PDA

View Full Version : something wrong with pc

Mïcrösöül°V³
03-08-2008, 08:06 PM
I am trying to reinstall windows on a machine, and I keep getting things like "setup was unable to copy file bla bla, press enter to retry, F3 to quit, etc etc"
So I tought maybe the cd drive was going bad, so I put in another, and get the same results. I kept hitting enter to get through the XP setup, and when it got through it, I got a BSOD that said "irq less than not equal".
Im sure it a piece of hardware failing. Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, what was the cause.
Im going to keep messing with it, I just thought I would post to see if I could get a quick possibility.
Its a pentium 3, 40gb drive, 760 something sdram, radeon 9700 vid, nothing much else to speak of really.

necromantic
03-08-2008, 08:12 PM
Sounds like your disc is bad/scratched. Just go download the newest release and try again.

Mïcrösöül°V³
03-08-2008, 08:17 PM
well, I thought about that too, so I put the XP disc in my working machine and used nero to make a copy onto a fresh disc, and it didnt help. Could the data on the disc be bad maybe?
Since I use a legit VLK copy, would my code work on just some "off the net" copy of xp pro?

Also, this machine started doing goofy things, thats why it is being reinstalled. I just figured windows was all messed up. Thats why im thinking hardware malfluctuations lol

zapjb
03-08-2008, 08:49 PM
Ime the HDD has to be nuked & formatted independently of the XP disk.

Detale
03-08-2008, 11:20 PM
well, I thought about that too, so I put the XP disc in my working machine and used nero to make a copy onto a fresh disc, and it didnt help. Could the data on the disc be bad maybe?
Since I use a legit VLK copy, would my code work on just some "off the net" copy of xp pro?

Also, this machine started doing goofy things, thats why it is being reinstalled. I just figured windows was all messed up. Thats why im thinking hardware malfluctuations lol

Your SN should work with a "net" copy sure, Also could be your Power supply I have read many many things like this that have turned out to be the PSU if you have another you might want to try it also.

necromantic
03-09-2008, 12:07 AM
Oh shit, I just remembered the ram. I've seen in the past bad ram messing up installs. Try running memtest just to be sure.

http://www.memtest86.com/

Also, by making of a copy of a scratched disc you are still copying all the read errors over to the new disc. This isn't going to help you. If it's not the ram or the disc it's gotta be the hard drive. Try running a diagnostics tool on the hard drive too.

Maxtor's Powermax
Seagate's Seatools
Western Digital's Data Lifeguard Diagnostics