PDA

View Full Version : So, got a message from giganews today.

mbucari1
03-20-2008, 02:03 AM
Giganews has received Notice from a copyright owner, or its Agent, that you, or someone using your account, have posted copies of unauthorized copyrighted material. Stop immediately.

Please review our Terms and Conditions, which you agreed to at the time you signed up for service with Giganews (http://www.giganews.com/info/terms.html).

Posting copyrighted material to Giganews' servers without the permission of the copyright holder, violates our Terms of Service, and subjects your account to immediate cancellation and forfeiture of any pre-paid money remaining on your account.

You will not receive any further notice should you, or anyone using your account, again post copyrighted materials without permission of the copyright holder. Your account will be canceled the moment we get notice that additional materials have been posted.

This is your only and last warning. Stop posting copyrighted materials to Giganews' servers or your account will be canceled without further notice.

We have suspended the posting privileges on your account. We will consider reactivating posting privileges only after you reaffirm, in a clear, unqualified, and unambiguous manner, your future compliance with the Terms of Service for Giganews service, and that no further unauthorized and/or infringing copyrighted material will be posted to our servers through your account.

We must receive a reply of compliance within 3 days from the date of this email or we may further consider your Giganews account for a permanent posting restriction, or account termination at our discretion.

Sincerely,
Giganews DMCA Team

What should I do?

The reason I'm so concerned is because I have so much more stuff posted. Should I just cancel and sign up with another bank account?

fugazi26
03-20-2008, 02:36 AM
Switch providers.

mbucari1
03-20-2008, 03:10 AM
Switch providers.
Interesting.

the phrase "no way in hell" comes to mind.

I'll create a new credit card account before I do that.

SgtMajor
03-20-2008, 03:22 AM
Switch providers.
Interesting.

Just make sure you are ready with a new card when they do switch you off, as they will do shortly, and then get another card ready so you are not caught short the next time.

I'm on my *th account, never changed my name or address yet! :P

Skiz
03-20-2008, 03:25 AM
Switch providers.
Interesting.

That will achieve little or no results whatsoever. Almost certainly it is your provider who is monitoring what you're uploading. Thus, any new account with Giganews would be a moot point.

SgtMajor
03-20-2008, 03:39 AM
Interesting.

That will achieve little or no results whatsoever. Almost certainly it is your provider who is monitoring what you're uploading. Thus, any new account with Giganews would be a moot point.

No it won't be his provider, no way of knowing if he was using SSL anyway, provider won't care, and what if it was off a seedbox to NGs?

It will be some guy in a suit grabbing & reading the headers of what was posted and reporting that fact to giganews.

mbucari1
03-20-2008, 03:59 AM
Yeah, it was a message from the BSA in response to some software I uploaded. It wasn't the provider monitoring.

MultiForce
03-20-2008, 12:39 PM
What about buying a block account somewhere and use that for uploading?

The last provider I wanna loose is Giganews (I guess I'll get a mail like this some day anyway).

mbucari1
03-20-2008, 01:04 PM
Someone PMed me about the block account option, but I don't want to pay extra money just to upload for others. I'll just stick to downloading :\

MultiForce
03-20-2008, 01:06 PM
I just thought you could pay for 10GB (download) or something that never expires and just use it for uploading.

Beck38
03-20-2008, 07:43 PM
I just thought you could pay for 10GB (download) or something that never expires and just use it for uploading.

Exactly; I've had a couple that are well over 8+ years old, still going 'strong'. A couple others outlived the companies!

SgtMajor
03-20-2008, 08:14 PM

Exactly; I've had a couple that are well over 8+ years old, still going 'strong'. A couple others outlived the companies!

I hear that Astra are good for that? ;)

UsenetGuy
03-21-2008, 04:46 PM
Get a cheap block account, you just pay once and get unlimited posting forever (aslong as you don't use up your download limit).

Go with a provider that does not include an X-Trace in the post body, that's an encrypted line that tells what account posted the files (can only be read by your nsp). I believe octanews offer block accounts and don't include X-Trace lines, if they get contacted about the post being copyrighted or whatever then it doesn't matter because they wont know what account posted it ;)

They say that line is only there for identifying spam, bullshit! If they don't keep logs, how else would they know YOU posted it? :P

X-Trace: DXC=<59oN9HMKfZ[3>fhUe^HC[L?0kYOcDh@ZIU\6ZXKYMRV^;3^WXhHLU]Pi65;RHJZF_HGnIL59f3KX[ekQ`BdXEg^ <-- Example from GigaNews post.

mbucari1
03-23-2008, 04:00 AM
They say that line is only there for identifying spam, bullshit! If they don't keep logs, how else would they know YOU posted it? :P
Um, I think the say they don't log downloads, not uploads.

Giganews does not track the specific articles you download (unless required by law); however, we will track the volume of your downloads for account maintenance and download limit enforcement purposes (if applicable).
All Usenet posts posted through any of Giganews' global Usenet clusters are tagged with an "XTrace" identification tag in the header. This tag is an internal tag which Giganews can use internally to identify the person who has posted any article through our servers. We use this information to identify abusers and to help control Spam.
Giganews does not release any member information, for any reason, unless specific information is identified and requested by court order. We invite you to review our Privacy Policy (http://www.giganews.com/comps/privacy.html).

http://www.giganews.com/faq.html#q4.1

zot
04-03-2008, 09:03 AM
Giganews, like all NSPs, is just doing what they have to do to cover themselves in case they were to ever get sued. They get more of those notices than they can possibly count, and just pass them on electronically. Does anyone really think they personally care if you post copyrighted files? The fact is they'd be out of business if people ever stopped. :)

The best way to post is to have a separate posting account. www.Usenet-news.net sells blocks for only $2 that never expire and have no posting limit. Basically a lifetime of posting for only $2.

ericab
04-06-2008, 12:04 AM
Giganews, like all NSPs, is just doing what they have to do to cover themselves in case they were to ever get sued. They get more of those notices than they can possibly count, and just pass them on electronically. Does anyone really think they personally care if you post copyrighted files? The fact is they'd be out of business if people ever stopped. :)

The best way to post is to have a separate posting account. www.Usenet-news.net (http://www.Usenet-news.net) sells blocks for only $2 that never expire and have no posting limit. Basically a lifetime of posting for only $2.

thanks, ZOT

i now have a uploading acct with usenet-news.
:fst: