PDA

View Full Version : .avi with subtitles built in. Can they be removed?

vobilli
03-18-2008, 11:17 PM
I downloaded an English .avi movie with Swedish subtitles built in. Is there a way to remove/disable the subtitles? (There was no subtitle file included with the download.)

DKre8ive1
03-18-2008, 11:22 PM
Then that means they probably are hardcoded into the video so no you will not be able to remove them. Unless you are lucky and the subs are located in the part of the screen were the black bars are shown then maybe cropping the video to remove the black bars might work.

MaaxHimself
03-18-2008, 11:24 PM
Yes. If you have VLC player goto Video, video track and you should be able to disable them

vobilli
03-18-2008, 11:24 PM
Thanks DKre8ive1, that answers my question. I'll just have to download another version

Maax, that doesn't work for my situation. It doesn't give me an option to disable subtitles, only the entire video :(

amade
03-19-2008, 08:03 AM
Thanks DKre8ive1, that answers my question. I'll just have to download another version

Maax, that doesn't work for my situation. It doesn't give me an option to disable subtitles, only the entire video :(

If the subtitle can be turned off by VLC but there's no caption file such as .smi, probably this file will be in mkv, ogm, or similar formats in which captions are embedded in the file itself but in a systematical way (so, in this case, the current extension of that file is .avi, but originally it should be .mkv, .ogm, or something else). You can check it by looking at the file information in VLC.

Disme
03-19-2008, 10:09 AM
Yes. If you have VLC player goto Video, video track and you should be able to disable them

No, if they are hardcoded that means you cannot remove them. They are not selectable and are coded in the image. It is like a channel-logo, you cannot select to see it or not.

But it is possible to romove a channel-logo with some video-encoding programs.
So you could try to do the same thing with the subs. But it is a lot of hassle. I'd just re-download a decent version of the movie without subs, if I were you.

Good luck.

Daniel
03-19-2008, 10:24 AM
While what Disme said is (theoretically) possible you should be aware of the fact that each re-encoding process affects the image and video quality, so removing subtitles (and using whichever filters are suited best for that task) will not only fracture the movie at the place where subtitles currently appear but will also lower the quality of the rest of the screen.

That's a consequence I wouldn't want to accept, but then again I like a good quality picture ;)

dunson
03-19-2008, 11:52 AM
Why would you want to get rid of that cool looking language at the bottom of the screen? :P

grimms
03-19-2008, 11:06 PM
Then that means they probably are hardcoded into the video so no you will not be able to remove them. Unless you are lucky and the subs are located in the part of the screen were the black bars are shown then maybe cropping the video to remove the black bars might work.

Exactly.:yup: Unless your able to crop them, which in most cases you can't..Unless you want to render the avi file useless, it's not possible(Well it is, but it wouldn't be smart or wise). If it is soft subs? Then obviously you would just either disable the subtitles in a player like Gomplayer, VLC, KMP, MPC, or delete the sub text file from the same folder where the avi file is located on your hdd.

nelsonalanbegi
07-12-2013, 04:43 AM
i recommend idealshare videogo which can easily remove subtitles from various video format like mkv, avi, mp4, wmv, vob, and etc
just google search Step by Step Guide on How to Delete Subtitles from MKV, AVI, MP4, VOB, FLV, MPEG and etc
you will find a detailed guide

bobbintb
07-19-2013, 09:10 PM
i recommend idealshare videogo which can easily remove subtitles from various video format like mkv, avi, mp4, wmv, vob, and etc
just google search Step by Step Guide on How to Delete Subtitles from MKV, AVI, MP4, VOB, FLV, MPEG and etc
you will find a detailed guide

really? you decide to make your first post by reviving a 5 year old thread? aside from the fact that you are most likely just advertising your own product.

Bobwlove
11-04-2013, 09:23 AM
Maybe you can give Bigasoft Total Video Converter a try. My wife loves it more than me.

piercerseth
11-04-2013, 10:05 AM
Maybe you can give Bigasoft Total Video Converter a try. My wife loves it more than me.
Oh man, that's a fastball right down the plate. Speaking of letting your wife try things she loves more than you...
Just gonna wait on Meg or Idol to post something way more pithy than what I can muster.

IdolEyes787
11-04-2013, 11:57 AM
It's not your fault that you're not evil,pierce.

Anyway,and when I say this I'm assuming that you're not a member of Al-Qaeda or other terrorist organizations,I believe that faith deserves to be rewarded.So....

Obviously Bobwlove is actually valiantly trying to warn people away from TVC, as clearly this is a case of damning with faint praise.

Short list of other things that Bob's wife loves more than him.

Paper cuts
Hurricanes
Falling face first in fresh dog poo
Herpes
His brother Kevin.

zor
11-05-2013, 05:49 AM
I think I love bob more than #'s 3 & 4; maybe his wife is just too hard to please.

megabyteme
11-05-2013, 06:33 AM
Oh man, that's a fastball right down the plate. Speaking of letting your wife try things she loves more than you...
Just gonna wait on Meg or Idol to post something way more pithy than what I can muster.

Bob's wife says she would love him more if he did not entirely resemble her favorite company's brand.

mjmacky
11-05-2013, 08:05 AM
They warned us that once we permit the gays to marry, we'd eventually permit man-goat unions.

Other things Bob's wife loves more than him:
Empty Campbells cans
Intestinal worms
Goats
Grass
Dirt
Goats
Urine
Goats
Goats
Goats

megabyteme
11-05-2013, 06:58 PM
Word is Bigasoft is planning a merger with Bob's wife's company Wetaloose. Analists are skeptical of success.

Artemis
11-29-2013, 10:08 PM
Word is Bigasoft is planning a merger with Bob's wife's company Wetaloose. Analists are skeptical of success.

If you actually saw a weta, you would be quite scared if it was loose, Meg. :blink:

nrdani
11-30-2013, 01:18 AM
As far as i know, it's impossible to remove from avis, maybe you can try to encode it to a different format, since avi is just a container. I use MediaCoder, you could try that it has a sub-remove feature :)

megabyteme
11-30-2013, 01:54 AM

If you actually saw a weta, you would be quite scared if it was loose, Meg. :blink:

Holy Hell, Art. At first, I was like, "Yeah, we got crickets here. They're kinda ugly. Blah." Then I saw pictures of them in comparison to a human hand. Unless you've all got tiny hands down there, ICK!

https://www.google.com/search?q=weta&espv=210&es_sm=122&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=TESZUsayKYjuoATRi4CQCQ&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1920&bih=954

mjmacky
11-30-2013, 03:03 PM

I know most of Art's posts involve crickets, but visual confirmation is sometimes magical.