PDA

View Full Version : what.cd uses user donations for seedbox to fix ratio economy

kingsford
03-17-2008, 06:44 PM
have any of you heard of this? they used user donations to buy a dedicated box and use it to seed back to their own site to improve their sites ratio as a whole. they have deleted pastebin.ca entries from their staff channel and deleted threads in their own forums about it. but recently a thread started that they could not ignore and whatman had to come in and LIE THROUGH HIS TEETH to get them out of this mess. there is also a 4chan tread about it

but beware, WhatMan is going around lying his ass off to cover this up. don't believe him

here is the 4chan thread and a WD page about it.

http://zip.4chan.org/mu/res/1062546.html#q1065829
http://www.encyclopediadramatica.com/What.cd

tesco
03-17-2008, 07:24 PM
Why do they have to cover that up?
I fail to see what they have to be ashamed about :unsure:

Skiz
03-17-2008, 08:14 PM

I think members would rather see their donations going towards making the site better and faster, not juking the stats. :dabs:

SgtMajor
03-17-2008, 09:22 PM

I think members would rather see their donations going towards making the site better and faster, not juking the stats. :dabs:

Just telling the truth with clarity & openness is also good for the members, without members there is no site, no matter how much money is involved.

DarkLured
03-17-2008, 10:18 PM
Not sure how I feel about this one, in part because I'm a little confused :lol:

If the seedbox is merely intended to help boost people's ratios a bit by downloading torrents, then I'd say it's a poor use of donation money and pretty lame. But if the seedbox is used mainly to help seed poorly-seeded torrents, that would be good for the site. What are they actually using this seedbox for?

dunson
03-17-2008, 11:07 PM
Those IRC chats are hilarious. I'm not a member, but if I was, I don't think I'd really mind them using donations to fix the "economy". I don't see how that's a bad thing for the site.

Interesting read for the rest of the n00bs like me. Pretty informative.

slayer2005
03-18-2008, 01:07 AM
If there using it to improve speeds of torrents then whats wrong.
There adding 1 of the members user accounts in the sme procsess.
Nothing wrong with that in my eyes.
Mmebers benifiting from faster downloads.

slimdogp
03-18-2008, 02:14 AM
go for it, I say.

Using a seedbox for any purpose beats the money going into someone's pocket. Not to mention then just bought another monster server planned for colo

Keep up the good work what.cd, don't mind the haters

tyman
03-18-2008, 02:38 AM
I think What is fast enough...I mean, they don't need the server, but at least they use it on something

solaris
03-18-2008, 03:23 AM
i dont see a problem in it aleast they are making up for the lack of leechers and improving the overall ratio

chamaeleo
03-18-2008, 04:33 AM
have any of you heard of this?
but beware, WhatMan is going around lying his ass off to cover this up. don't believe him

What's your problem dude. I have a good mind to start flaming here. do you have some personal issues with whatman or something? is it your ratio? perhaps your name is 'jaspar'.. unless you care more about your donation than What itself this is a pretty pointless thread.

Peter
03-18-2008, 04:40 AM
I think what should have open signups for a week or so, that should fix their problem :)

athenaesword
03-19-2008, 04:40 AM
I think what should have open signups for a week or so, that should fix their problem :)

lol that's a terrible idea.

saint24th
03-19-2008, 05:01 AM
think What is fast enough..

AugustoP
03-19-2008, 06:14 AM
A number of sites uses donations to rent servers and slots at scene dumps, what's wrong with it?

PS. I've read the logs and haven't understand a thing. What is the ratio economy they keep talking about?

Unstable1
03-19-2008, 06:58 AM
i dont see a problem here.

if the donations are used in whatever way is necessary to improve or keep alive the site, then great.