PDA

View Full Version : What is the best client for mac?

cowswithoutass
03-11-2008, 07:52 PM
Im using azureus atm and its a bit of a beasty program, i was wondering if there was anything better?

sovaz
03-11-2008, 09:02 PM
The best client for mac IS azureus...I agree it might b beasty in term of system resources but considering all these advanced options, there is no better than Azureus.

cowswithoutass
03-11-2008, 09:32 PM
thanks

1000possibleclaws
03-11-2008, 09:35 PM
check out transmission and see what you think of it

dunson
03-12-2008, 01:04 AM
Transmission is great, but it has problems seeding and can eat up your computer when you've got a bunch of big torrents running almost as much as Azureus. Although Azureus is really just awful.
I think rTorrent is even better. Very lightweight and surprisingly easy to use. Check it out at MacPorts and PM me if you (or anyone just reading this) has questions about setting it up.

I did a few informal tests the other day and uTorrent in Cross Over ate up 40-50% of my Intel Core 2 Duo. Azureus was just behind it around 25-40% depending on what it was doing. Transmission is nice and light at like 10-20% when its working hard, but rTorrent rarely hits 10% and is usually below 1% unless hashing or just starting up.

Grind$oFine
03-12-2008, 03:01 AM
I like Transmission a lot, but it's doesn't really work well with all my trackers. They all allow it, but I'd have problems with the tracker even acknowledging that I was leeching/seeding. And my stats weren't recording, and it was a mess.

I always switch back to Azureus, no matter which client I try.

fsephie
03-12-2008, 06:04 AM
I prefer rTorrent, and have that running on my main computer as well as my seedbox.

Personally, I think all the "extra features" of azureus are overrated and do little for 99% of the given end users. On the other hand, I would definitely say that transmission is lacking in some aspects caused by their rigid stance on what a torrent client "is" and what it "ain't."

cowswithoutass
03-17-2008, 11:56 PM
where do i get rtorrent and transmission from?

Grind$oFine
03-18-2008, 12:59 AM
where do i get rtorrent and transmission from?

http://www.transmissionbt.com/download.php
There's Transmission.

rTorrent is more complex. It's a Linux app and you have to install it using Terminal commands. I can't remember where I found the tutorial on how to do it.

tyman
03-18-2008, 02:39 AM
transmission is the shit now...all others I don't use anymore