PDA

View Full Version : Bandwith Caps

IdolEyes787
03-18-2008, 07:44 PM
I presently have an account with a service provider which strictly enforces a 60GB cap. It doesn't allow me leave the computer on 24/7 to seed.
Besides that with 10000/640 speeds it requires real planning to try to maintain good ratios . I end up getting a lot of stuff I'm not interested in just so I can seed back and not getting things I want because they are too big.Changing ISPs isn't an option presently.
I was wondering if anyone was in the same boat and what practices that they might use?I know that I could download and seed less but I feel pretty committed to my trackers.

emperorIX
03-19-2008, 03:28 AM
Out of curiousity, why aren't you able to change ISPs? I ask this because I noticed that another company servicing Belleville is offering 15Mb/1Mb uncapped for $43/mo. But, this info may be outdated. Check out this website for more ISPs in your area: http://www.canadianisp.com/cgi-bin/ispsearch.cgi

Disme
03-19-2008, 09:38 AM
I also used to be with and ISP that capped my volume at 35 GB/month.
They had some system that if you downloaded or uploaded duren 0h00 and 10h00 you could down- or upload the same amount of GB's for half the 'price'.

So i installed netlimiter and only downloaded torrents during those hours thus doubling my capacity from 35 GB to 70 GB/month.

In the end I got tired of this and changed ISP ... now there is no more capping and no limits whatsoever. Much happier now. :lol:

IdolEyes787
03-19-2008, 12:42 PM
Out of curiousity, why aren't you able to change ISPs? I ask this because I noticed that another company servicing Belleville is offering 15Mb/1Mb uncapped for $43/mo. But, this info may be outdated. Check out this website for more ISPs in your area: http://www.canadianisp.com/cgi-bin/ispsearch.cgi
Wow, thanks man! Didn't know about the site or company.I will definitely have to look into it.
I said that I couldn't change because it's a package plan(tv,internet,phone) and I'm not the only person to consider in the house.But it looks like a great deal and never say never.
Again thanks for the advice, it's very much appreciated.

AugustoP
03-19-2008, 12:54 PM
I presently have an account with a service provider which strictly enforces a 60GB cap. It doesn't allow me leave the computer on 24/7 to seed.
Besides that with 10000/640 speeds it requires real planning to try to maintain good ratios . I end up getting a lot of stuff I'm not interested in just so I can seed back and not getting things I want because they are too big.Changing ISPs isn't an option presently.
I was wondering if anyone was in the same boat and what practices that they might use?I know that I could download and seed less but I feel pretty committed to my trackers.

1. Set up your torrent client not to stop the torrents with ratio of 1.0 or whatever you think is suitable.
2. Get a dedicated server for a month. With a terabyte or two uploaded you don't have to worry about overall ratio for a long time.

sleepyy
03-19-2008, 04:29 PM
Newsgroups/rapidshare you have no obligation to maintain any ratio just extra money rapidshare has alot of stuff but you have to look around a little more and it's quite cheap at £5 per month. newsgroups are a little more but you get what you pay for lots of stuff a very fast service.

downloading whole files you don't need just to maintain a basic ratio where's the fun in that? there's no need to you can perfectly keep up in most places without having to resort to such tactics also you are wasting your very limited cap.

Download a sample and just seed download a few rar files 3/4 and just seed those this will help to maintain a good ratio without having to download the useless files that are not going to be used meaning not downloading 100% of the torrent.

Also you can partial seed by downloading as much as you want from the torrent say 29 % is complete from your download then clicking on the files tab in utorrent highlight everything then once everything is highlighted just click don't download and it will just seed once you have a reasonably good ratio you can continue with the rest of the download by useing the same method highlight and clicking normal after this your download will continue as normal.

Seedboxes are another option ovh i'm currently useing. You can build a huge buffer and not have to worry about your ratio for a good year or so after you have built your ratio and contract has expired one month is good enough to build TBS of buffer you will have nothing to worry about:). Most places still require you to seed for a fixed time period but after that your fine to stop the torrent with your home connection.

IdolEyes787
03-19-2008, 05:32 PM
Thanks for the help guys. Good advice I'm sure. Hope that I can return the favor someday.