PDA

View Full Version : Make A Donation

SgtMajor
03-17-2008, 07:58 PM
wtf is all that about??

And interesting results when you google the email in question.

Looks like it's all about /just show me the money/ sadly.

Can it go downhill any faster?

100%
03-17-2008, 08:04 PM
indeed

Skiz
03-17-2008, 08:06 PM
wtf is all that about??

Can it go downhill any faster?

Would you like more ads to support the growing site or a small "Donate" button?

The shit ain't free ya know.

tesco
03-17-2008, 08:18 PM
wtf is all that about??

Can it go downhill any faster?Well, we could go back to how the forum was yesterday if you don't like the donate button. :whistling

SgtMajor
03-17-2008, 08:31 PM
Well, we could go back to how the forum was yesterday if you don't like the donate button. :whistling

Yes please.

MultiForce
03-17-2008, 08:32 PM
wtf is all that about??

Can it go downhill any faster?Well, we could go back to how the forum was yesterday if you don't like the donate button. :whistling

Forget it!

Needs some sleep :P

JunkBarMan
03-17-2008, 08:41 PM
carry on..

Skiz
03-17-2008, 08:41 PM
Well, we could go back to how the forum was yesterday if you don't like the donate button. :whistling

Yes please.

Then replace your bookmark with this. The rest of us will continue to enjoy the forum. :happy:

http://www.thispagecannotbedisplayed.com/

bigboab
03-17-2008, 08:50 PM
Do pensioners get free?:cry:

RealitY
03-17-2008, 08:51 PM
The funds would be for the site and possible upgrades also...

SgtMajor
03-17-2008, 09:02 PM
Yes please.

Then replace your bookmark with this. The rest of us will continue to enjoy the forum. :happy:

Typical, don't question what is going on, just fuck off if you don't like it, great attitude.

Mr JP Fugley
03-17-2008, 09:26 PM
Nothing wrong with having a donate button. Pretty much every filesharing site I use has one, so why not have one here. I believe I expressed that opinion quite some considerable time ago.

Thanks for getting the site back up and running chaps and for your ongoing efforts in keeping it going. Very much appreciated.

tesco
03-17-2008, 09:34 PM
Ok, seriously, I have no problem throwing a few bucks your way. I honestly don't know what I would do, at least right away, without this site.

My question is: what are you planning to do with the lewtz? Is it pay for your time? Upgrades for servers? Money to keep the site going?The funds definately won't be going into anyone's pocket.
This site has never made a profit in its' life.:lol:

Skiz
03-17-2008, 10:34 PM

Typical, don't question what is going on, just fuck off if you don't like it, great attitude.

Well, it wasn't really a discussion that we asked for input on, tbh.

rossco suggested that we could go back to how the forum was yesterday (offline) if you didn't like it, essentially stating the same thing. Your reply was in the affirmative so I gave you a link that would allow you to do just that. What's the problem?

The point is, the board is growing and requires more money to support itself than it once did, so additional revenue is needed. When a site comes to that crossroads, there are three choices:

-Close the site.
-Put up more ads.
-Try out a donations button/system.

I think anyone would agree that the latter is the best and least obtrusive method.

What do you see as the problem with it, in that it is a negative thing?

SgtMajor
03-17-2008, 10:52 PM

rossco suggested that we could go back to how the forum was yesterday (offline) if you didn't like it, essentially stating the same thing. Your reply was in the affirmative so I gave you a link that would allow you to do just that. What's the problem?

The point is, the board is growing and requires more money to support itself than it once did, so additional revenue is needed. When a site comes to that crossroads, there are three choices:

-Close the site.
-Put up more ads.

I think anyone would agree that the latter is the best and least obtrusive method.

The "problem" is your lack of humour for one.

1. How much is required per month to run the board after ads have been taken into account.

2. How much do you expect to receive from members donations.

3. Will all members be eligible to donate, poor noobs won't know any difference and could possibly think they need to donate to access certain areas, only members eligible to participate in all areas of the forum should be allowed to donate.

4. What happens to extra money that is donated.

5. How will the members know how much has been donated vs how much is needed for that month/year.

6. Clarity, openness & honesty is what I am asking for, is that too much to actually ask for?

That's just off the top of my head, no doubt there will be other pertinent questions as things progress.

phrenzy
03-17-2008, 11:19 PM

You expecting anything different................:blink:

Brandon
03-17-2008, 11:25 PM
hi

Mr JP Fugley
03-17-2008, 11:45 PM
What's the problem here.

There's a donate button, donate or do something else. Stop complaining just for the sake of it.

Again I think I've posted something similar before.

weenden
03-18-2008, 12:06 AM
cmon skizo wit all dat money you got i no one day shootin at some food and up through the ground came some bubling crude ....ahhh sorry got you confused wit someone else :)

Brandon
03-18-2008, 12:19 AM
I'm not going to get into it, I now know why the change was made.
All I can say is having ads and a donate button don't look good.

And for your own sake, learn to administrate a server rather than spending a lot of money for others to do it. You'll be grateful in the long run.

Snee
03-18-2008, 01:03 AM
Donate or do something else, bitches. Like JP says most sites of the internets have ads and/or donate-buttons, it's nothing unusual.

I'm with Weenden here otherwise. Skizo should go shoot up some food, he can afford it.

Skiz
03-18-2008, 03:20 AM

-Close the site.
-Put up more ads.

The "problem" is your lack of humour for one.

1. How much is required per month to run the board after ads have been taken into account.

2. How much do you expect to receive from members donations.

3. Will all members be eligible to donate, poor noobs won't know any difference and could possibly think they need to donate to access certain areas, only members eligible to participate in all areas of the forum should be allowed to donate.

4. What happens to extra money that is donated.

5. How will the members know how much has been donated vs how much is needed for that month/year.

6. Clarity, openness & honesty is what I am asking for, is that too much to actually ask for?

That's just off the top of my head, no doubt there will be other pertinent questions as things progress.

I thought my link was quite humorous. Sorry you didn't find it so. :snooty:

As for all the other questions, they aren't something that is even discussed with mods, so I wouldn't expect to get much (if anything) in the way of concrete numbers. Though as rossco said, the site is usually upside down, so that says enough for me. Don't expect for the sites financial gains/losses to be posted for public inspection.

Like JP said, donate... or don't. Either way, I still don't see how it could be detrimental to the forum. :idunno:

Barbarossa
03-18-2008, 09:40 AM
...or even detrimental :whistling

Skiz
03-18-2008, 10:29 AM
:lol:

Where the heck did I get that spelling from? The C is nowhere close to the T. :lol:

Snee
03-18-2008, 10:40 AM
UR still doing it rong.

Skiz
03-18-2008, 10:51 AM
Guess I shot the pooch on that one. :pinch:

manker
03-18-2008, 11:24 AM
So long as the attitude is donate or do something else, that's fine.

I think if it changed to donate and bypass the 28 days waiting time for access to the bit-torrent invite section or donate and get extra BT reputation then it would be a bad thing.

If the owner of the bored wanted to make money by exploiting newbs with nary a sidewards glance at what's best for filesharing and BT in particular, it would be easy and that donation button would be essential to that end.

Good thing he doesn't.

Barbarossa
03-18-2008, 12:24 PM

It's just the email address of Brian, who bought the forum a few years ago.

http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/p-introducing-new-admin-fst33-post688656/postcount1

It takes money to keep a site up and running. If not enough revenue is coming in from the google ads, then a donation button seems like a good idea.

This site makes very little money, if any. Someone has to pay for the cost of the server and the server support. If Brian decides he's losing too much money he'll just pull the plug. He hasn't up until now because he likes us :mellow:

Snee
03-18-2008, 03:29 PM

http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/p-introducing-new-admin-fst33-post688656/postcount1

It takes money to keep a site up and running. If not enough revenue is coming in from the google ads, then a donation button seems like a good idea.

This site makes very little money, if any. Someone has to pay for the cost of the server and the server support. If Brian decides he's losing too much money he'll just pull the plug. He hasn't up until now because he likes us :mellow:

That's pretty much proof he's completely insane :dabs:

=-=-

I feel we've veered off course a tad now.

The answer to the original question would be: Yes it can.

:mellow:

Polarbear
03-18-2008, 05:31 PM

indeed: http://www.code4.com/blog/2008/01/28/idetrorce-spam-bot-attack-linked-to-brian-krassenstein-of-talkgoldcom/

Something Else
03-18-2008, 07:10 PM
Can I have a donate button in my sig. :sly:

bunny67
03-18-2008, 07:25 PM
lol @benchez

tesco
03-18-2008, 09:50 PM

indeed: http://www.code4.com/blog/2008/01/28/idetrorce-spam-bot-attack-linked-to-brian-krassenstein-of-talkgoldcom/I had no idea brian and ed were that famous :blink:

Brandon
03-18-2008, 09:53 PM

Trust me, there should plenty of money coming in from those ads. I can't say anything b/c it's not my place to and I refuse to get involved publicly with things that aren't my business anymore. I think you and I both know what's going on though, and if you don't then you aren't paying attention very closely lol. I'd be shocked if I was told things that you (being staff here) were not.

Personally I've realized discussion on this is pointless, b/c nothing said or done will change anything. If you feel this change was made out of idiocy or greed, best thing you can do is just not donate. All I can say.

phrenzy
03-18-2008, 11:00 PM
indeed: http://www.code4.com/blog/2008/01/28/idetrorce-spam-bot-attack-linked-to-brian-krassenstein-of-talkgoldcom/I had no idea brian and ed were that famous :blink:

famous in a bad way though

Something Else
03-19-2008, 07:44 AM
I had no idea brian and ed were that famous :blink:

famous in a bad way though

As in infamous..... :badabumdeesh:

Oh noes. :unsure:

Barbarossa
03-19-2008, 09:33 AM
Trust me, there should plenty of money coming in from those ads. I can't say anything b/c it's not my place to and I refuse to get involved publicly with things that aren't my business anymore. I think you and I both know what's going on though, and if you don't then you aren't paying attention very closely lol. I'd be shocked if I was told things that you (being staff here) were not.

You'd be surprised at how little "staff" here are told about what's really going on :mellow:

Skiz
03-19-2008, 09:34 AM
There's stuff going on? :unsure:

manker
03-19-2008, 09:55 AM
I think the donation button should be different so that people know that they don't have to donate.

Here's one I made earlier:

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/6637/donationfo5.png

Barbarossa
03-19-2008, 10:13 AM
For the fucking win! :lol:

Mr JP Fugley
03-19-2008, 08:44 PM
I think the donation button should be different so that people know that they don't have to donate.

Here's one I made earlier:

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/6637/donationfo5.png

:glag: The boy's a comedy genious.:glag:

tesco
03-19-2008, 10:22 PM

You'd be surprised at how little "staff" here are told about what's really going on :mellow:There's not usually anything to tell you.:blink:

Barbarossa
03-19-2008, 10:35 PM
Just a couple of sentences every so often, it's not too much to ask :emo:

weenden
03-19-2008, 10:40 PM
you sure he wasnt shooting at some crude .....or was that jed ...i dunno mind is going

Barbarossa
03-19-2008, 10:54 PM
You'd be surprised at how little "staff" here are told about what's really going on :mellow:There's not usually anything to tell you.:blink:

Anyway, fix my bug report you, or do something else :blink:

_coder_
03-19-2008, 11:06 PM
So how many of you have donated....as of yet..

Sextent
03-19-2008, 11:15 PM
So how many of you have donated....as of yet..

How many of you have donated first.

skishoe
03-21-2008, 09:37 AM
i thought a huge site like this would make a lot of profit from ads . guess am wrong , then how do similiar sites like these survive which doesnt have a donate option . just curios :unsure:

Mr JP Fugley
03-21-2008, 12:32 PM
I really couldn't give a feck if people make a profit from this or do something else. That affects me not one jot. In fact if they did then they would be more likely to keep it going.

Chaps are providing a service which I use, good on them.

escuoop
03-22-2008, 03:57 PM
I think having a small button is much better than annoying adds

u don't have to don't have to donate.

invadercat
08-07-2008, 04:35 AM
whats the big fuss about a donation button???? ASFASIK this board is available for all of us as a free service. ability to use this is a privilege and not a right. people have to pay bills will real money you know. and if you guys are worried whether the admin will make a profit out of it... what the heck? whats wrong with making a profit out of it? i don't understand your mentality people.... i really don't.