PDA

View Full Version : Optical Mouse Still On When Pc Off!

aintgottime
08-04-2003, 01:28 AM
Just bought a new motherboard. Installed windows and everything else again for the new board. However when i shut down my optical mouse stays lit up?!?!?!? Everything else is off apart from this. It is connected via ps/2 and Im running XP, anything I can do to make it turn off to??

Thanx in advance aintgottime

callum
08-04-2003, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by aintgottime@4 August 2003 - 02:28
Just bought a new motherboard. Installed windows and everything else again for the new board. However when i shut down my optical mouse stays lit up?!?!?!? Everything else is off apart from this. It is connected via ps/2 and Im running XP, anything I can do to make it turn off to??

It's always happened with mine.
I thought it was meant to be like that.
It won't really waste any power, so I'm not bothered about it.

sparsely
08-04-2003, 02:26 AM
It's probably a battery powered light.

I.am
08-04-2003, 02:27 AM
If it has batteries then it wont turn off unless you take batteries off. If it is connected to your computer for power too then you can just shut off the power supply it will shut off.
It doesnt really matter if its on though!

boyzeee
08-04-2003, 02:28 AM
definately batterys if it optical :wacko:

boyzeee
08-04-2003, 02:30 AM
sorry! is it cordless? coz im wrong if it aint :blink:

aintgottime
08-04-2003, 10:57 AM
its not cordless! If I run it via USB it turns off, but via ps/2 it dont!

balamm
08-04-2003, 11:50 AM
Are you actually turning the computer off or just going into hibernation or standby? If the computer is shut down completely, there should be no power to the PS/2 inputs or any connector other than the power switch.

james_bond_rulez
08-04-2003, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by aintgottime@4 August 2003 - 01:28

mine does that too

it's normal

aintgottime
08-04-2003, 12:05 PM
a proper shut down for the last time. i think it maybe cos i have keyboard power on for the keyboard, so maybe the board leaves power going to both mouse and keyboard!

Somebody1234
08-04-2003, 12:29 PM
Try actually shutting off the switch in the back. The one on the power supply.

There is power to the motherboard as long as that switch is on.

Edit: typo

Cygnuz-Y
08-04-2003, 01:29 PM
I have the same prob. and my PSU doesn't have a switch what i do is unplugg the mouse everytime BUT its kind of anoying...

I used to have a logitech mouse and it turned off, but my new CLEAR optical mouse doesn't...

:(

sparsely
08-04-2003, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Somebody1234
There is power to the motherboard as long as that switch is on.

Exactly....and if it's USB it could still be getting a trickle of power...
but it's probably just a light. My logitech mouse, though it's PS/2, has a light on the
bottom of it, just to make it look cool. I suppose they may use a small battery if they
wanted it to look cool all the time... <_<

If you&#39;re really concerned, why not check the manufacturer&#39;s website?

apunkrockmonk
08-05-2003, 12:19 AM
mine did this, I just used it as USB, problem solved, turns off when computer does.

boyzeee
08-05-2003, 12:33 AM
if the power is still connected to ya pc then there is a slight amount of power in ps/2 ports for waking the computer from keyboard or mouse even if this option isnt enabled in bios, im pretty sure this applies to most mobo&#39;s. :D

ehnoismemu
08-05-2003, 02:59 AM
unplug the computer power cord from the wall and the mouse light will go off.

3RA1N1AC
08-05-2003, 04:37 AM
Originally posted by aintgottime@4 August 2003 - 02:57
its not cordless&#33; If I run it via USB it turns off, but via ps/2 it dont&#33;
if the mouse is a USB device, i guess you&#39;re using a PS/2 adapter... which begs the question...

... why do you need to have it plugged into the PS/2 port? are you using a non-Windows OS that doesn&#39;t support the mouse via USB? :blink:

balamm
08-05-2003, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by boyzeee@5 August 2003 - 01:33
if the power is still connected to ya pc then there is a slight amount of power in ps/2 ports for waking the computer from keyboard or mouse even if this option isnt enabled in bios, im pretty sure this applies to most mobo&#39;s. :D
Not any computer I&#39;ve ever seen. The only wake function is from standby or hibernation. Which would mean that the computer is Not shut off. The motherboard does have power to it at al times as long as the power supply is switched on but the power does not pass to the PS/2 ports or any ports unless pin 14 is shorted to a ground pin or some other ground.

boyzeee
08-05-2003, 12:03 PM
ive just checked all the pins on the ps/2 ports on both my pc&#39;s with my multimeter and yeh you right, my mistake :rolleyes: , perhaps its his power supply not switching correctly or his mouse in windows is set to "use this device to wake up pc" or bios stuffed or or or who can say :D turn the bloody thing off at the wall or get a new mouse ;)

lynx
08-05-2003, 12:40 PM
Check your bios power-on settings. If you can power on via the keyboard, there must be power to the ps/2 ports, which includes the mouse port.

Edit: It&#39;s only using a few milliamps for god&#39;s sake, put a cover over it if it is keeping you awake.

aintgottime
08-05-2003, 12:43 PM
I think this has got a bit out of hand. I was only asking just neva experienced this before. I want to thank you all for your help, better than what microsoft were&#33;