-2008, 02:47 PM
I want setting my seedbox but i have a problem, i cant solve, this is my problem

-bash: yum: command not found

I have installed fedora 6

class
03-07-2008, 02:51 PM
basically you typed the command wrong. i have done this many times, and sometimes it may be because you have typed the wrong thing earlier on

-bash: always means you typed the wrong thing, and you cannot -bash: command

SgtMajor
03-07-2008, 06:58 PM
Did you follow the tutorial word for word yet?

how did you get on?

messi30
03-07-2008, 10:44 PM

how did you get on?

I have installed other seedbox but the seedbox of hosting ie show the follow

yum -y install xterm wine vnc-server

batch: yum: command not found

I need install yum, if somebody can give me the link of one page for insall it, thanks.

SgtMajor
03-07-2008, 11:00 PM

how did you get on?

I need install yum, if somebody can give me the link of one page for insall it, thanks.

Which unix flavour did you get?

Not all unix understand yum, some are apt-get iirc?

Sifor
03-07-2008, 11:06 PM
I am having the same problem. I have hosting IE as well. I have the centurion II plan. I get the same errror. I think I am running red hat, which might be what he is running as well. The reason the linux OS type is unclear is that it never lists they type anywhere, as far as I can see. I am truly in need of help on this problem too.

messi30
03-07-2008, 11:06 PM

I have installed Fedora 6

thats your question???

Ragecloak
03-07-2008, 11:08 PM
Looks like you dont have yum installed
do this:

wget http://linux.duke.edu/projects/yum/download/3.2/yum-3.2.12.tar.gz
tar xvzpf yum-3.2.12.tar.gz
cd yum-3.2.12
./configure
make
make install

I'm a bit new to linux myself but this is how you generally install programs "manually" instead of using programs like apt-get or yum. There may be other things you need to do in the ./configure, make and make install parts so you may want to see if there's a README in the yum-3.2.12 directory. Pico is a good editor for new users so just type pico README or pico INSTALL in the yum-3.2.12 directory (ctrl x to exit)

Artemis
03-07-2008, 11:12 PM

As above YUM (Yellowdog Update Manager) is the package manager used for Redhat/Mandrake based Linux distro's , If the distro on this server is Debian/Ubuntu based then the package manager is APT (Advanced Packaging Tool), there is also emerge for Gentoo based distro's but Gentoo is not commonly used for server installations.
In a PuTTY session type uname -s this will show the O/S version onscreen to confirm which distro you have.
The command line for apt is slightly different to yum it is apt-get install [ ] [ ]
but once you have the distro type this will be clearer.

Ragecloak
03-07-2008, 11:16 PM
I thought RPM was the package manager for redhat? If you have rpm, that's easier than compiling like I suggested above
just do this:

wget http://linux.duke.edu/projects/yum/download/3.2/yum-3.2.12-1.src.rpm
rpm -Uvh yum-3.2.12-1.src.rpm

edit: be sure to wget the full link and not the short link like the forum shows h ttp://linux.duke.edu/projects/yum/download/3.2/yum-3.2.12-1.src.rpm :)

mr.Dman
03-07-2008, 11:19 PM

I have installed Fedora 6

thats your question???
I'm setting up mine from hosting-Ie right now and I had them install FD6
I'm using this guide and it's working well http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-guides-and-tutorials-65/t-naqs-complete-setup-guide-linux-seedboxes-fedora-corecentosdebianubuntu-281331

messi30
03-07-2008, 11:30 PM
Looks like you dont have yum installed
do this:

cd yum-3.2.12
./configure
make
make install

I'm a bit new to linux myself but this is how you generally install programs "manually" instead of using programs like apt-get or yum. There may be other things you need to do in the ./configure, make and make install parts so you may want to see if there's a README in the yum-3.2.12 directory. Pico is a good editor for new users so just type pico README or pico INSTALL in the yum-3.2.12 directory (ctrl x to exit)

I follow your method but shows me the following errors

cd yum-3.2.12
./configure -bash: ./configure: No such file or directory
make
make install

and in Pico is a good editor for new users so just type pico README or pico INSTALL in the yum-3.2.12 directory (ctrl x to exit), the follow error

-bash: pico: command not found

I thought RPM was the package manager for redhat? If you have rpm, that's easier than compiling like I suggested above
just do this:

wget http://linux.duke.edu/projects/yum/download/3.2/yum-3.2.12-1.src.rpm
rpm -Uvh yum-3.2.12-1.src.rpm

edit: be sure to wget the full link and not the short link like the forum shows h ttp://linux.duke.edu/projects/yum/download/3.2/yum-3.2.12-1.src.rpm :)

[root@fx3219 ~]# rpm -Uvh yum-3.2.12-1.src.rpm
warning: yum-3.2.12-1.src.rpm: Header V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 69886cc7
error: cannot create %sourcedir /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES

Artemis
03-07-2008, 11:45 PM
Like I said before use the uname -s command to verify which Linux distro is installed on the server, and post back the results here.

messi30
03-07-2008, 11:49 PM
Like I said before use the uname -s command to verify which Linux distro is installed on the server, and post back the results here.

[root@fx3219 ~]# uname -s
Linux
[root@fx3219 ~]#

Artemis
03-07-2008, 11:54 PM
errr oops lol, that was informative uname has alot of different command switches -s is the default, try -v which will give you the version and if push comes to shove -x gives you the expanded command which will give all the uname info available.

Ragecloak
03-07-2008, 11:57 PM
I follow your method but shows me the following errors

cd yum-3.2.12
./configure -bash: ./configure: No such file or directory
make
make install

Yea, there's no configure there, but according to the INSTALL file, all you have to do is make and make install. Have you tried running yum again? Should/could work :)

messi30
03-07-2008, 11:59 PM
errr oops lol, that was informative uname has alot of different command switches -s is the default, try -v which will give you the version and if push comes to shove -x gives you the expanded command which will give all the uname info available.

[root@fx3219 ~]# uname -r
2.6.9-023stab046.2-smp
[root@fx3219 ~]# uname -o
GNU/Linux
[root@fx3219 ~]# uname --version
uname (GNU coreutils) 6.9
Copyright (C) 2007 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software. You may redistribute copies of it under the terms of
the GNU General Public License <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.

Written by David MacKenzie.
[root@fx3219 ~]# uname -v
#1 SMP Mon Dec 10 15:07:07 MSK 2007

naq
03-08-2008, 01:20 AM
Strange your FC6 doesn't come with yum. Here is how to install it:

# wget ftp://ftp.uni-bayreuth.de/pub/redhat.com/fedora/linux/core/updates/6/i386/yum-3.0.6-1.fc6.noarch.rpm
# rpm -Uvh yum-3.0.6-1.fc6.noarch.rpm

That should work. Type this afterwards if the last command completed OK to update the system.

# yum update

messi30
03-08-2008, 02:21 AM
Strange your FC6 doesn't come with yum. Here is how to install it:

# wget ftp://ftp.uni-bayreuth.de/pub/redhat.com/fedora/linux/core/updates/6/i386/yum-3.0.6-1.fc6.noarch.rpm
# rpm -Uvh yum-3.0.6-1.fc6.noarch.rpm

That should work. Type this afterwards if the last command completed OK to update the system.

# yum update

I am having many problems with my seedbox, I need to speak with support of hosting ie for OS reinstall some, but I need someone to help you to find out which operating system is ideal for installation again.

Artemis
03-08-2008, 03:25 AM
You need to put in a support ticket with hosting-ie asking for a reinstall, a suggestion though, if you are struggling with using Linux on the server hosting-ie offers windows2003 web ed as one of the options for O/S installation so perhaps going with windows server maybe easier for you ?