PDA

View Full Version : Networking 2 computers wirelessly but with a twist

Detale
03-10-2008, 03:28 AM
OK so I am at a loss. I have my main rig wired to my Linksys wireless router (WRT54g) and a USB wireless stick on it also. Then I have a Micro rig set up in the other room hooked up via S-video to my TV with a wireless card in it.

My question is can I/how do I network them up so that the Micro computer can read from a folder on the main rig wirelessly and letting my main rig use the wired connection for the internet? I have been fighting with this for days and I am at my wits end. I may even go and get a slingbox or something like it to make life easier. Any advice of opinions are GREATLY appreciated, Thanks guys.

Sonnentier
03-10-2008, 03:53 AM
I am a bit confused. But if you connect both the main rig and the micro rig to the router, then they should be able to communicate with each other. Also, every rig connected to the router should be able to use the internet, assuming the router receives the DSL line. Usually, I am not sure about WRT54g, both wireless and wired computers are inside the same LAN.

DaMan05
03-10-2008, 04:00 AM
I am not sure about WRT54g, both wireless and wired computers are inside the same LAN.
yip they are...

i dont see what your problem is either bud...

hook up one wired
another wireless
share the USB on the wired one
read the USB from the wireless one

that dun work?

Sonnentier
03-10-2008, 04:03 AM
share the USB on the wired one
read the USB from the wireless one
I think he has a wireless device plugged as USB stick, not a memory stick..

DaMan05
03-10-2008, 04:07 AM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH! i get it!

he's trying to run a wireless network connection AND a wired one at the same time

winXP and Vista will default to using the wired one only... what you can try is ICS (internet connection sharing) but i've never gotten it to work. google it for some tutorials

Sonnentier
03-10-2008, 04:09 AM
he's trying to run a wireless network connection AND a wired one at the same time

yes, but I don't see the point of doing this..

DaMan05
03-10-2008, 04:11 AM
yes, but I don't see the point of doing this..

well lets wait till he comes back on and see :p

Detale
03-10-2008, 04:28 AM
Sorry if I wasn't so clear. OK well I want to watch movies as soon as they are downloaded from my main rig on my television in the other room without having to run another cable from my router (which is downstairs)

So in my head at least I thought to build a micro computer and mess around with a "home theater" type thing so I could have all of my 2TB of movies available without having to burn them to a disk I have tried many other options ie. flash drive external HDD hooked up to Divx player with a USB port, but I was never 100% happy with the outcome because I have to burn something.

By all means if you guys have a better idea I am open to it. but for now this is an option I would like to explore.

BTW after messing around with the network options now I keep getting this message

"The Network connections folder was unable to retrieve the list of network adapters on your machine. Please make sure that the network service is enabled and running."

WTF does this mean!?

DaMan05
03-10-2008, 03:24 PM
i dont know what that means sorry... but i'll tell you my setup

I have a TV/Downloader PC. It's hooked up to my TV through DVI and is on 24/7 downloading and uploading. it also has a 1TB external drive on it that i watch all my movies and TV off of

what I do is, download to the PC's internal 160GB drive and when it's done, extract to the external one.

you can do that, or like you said, have your main PC and your micro PC on the same network and stream wirelessly, but in my experience, thats not too good for skipping ahead and rewinding.

lee551
03-11-2008, 04:20 AM
i'm also confused why you want a wired + wireless connection on the main rig?

like said before, if they are both connected to the router (regardless of connection type) they should be visible to each other since they're still on the same LAN.

i share files between my wired desktop and wirelessly connected laptop all the time. it's the same thing, no? or are we still missing something?

Detale
03-11-2008, 06:34 AM
Really I seem to be having a problem getting them to recognise each other when 1 is wired and the other is wireless. I am going to have to do a reinstall of windows in a few days as I want to update my rig a bit, so I will try again then and ask for help again. Thanks to all

harrycary
03-12-2008, 12:04 AM
I just hooked a Dlink media server(about $150) to my network. I use the included remote to can watch any movies,
listen to any music and view any photos stored on my primary PC. I also have access to 1 of 4 different music services.

Piece of cake.

The only drawback is I will need to buy a new HD media server when HD content becomes the norm.

DaMan05
03-12-2008, 01:55 AM
Really I seem to be having a problem getting them to recognise each other when 1 is wired and the other is wireless. I am going to have to do a reinstall of windows in a few days as I want to update my rig a bit, so I will try again then and ask for help again. Thanks to all

you not only have to be on the same network but also on the same workgroup. so make sure those are the same :)

Detale
03-12-2008, 04:10 AM
Much appreciated, Thanks you see the real problem here is I don't know fu@k all about networking, I just started following the "set up a home network wizard" and messing with the options. I really need to just sit and learn what I'm doing first, but I am the type to dive in and fix it later alas why this thread.

lee551
03-12-2008, 05:39 AM
yea, there's a few things that can hang you up. are the op systems on each the same? xp is very networking friendly. vista... not so much.

you'll also want to share the relevant folders on the main rig, then map a network drive on the micro and use an address like \\pc_name\folder\ or create a shortcut to that network location.

DaMan05
03-14-2008, 12:27 AM
then map a network drive on the micro and use an address like \\pc_name\folder\ or create a shortcut to that network location.
you wouldn't HAVE to map a network drive, but it would be a good idea, yes.

to check your workgroup, right click on My Computer and goto properties, it's somewhere in there. I'm on Vista Ultimate right now and its right at the first page, but I know in XP it's somewhere in there. Make sure the workgroup is the same for both PCs and the folders you want to access are shared.

Hope that helps :)

Detale
03-15-2008, 03:19 AM
ANY info helps at this point guys, Thanks for the help and patience here. I am going to try attempt number two prob on Sun as thats the only day I've had off from work in about 2 weeks now so maybe I can squeeze in a little "me" time.

mishref
03-23-2008, 08:46 AM
What is the ip address on the wired pc (probably 192.168.1.*). Then check the ip on the wireless pc (again, should be something like 192.168.1.#). If both are in the same network, then on the wireless pc, try to access the wired pc using this address //(wired pc ip).

RealitY
03-24-2008, 07:30 AM
Well I set all the pc on the network to have static ip on them. Then created a rule in my fw to allow them access. This solved the issues I had when setting this up. It could be a fw blocking them perhaps...

tutipute
03-25-2008, 10:06 PM
Well I set all the pc on the network to have static ip on them. Then created a rule in my fw to allow them access. This solved the issues I had when setting this up. It could be a fw blocking them perhaps...

That's a good tip!

I personally suggest that you will:
1. Make sure that the two devices are connected to the router.
2. Set up a static ip for both devices.
3. Make sure you get a bi-directional ping - This will indicate that the two devices can communicate. It still doesn't mean that they can share files, but it is a great checkpoint.

Once youve managed to establish a ping come back for help. :)

tesco
03-26-2008, 11:45 PM
You don't need a wireless card in a computer that is connected through wire.
It will still communicate with the wireless computer (through the router).

So take out the wireless device from the wired computer, then run the network setup wizard on both PCs making sure that you use the same workgroup name and they will then see each other in "My Network" / "Network" / "Network Neighbourhood" or whatever else Microsoft wants to call it.

Detale
03-27-2008, 12:52 AM
Wow I can't believe all the helpful advice in this thread. Thanks guys so much but unfortunately the wife won't allow another computer in the house, apparently she feels I spend too much time on it already ( Grounds for divorce??) So I think I am going to have to go with this:

D-Link DSM-520 Wireless HD Media Player (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882103603)
http://www.pvrcanada.com/images/offering/P47434E/large.jpg

Not really the route I wanted to take but marriage = compromise I guess

tutipute
03-28-2008, 08:05 AM
Wow I can't believe all the helpful advice in this thread. Thanks guys so much but unfortunately the wife won't allow another computer in the house, apparently she feels I spend too much time on it already ( Grounds for divorce??) So I think I am going to have to go with this:

D-Link DSM-520 Wireless HD Media Player (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882103603)
http://www.pvrcanada.com/images/offering/P47434E/large.jpg

Not really the route I wanted to take but marriage = compromise I guess

LOL!!!! route over router! Seems like the right choise ;)

I totally hear you, next time (:D) make sure you have everything you need before you get married...

I personally got my HD Projetor, HD audio, big screen TV and collection of Media centers. Anyone wants to add anything to the list before its too late???

Ohhhh, what about x264?