PDA

View Full Version : Office Xp Constantly Asks For Installation Disk

Roosh
08-04-2003, 07:39 PM
I've been wondering why my Microsoft Word asks for my Office XP installation disk every single time I open a .doc even though I've installed and reinstalled several times. Very frustrating.
All I can think of is that I originally chose not to install every program in the Office Suite, but I did fully install word...

shareshareshare
08-04-2003, 07:59 PM
Check which programs you did not install. Reinstall Office, this time making sure to check each option closely

boyzeee
08-04-2003, 08:12 PM
uninstall it and restart, or it has a repair option, it shouldnt need activating again why you not fully install anyway? anyway this should be in software, not really kazaa related :D

hopalong
08-04-2003, 11:28 PM
Is it asking for a specific file? Office Xp keeps a couple of files it uses in folders that are often cleared by disk cleanup software. If it is asking for a certain file tell me and I will look into it. If it is, just put the disk back in and install the file and switch clean-up software. I reccomend Window washer

balamm
08-05-2003, 12:15 AM
If you chose "install most common components", then some specialized components may be set to run from disk as default. Look a bit farther down on the installation GUI and you'll see install complete. Pick out what you don't want later.

Roosh
08-05-2003, 08:26 PM
Thanks for the feedback :) -- I'll try an uninstall and then install everything, just to be sure.

Roosh
08-14-2003, 04:06 PM
:angry: <_< http://www.click-smilie.de/sammlung/sauer/angry-smiley-055.gif http://www.click-smilie.de/sammlung/sauer/angry-smiley-035.gif

Since my last post, I reinstalled, and again, in an effort to save space and avoid installing prgrams I was sure I wouldn&#39;t use, only installed word, excel & powerpoint.
Anyway, the issue has been sporadic in that sometimes I can open an existing word doc without the required installation of something or other from the installation disc, but the latest is different: when I open an existing doc, it prepares to install something, asks for the disc, then says it isn&#39;t valid and asks for PROPLUS.msi which apparently it can&#39;t find on the disc and definitely isn&#39;t in the Office folder in Prog. Files.

This is REALLY aggravating. Is it a corrupt installation disc? I&#39;m thinking of downloading a different version.
You know honestly, I just want to have frickin&#39; Word at my disposal -- that&#39;s all I use&#33; I can just get those tiny excel & powerpoint alternatives from Microsoft...Do I really need all this? Is there a way to just get word?

Thanks for the input. ;)

Roosh
08-14-2003, 07:00 PM
THIS IS TOO WEIRD&#33;&#33;

Now Windows asks for the Office XP installation disk when I open Monkey&#39;s Audio. It repeatedly returns after pressing cancel until I use the Windows Task manager...

WTF?

Roosh
08-14-2003, 11:07 PM
Now opening "MP3Gain" is doing the same thing.
I&#39;m just going to uninstall office, but could really use some advice on what to do in general regarding these issues...

Thanks.

Supernode
08-14-2003, 11:45 PM
1. It&#39;s a bug from the xpoffice.
2. Or its the regcleaner?
3. The c++ code is fucked
¤. The Win xp is a big fucking bug

Roosh
08-14-2003, 11:56 PM
Fuck off, dude.

Supernode
08-15-2003, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by Roosh@15 August 2003 - 00:56
Fuck off, dude.
Why?
I&#39;m telling the trouth.
help me some real people.
I have to get evidence.

Roosh
08-15-2003, 12:06 AM
What&#39;s the point of racking up posts at a forum you&#39;re probably going to get banned from? :huh: :blink: :rolleyes:

Supernode
08-15-2003, 12:22 AM
I told you my experiece.
I&#39;m sorry if they didnt work.
nothing else.
Sorry.
Dont be angry,.,
But you are wrong

balamm
08-15-2003, 12:35 AM
There is a problem with office XP. I&#39;m not sure if it&#39;s intentional or accidental but it&#39;s linked to more than one windows update hotfix.
The only way to get around it is to install the entire office package through a terminal services mode install using add remove programs directed to a desktop folder containing the entire Office XP CD and the 2 updates. In your case, proplus.msi is reported as missing. In most cases , it&#39;s office1.cab. Something in those hotfixes makes highly compressed CD files unreadable. At least for MS programs. I think it may be a protection feature that has failed miserably and then been swept under the rug.

Roosh
08-15-2003, 03:14 AM
through a terminal services mode install using add remove programs directed to a desktop folder containing the entire Office XP CD and the 2 updatesI don&#39;t follow you here.

Again, considering that I only have use for Word, is there a way to just install that or forget the Office XP disc I&#39;ve got altogether and download it on it&#39;s own from somewhere else?

balamm
08-15-2003, 03:27 AM
Just install it all and then pick the rest out. That way, at least all required libraries and .dlls will remain for word. Terminal services is a protected install mode used for corporate workstations and servers. You can duplicate it using the add/remove programs snapin in the control panel. Just go to "add new program" and when it asks for the file location, browse to the desktop folder you copied all the CD files to. Choose "complete install" rather than typical, apply the 2 service packs in the same way, and then go back to add/remove and start the install again but this time choose modify. Now you can safely remove the major items you don&#39;t need but all the libraries needed by word should remain in a common folder to be used by word and other programs. There&#39;s an alternative to word altogether, star office. I won&#39;t guarantee it&#39;s compatable with all MS formats though and You may not like the menus.