PDA

View Full Version : what will be the end with waffles??

BlueLabel
03-11-2008, 02:37 PM
for some long period time I dont see any download in waffles, there is no leechers at all what makes it hard to download cause you cannot upload your download back.
is sad that music tracker like that can be used by users.
what you guys think will end with this trackers??
are we still going to hold our accounts without using them??
I think waffles staff sould do something about it.

life
03-11-2008, 02:40 PM
Well I don't wanna fall back in an old OiNK story but I think a few music sites which appeared after OiNK should get the hands together and make 1 good tracker, not 4 different ones. That is my opinion, else it will be done soon with the trackers. The advantage of having one tracker is that all leechers and seeders must go there, plus a torrent is only on that site which means you don't need to switch over and over from tracker to find the album you are looking for.

SAM
03-11-2008, 03:05 PM
i dunno buddy but every time i enter there i feel the same thing.
where are the leechers?

dunson
03-11-2008, 03:09 PM
Invite me and I'll leech away. ;)

soulreaper
03-11-2008, 03:10 PM
"Hard to seed" in waffles is an understatement.
I suppose they could have a warning system where warnings are issued for overseeders. Just a thought.

SkyW
03-11-2008, 03:22 PM
what.cd is almost the same

FileZ
03-11-2008, 03:29 PM
open for signup ;)

5+4=9
03-11-2008, 03:34 PM
What upsets me in waffles is the site being overloaded most of the time

and they disabled forum search :dry:

soulreaper
03-11-2008, 03:42 PM

In case you missed it :-

https://www.waffles.fm/pic/minus.gif Easing Overloads posted by michelle (http://www.waffles.fm/userdetails.php?id=484) on Mar-11-08
We're just as tired as you guys are (if not more) of the overloads with every other click of the mouse.
In order to try to ease some of the server strain, we're taking a few temporary steps until the RAID card arrives. These steps are:

- Disabling the Top 10
- Enforcing occasional tracker timeouts

This will, hopefully give you guys a bit of an easier time trying to use the site.
We'd like to stress that these changes are only temporary during the wait, and are in place simply to enable better browsing of the site.

Lastly, if you do get some overloads - please try not to give into temptation and f5 the site like mad - it compounds the problem.

Thanks guys! Hang in there, and maybe color a Waffler (https://www.waffles.fm/forums.php?action=viewtopic&topicid=12553) https://www.waffles.fm/pic/smilies/grin.gif

It would be nice if they'd introduce seedtime bonus system. That would majorly help out people with poor upload speed.

eits
03-11-2008, 03:43 PM

i totally agree. overloaded message... it makes me have a headache. :frusty:

BlueLabel
03-11-2008, 03:53 PM
any chance for a comment form waffles staff?? maybe they work on something to solve this problem??

nsk
03-11-2008, 04:02 PM
A big invite drive would help, but I guess they need to wait until the server can cope with the load, it defiantly needs more users/leechers as does what.cd, it just highlights even more how good oink really was.

BOOM
03-11-2008, 04:08 PM
It would be nice if they'd introduce seedtime bonus system. That would majorly help out people with poor upload speed.

I agree with u!! waffles needs a bonus system:cool:

For build a good ratio, i always have to search for "advance 2008" and download the most recente files!!

But the the lack of leechers is a problem not only in waffles but also in what.cd!!

Lee1
03-11-2008, 04:08 PM
Hehe, I need into waffles + what.cd also

eurovox
03-11-2008, 04:14 PM
Seeding is a problem on waffles. I have a ratio of over 6.5 as i leave a few popular files seeding and over the weeks my ratio slowly climes up.

1000possibleclaws
03-11-2008, 04:26 PM
the only way i get upload on waffles is by uploading my albums, and they never get more than 1 or 2 snatches, besides a small ep that got 7.. so yeah i cant really leech much because i started with no buffer

VIZFX
03-11-2008, 04:35 PM
Once they get their technical difficulties fix, they need to get more members, which in turn hopefully means more leechers. They should start by giving out more invites and having a seed bonus system, imho.

Sanka113
03-11-2008, 04:37 PM
I really think that music tracker's should take one out of the iTS book, and go no ratio, plus seed bonus, but enforce HnR. If this happened people wouldn't be afraid to leech like they are now.

JROQuinn
03-11-2008, 04:42 PM
I suppose they could have a warning system where warnings are issued for overseeders. Just a thought.

Dont you mean warning for no seeders? so many upload but dont seed.

zedex
03-11-2008, 04:54 PM
the problem there is not overseeding , its very small files usually so even when u upload something of your own you wont get more then a couple of hundred MEGA for it . what they need to do is a seed bonus system like in TTi so that ppl can transfer the points to some gigs in their ratio.

soulreaper
03-11-2008, 04:55 PM

Dont you mean warning for no seeders? so many upload but dont seed.

No,i meant issuing warnings for people who seed above 3 or 4 per torrent. That would allow other users with lesser bandwidth to seed back.

AugustoP
03-11-2008, 05:08 PM
Despite the constant timeouts I upload at Waffles just fine.

tgp
03-11-2008, 05:52 PM
Remember, one big music tracker also means one easy target for piracy police. I'm happy with the current situation. I think they deliberately keep their user base small because more users = more attention from riaa/bpi etc.

1000possibleclaws
03-11-2008, 05:55 PM
they should give upload cred just for uploading an album :) it's almost not worth uploading anymore for the 0-1 snatches and +-100 megs per album

Lowfront
03-11-2008, 06:50 PM
more users is the worst idea...

the day what and waffles goes in oink direction with massive users bases will be the end of my loving for waffles.

I see no problem with the situation its a music tracker just like oink its generally hard to seed on.

Anyone that can't keep a ratio on these site don't deserve to be there. Its really not hard at all.

BlueLabel
03-11-2008, 07:11 PM
the site is on static condition, there is no leechers at all. if waffles staff wont do somthing fast the site wont survive for long/

rogerse
03-11-2008, 07:23 PM
Wow, all these ppl basically wanting to slow the site down just because of they're poor connection/seeding.

go to public trackers, no ratio needed there.

03-11-2008, 07:24 PM
Disagree totally

Both sites are fantastic! Found just about everything I've searched for

I'm a power user on what and nearly a PU on Waff, didn't take much effort at all

Oink was just the same, not much leechers - that's what you get when most files are only 100meg or so.

IMO both sites will just keep getting better and better, with 'what' possibly coming out on top!

:)

cRaZyzMaN
03-11-2008, 08:19 PM
open for signup ;)

indeed my friend, that will increase the leeching

:D

Night0wl
03-11-2008, 09:17 PM
I really think that music tracker's should take one out of the iTS book, and go no ratio, plus seed bonus, but enforce HnR. If this happened people wouldn't be afraid to leech like they are now.

I highly disagree with that. This is a music tracker, not some general 0-day tracker. Doing that will have many users seeding for 3 days and then deleting the torrent. A music tracker like that is supposed to be a music library where album, new and old, are available for long times.

A seeding bonus of some sorts might be a good idea though, but what hurts trackers like this the most is the people that come to FST and the likes and preach that there are no leechers, and by doing this make people afraid to download, which in turn makes it an even bigger problem than before.

If you can't survive on a tracker that you need to seed for long times and maybe upload your own stuff, then maybe you aren't supposed to be there.

I maybe started out with a 5GB bonus, but that 5GB buffer has just grown for the most part into the about 13GB buffer I have now. The only thing I have done is download what I wanted and seeded it. I have downloaded at least 14GB + whatever I have downloaded when the counter was reset because of problems.

Every time someone creates a stupid thread like this, filling peoples heads with ideas, you kill trackers like Waffles one step at a time.

And BTW have a look at the ratio requirements. Not everyone can be PowerUsers, which means depending on your stats you only need between 0.15 and 0.5 ratio. Now go download something instead of preaching this propaganda.

Gish
03-11-2008, 09:25 PM
wow people are actully complaning about the amount of seeders!
BTW two sites are better than one so if one goes down there be another one to run to.

Swift
03-11-2008, 09:26 PM
open for signup ;)

indeed my friend, that will increase the leeching

:D

whats the user limit now ? maybe increasing the limit :whistling with a open signup or giveing invites to users

prima1
03-11-2008, 09:30 PM
I don't know about what and waffles since I am not a member,
but I used to have a 100GB buffered account on oink before it goes down, and I mainly uploaded applications to build it, so if these 2 new sites have only music it would make things more difficult but not impossible, problem is that even if you keep your downloads seeded for a very long periods of time, people with faster connections or seedboxes will get most of the upload, so unless you upload your own stuff it's very hard

Torn
03-11-2008, 09:39 PM
Your best bet is just seeding 24/7 if it's possible.

Has anyone here been banned for having a bad ratio at either What or Waffles? I think as long as you try, you'll be fine!

Vidde
03-11-2008, 09:49 PM
I'm more irritated at the lack of seeders... But it's the same thing; lack of leechers equals lack of seeders in the end. I've buffered my acc far then enough, but my problem is when I finally use it, which is far from often, I'm in some cases not able to leech the album or proggie at all, cause of the lack of seeders.. I think I've hit 40kb/sec once, but other then that, nah.. There are too many torrents with only 1 or 2 seeders..

Oh well, hope they'll do something, without growing too much, and without any seed points, it will destroy everything..

-Vidde

DarkLured
03-11-2008, 10:06 PM
I keep good ratios on both What and Waffles, even though I'm throttled by Comcast, I download a lot of music and I started at both with no buffer. Still, it can be difficult to keep up a good ratio given the relatively low number of leechers overall. As someone mentioned above, that is largely due to the nature of the site itself - it's a music tracker and it strives to have a very broad and deep selection of music (like Oink), so there is going to be a lot of stuff on the tracker that is not heavily in demand (e.g. old soul b-sides) and therefore will not be downloaded often.

So, what can you do? Seed what you download for a long time (I seed everything for 2-3 months, and much longer for less in-demand and poorly seeded albums). If you can't/won't do this, then a private music tracker is not for you.

As for what else can/should be done:

Seed bonus system - Good idea. It would help those who seed but are unable to upload a lot, it would encourage downloading (since people will be less worried about being unable to seed back older and less popular albums) and encourage seeding of underseeded torrents.

Overseed warning - Might be a good idea, as it could give other seeders a better chance to share back. However, it would need to be very carefully configured and limited (e.g. only warn overseeders on very well-seeded torrents, as you don't want to discourage seeders in general or hurt download speeds too much.

No ratio + hit-and-run enforcement - Not sure about this one. I worry that there is not enough incentive for people to continue seeding very old torrents. Waffles is intended to be a music archive, so keeping old torrents seeded is critical.

More users - Letting in more users just to increase leeching is a bad idea. As others have mentioned, if the site gets too large there is a greater risk of it being targeted by anti-piracy groups/authorities. The number of users should be allowed to increase slowly/gradually and in a way the site infrastructure is equipped to handle.

Open signups - Yeah right, great idea :dry:;)

Ratzy Rox
03-12-2008, 12:57 AM
Oink was no different, whats the problem?

Emma1979
03-12-2008, 06:39 AM
i definately agree with the seed bonus. It would encourage more use. I only dl torrents on these sites that i know i will at last get back a 1:1 ratio (only cos i leave my pc on 24/7).

dythim
03-12-2008, 07:09 AM
Once you build a new buffer, it's fairly easy to maintain a good ratio. It's not that difficult... even without a seedbox. Utilize free leech or double upload.

AugustoP
03-13-2008, 07:48 PM
I'm more irritated at the lack of seeders... But it's the same thing; lack of leechers equals lack of seeders in the end. I've buffered my acc far then enough, but my problem is when I finally use it, which is far from often, I'm in some cases not able to leech the album or proggie at all, cause of the lack of seeders.. I think I've hit 40kb/sec once, but other then that, nah.. There are too many torrents with only 1 or 2 seeders..

Oh well, hope they'll do something, without growing too much, and without any seed points, it will destroy everything..

-Vidde

Err, what kind of music are you after?

fOrUmAs
03-13-2008, 08:00 PM
they have much bigger problems than lack of leechers atm,even tho i dont agree with lack of leechers(u cant compare general site with music site) when i leech there is always and seeders and leechers to seedback:D

grimms
03-13-2008, 08:27 PM
for some long period time I dont see any download in waffles, there is no leechers at all what makes it hard to download cause you cannot upload your download back.
is sad that music tracker like that can be used by users.
what you guys think will end with this trackers??
are we still going to hold our accounts without using them??
I think waffles staff sould do something about it.

They've been having an overload problem. It's stated on the home page, that their working on a solution to satisfy everyone. Have a lookie yourself.;)

Pzero
03-13-2008, 09:23 PM
I'm sure this was said, but I'm not going to bother to read through it all.

Waffles has very few new seeders/leechers because the site has been virtually dead for the past week with site overloads. Plain and simple.

grimms
03-13-2008, 09:25 PM
I'm sure this was said, but I'm not going to bother to read through it all.

Waffles has very few new seeders/leechers because the site has been virtually dead for the past week with site overloads. Plain and simple.

^^^ above your post.;)

adissan
03-13-2008, 09:32 PM
Hope they don t go down like oink
I don t know what i would do if they do that :)

parky
03-13-2008, 09:58 PM
Its the same with what.cd no leechers so I just let my account close, download all my music from newsgroups now.

Annoyed
03-13-2008, 11:01 PM
I've always found more leechers at What.cd than Waffles. At least on the albums that I download. Seeding is much easier for me at What than Waffles.

They both need to get some more members though. I know neither want to get as big as Oink. But bringing up the userbase to 50-60,000 will probably do a lot of good.

tyman
03-13-2008, 11:12 PM
Well...you just have to learn to use the website, download the popular stuff. If you don't know how to keep a ratio, then you'd be better off giving it away. If you get too deep in the red zone, its very hard to come back.

colbert
03-14-2008, 06:58 PM
I've always found more leechers at What.cd than Waffles. At least on the albums that I download. Seeding is much easier for me at What than Waffles.

They both need to get some more members though. I know neither want to get as big as Oink. But bringing up the userbase to 50-60,000 will probably do a lot of good.

I agree. What.cd is much easier to seed on and my uploads there get many more snatches than on Waffles.

fartmaster
03-14-2008, 10:25 PM
I can see STMusic overtaking both of them soon.

aarik111
03-14-2008, 11:27 PM
Torrent snobs overseeding bringing a site to its knees. Leechers are good.

orfik
03-14-2008, 11:29 PM
I can see STMusic overtaking both of them soon.

Lol. LOL. lolololol. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH OOOOOOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOH OHOHOH HAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH HAAHAHAHA HA HAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH OOOOOOHOHOHOHOHOHOHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH HAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH HEEEHEHEHEHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHH WOOOOHOOOOHOHOHOH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA BUUUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :lol:

fartmaster
03-15-2008, 03:02 AM
Mature response there. Obviously a Waffles customer.

Annoyed
03-15-2008, 03:09 AM
STmusic has gotten a lot better. I can see them getting as good as What/Waffles pretty soon.

pbjabba
03-15-2008, 03:19 AM
Aw... whats with the STM hate? Granted it doesn't have the range (yet) of What or Waffles but its still a good source for music

TankGrrl
03-15-2008, 04:27 AM
STM rawks :)

orfik
03-17-2008, 09:38 AM
You've all got to be kidding me. STmusic is a joke. Even Libble is better.

Annoyed
03-17-2008, 09:43 AM
Yeah, right. STmusic is tons better than Libble.

Like others mentioned, it's not the greatest site, but it's not crap like it used to be. After OiNK went down, a ton of people went there, and a lot are still there and upping. Obviously What and Waffles are better, but I wouldn't call STmusic a "joke". That would be Libble.

barnes
03-17-2008, 02:50 PM

waffles is a ghost town.
nobody dares to download anything.

RoboFace
03-17-2008, 03:16 PM

waffles is a ghost town.
nobody dares to download anything.

Really ?? Wow.. It is not easy to become power user at What..
I guess, I have a lot of work to do on new Waffle account..:pinch:

Annoyed
03-17-2008, 07:10 PM
I hit power user easily at What, i still haven't hit at Waffles(just a few gb's short). But I haven't been upping any of my own stuff lately. Once it picks up there again, I'll start upping.

Upping your own shit is the best way to build a buffer at music sites. Especially if you have a slow connection.

Dark Archon
03-19-2008, 12:56 AM
It seems like partial seed never works on music sites, not even on the big language packs, I don't know why