PDA

View Full Version : Isn't Scanning Our System Consider Hacking Us?

draqon
08-04-2003, 01:23 AM
Isn't scanning our system and invading our privacy illegal? Its like a person taking private pictures of you and learning all your secrets.

Gre1
08-04-2003, 01:32 AM
Yes, it is illegal that's why they can't do it. Thats why they are trying to get through the ISPs to get to downloaders

Adster
08-04-2003, 01:50 AM
good point I actully never thought of that till you rose it

draqon
08-04-2003, 01:54 AM
So, maybe all this crap about the RIAA is BS, since if they really are scanning our system, its like trying to hack us because its consider hacking since they are hammering our firewall.

balamm
08-04-2003, 01:57 AM
It's not illegal to scan anything. If the information is used against you , then it has questionable merit and may allow you to sue.

chalkmongoose
08-04-2003, 03:28 AM
Originally posted by balamm@4 August 2003 - 01:57
It's not illegal to scan anything. If the information is used against you , then it has questionable merit and may allow you to sue.
And Balamm, what exactly did you think they'd do with it? Sit on it? Let it rot? Let it wait until the user can deep6 format his computer?
I'm sure that they'd use any information they could find, and sadly, many people are broadcasting that they share illegal files, and are making it extremely easy for the RIAA to say "we found these on your computer, but we found them by using a search engine, which means they were publicly accessable"

peepeehead09
08-04-2003, 04:58 AM
I'm not sure which info them scanning are you focusing on but if you're talking about the copyrighted files you share, then you cannot sue because of the fact that you allowed these files to be shared.

If you're talking about personal info, you still cannot sue if you are sharing copyrighted material. Its like any "crime" (although i still say what you cannot hold you cannot steal), if you are a suspect in it, you cannot stay anonymous and the authoroties have the right to know your personal details.

SuppaSlick
08-04-2003, 05:00 AM
yeah that is just as bad as haacking and should have a penalty whether not the person uses it.......

peepeehead09
08-04-2003, 05:01 AM
Goddamnit, if you're not going to read everything posted on a topic at least do your own research.

balamm
08-04-2003, 05:09 AM
You're missing the fact that this is not a criminal matter.
If they provide evidence against you based on an invasion of privacy, you May sue. Especially if it's likely that you could prove a case of malicious prosecution. If you are randomly scanned, then you may not be advertising files for upload. You might only be doing a speed test, using various files and protocols as I do sometimes. We must keep our servers in top shape you know ;)

Anyway, The point is to think "outside the box".
If you assume you are guilty of a crime, you probably will be found liable.

3RA1N1AC
08-04-2003, 05:19 AM
Originally posted by balamm@3 August 2003 - 17:57
there's a difference between port-scanning someone's computer and finding vulnerabilities to gain access to your private data... and simply logging onto a fileshare netwerk and looking at your shared folder.

the latter is completely public information that you are advertising to people. and if you're worried about the former, then use a router or firewall or both in order to increase your privacy level.

peepeehead09
08-04-2003, 05:58 AM
Yea, you're right balamm

I guess I went retarded for a minut there.

They cannot use an illigal method to prosecute you.

Anyways, I'm thinking all you really need to do is protect your self from your ISP. This is probably the best way to protect yourself from IRAA.

Anybody know any ways to mask things you download? (illegal or legal)

Skank
08-04-2003, 06:19 AM
Originally posted by peepeehead09@4 August 2003 - 17:58

Which is why there is a certain congress man trying to pass a bill that allows the hacking of p2p users,sanctioned DoS attacks on users who persist in sharing copyrighted material

its a war out there, reap the whirl wind RIAA, reap it!!!!

james_bond_rulez
08-04-2003, 06:23 AM
i password protect all of my partitions. so even if i just open windows explorer the computer asks me for password. so i guess RIAA cant see shit

james_bond_rulez
08-04-2003, 11:11 AM
;)

tracydani
08-04-2003, 12:21 PM
Why do people keep thinking that the RIAA is scanning their computers?

What they do to catch you is to use the same exact file sharing program we are all using. We all know the program is not illegal so why would the RIAA/MPAA get in trouble using it to find out what files you are SHARING?

Like 3RA1N1AC said, scanning and using a p2p app. is not the same thing.

And I don't think that password protecting your partitions helps because they are getting you for SHARING files that are copywrighted. I would imagine that they do not need your computer to prove it or else we would be hearing about police knocking on peoples doors instead of letters being sent to those busted.

TD

$nax
08-04-2003, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Skank+4 August 2003 - 06:19--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Skank @ 4 August 2003 - 06:19)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-peepeehead09@4 August 2003 - 17:58

Which is why there is a certain congress man trying to pass a bill that allows the hacking of p2p users,sanctioned DoS attacks on users who persist in sharing copyrighted material

its a war out there, reap the whirl wind RIAA, reap it&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; [/b][/quote]

Reap the whirl wind RIAA, reap it&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;
Please tell me you have just watched Young Guns I............

rick4ang
08-04-2003, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by balamm@4 August 2003 - 05:09
You&#39;re missing the fact that this is not a criminal matter.
If they provide evidence against you based on an invasion of privacy, you May sue. Especially if it&#39;s likely that you could prove a case of malicious prosecution. If you are randomly scanned, then you may not be advertising files for upload. You might only be doing a speed test, using various files and protocols as I do sometimes. We must keep our servers in top shape you know ;)

Anyway, The point is to think "outside the box".
If you assume you are guilty of a crime, you probably will be found liable.
That&#39;s why, if I get caught, I&#39;m hiring Johnny Cochran cause he&#39;s my ni**er. That guy is a rebel. I&#39;m sure that he&#39;ll take this case if I pay him the right amount of &#036;&#036;&#036;.

I&#39;m sure that people will start suing the RIAA soon for issuing misproper information and no legal right to issue subpeonas without giving an idividual a chance to defend him or herself. The RIAA is currently violating the First Amendment of the law and even the DMCA currently states that there is no law to ask an ISP for information pertaining to an individuals IP. Peer to Peer did not exist prior to 1998 when the DMCA was created.

So there, :P