PDA

View Full Version : Uk P2p Users May Face Legal Action!

basics
08-03-2003, 10:05 PM
Here is an article i just read which may be of intrest to us in the uk.....
The British Phonographic Industry (BPI) is waiting until the new European Union copyright directive is implemented before it decides whether to take legal action against UK peer-to-peer (P2P) users.

The BPI has no current plans to follow the actions of the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) and sue individuals who download music from P2P sites, saying that it prefers to educate people rather than take a heavy handed approach.

But it has warned that the legal route has not been ruled out.

A BPI spokesman told vnunet.com that, although it felt able to issue legal proceedings against file sharers under current law, it preferred to wait until the directive is enforced so that copyright laws are clarified.

The directive came into force in June 2001 and is expected to be implemented sometime in October.  

It follows heavy lobbying by the film, TV and recording industries, which are concerned about the effect of digital technologies on their ability to profit from intellectual property rights.

"Our position from the outset has been to educate and inform. But there is one misconception that needs clearing up," a BPI spokesman said.  

"People have this perception of P2P users as poor students, but there are some people who download seriously large amounts of files.  

"While it is not our intention to sue it is not something we would rule out once the directive is enforced. The heavy users are the ones we would go after."

Ellis Rich, chief executive of the Independent Music Group, is against the idea of suing individual P2P users because, he argues, piracy and downloading music from these sites are not the same thing.

If the industry made online music buying easier the problem could be solved, he said. He said record companies need to realise what they own is the copyright, not the manufacturing rights.  

"I hope the BPI doesn't start legal actions against P2P users. People don't mind paying, but it's about access," he explained.

"The industry could easily put every recording ever made online and it would be much better for everyone if the industry just dealt with it."

looks like we have something to keep our eye on after all...... :ph34r:

3rd gen noob
08-03-2003, 10:15 PM
i'm slightly re-assured by this

at least the bpi aren't as heavy-handed as the riaa in their approach

basics
08-03-2003, 10:18 PM
yeah not until that european directive is passed anyway :blink:

Rat Faced
08-03-2003, 10:22 PM
Even then.

Look at who they are going after....the pirates (that usually have 10,000+ mp3s)

They arent really that bothered by p2p in general, as their surveys show that p2p INCREASES Album sales, by introducing sharers to music they would not normally have listened to.

They believe that a lot of people "try before they buy", which is probably true.

J'Pol
08-03-2003, 10:23 PM
It's a directive, not a law.

Illuminati
08-03-2003, 11:18 PM
You only just heard about this? :P ;)

Although there is still a risk of ending up in the courts, the BPI aren't as much to worry about as the RIAA - While the RIAA are going on an egotistic sueing rampage, the BPI are instead trying to educate file sharers instead.

The BPI would be going for the larger pirates (and I'd mean large; like around a server's worth methinks ;)), and instead aiming to educate and give casual P2P users a chance to "mend their ways" so to speak.

If I was being truthful, it'd be because of that view that'd make me listen to them, should they come knocking on my door. :)

J'Pol
08-03-2003, 11:24 PM
PIRATES ARE PEOPLE WHO DO IT FOR PROFIT.

SHARERS DON'T DO THAT.

HOW MANY FECKIN' TIMES DO YOU NEED TOLD.

Illuminati
08-03-2003, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by JPaul@4 August 2003 - 00:24
PIRATES ARE PEOPLE WHO DO IT FOR PROFIT.

SHARERS DON'T DO THAT.

HOW MANY FECKIN' TIMES DO YOU NEED TOLD.
I was talking more about those who did get their stuff from P2P, other people et al and then sell it on, rather than genuinely-heavy-duty file sharers.

Even pirates have to get it from somewhere ;) But I know what you mean

J'Pol
08-03-2003, 11:31 PM
Sorry, I wasn't shouting at you mate - you are one of a handful who understand.

I was shouting at the people who will not listen.

basics
08-04-2003, 12:36 AM
LOSE THE ATTITUDE JPAUL JESUS MAN ULL GIVE URSELF A HERNIA!!!

yes they will go after the people who are sharing the most files.

especially people who are sharing certain artists copywrited songs im sure ur all aware of these certain artists that are appearing in the subpoenas in the us.

also do be aware that its not ALL artists that have been complaining about us p2p users.

some artists are actually glad of our community because they understand that a lot of people who wouldnt generally go out and buy their releases, might actually download something, then in turn venture out into the big wide world and actually buy their cd!!

p2p is a powerful tool if there can be some kind of compromise....

Adster
08-04-2003, 01:51 AM
I keep hearing different storys about this crap and I don't knwo waht to believe :blink:

chalkmongoose
08-04-2003, 03:34 AM
There shouldn't be a compromise. It can't happen. The concept behind peer to peer file-sharing is to eliminate the payments behind copyrighted materials.
The concept behind organizations such as the RIAA is to protect the grotesque amount of money it makes behind copyrighted materials.

basics
08-05-2003, 03:42 PM
yes but what im getting at is that not all artists have declared a war on p2p it is a minority of artists who believe that p2p is harming there sales.

there are a lot of artists who have publically admitted that they think they have probably benefited from p2p programs.....reached an audience that they wouldnt necessarily of targeted before!!!

u probably already heard that napster is coming back as a pay per play service. this could be included in a program where there are free files also, dont forget if this is utilizrd correctlyt it could be a winner for everyone!!

no overheads like reatilers and cd manufactureres hace to pay out because its all done remotely over the net, the potential to save record companies a lot of money!!!

ultimately in 10 years time do u think there are gonna be so many record shops on the high streets i think not!!!!

Wizzandabe
08-05-2003, 03:45 PM
anyone heard of that git robie willams, well he is for p2p.

N£MO
08-05-2003, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Wizzandabe@5 August 2003 - 16:45
anyone heard of that git robie willams, well he is for p2p.
IMO thats the only good thing to say about knobbie williams.

Most of the good things in life are illegal,so just add this to the list.

Worry??Not me. :D