PDA

View Full Version : About FST Server Errors and Problems

rookiecrd1
03-20-2008, 06:27 PM
The reason for the downtime and now the "secured connection" messages, and various issues that have been going on along with that is because FST has been under a massive DDOS attack for the last 2 weeks. We are working on things trying our best to get them under control, however the attacks have been extremely large.

Note that ddos protection is extremely expensive, thus we are trying our best to stay within our means so that the site doesn't lose a ton of money, however we will try our best to find the best solution even if we have to reach deeper into our pockets.

Please bare with us

Thank you
Brian

Mr JP Fugley
03-20-2008, 06:49 PM
Who do you think is doing this and do you have any idea why.

RealitY
03-20-2008, 06:55 PM
Would be nothing more than speculation at this point. There are some theories but nothing that we know for sure so not much point in getting into this. Weve checked into a couple things but havent found much of anything. For now unless whos responsible comes forward there isnt much to say about this...

grimms
03-20-2008, 07:09 PM
Well thanks to the board owner for letting us in on what is happening. Now staff just have to find out who.

Mr JP Fugley
03-20-2008, 07:13 PM
Would be nothing more than speculation at this point. There are some theories but nothing that we know for sure so not much point in getting into this. Weve checked into a couple things but havent found much of anything. For now unless whos responsible comes forward there isnt much to say about this...

Thanks for that

Disme
03-20-2008, 07:19 PM
A DDOS attack almost never originates from the equipment from the one behind it.

It's mostly a incredible amount of zombie-machines that have been infected that conduct the 'attack'. If it's a smart guy you'll never find him.

Happens to torrent-trackers all the time. Could be an unhappy (banned) member or another jealous invite-board or just some script-kiddie that is bored and wants some action.

Hope it ends soon.
Good luck to the admins in these times of crysis.

:fst:

rookiecrd1
03-20-2008, 07:25 PM
Yes, how they basically work is a virus is planted on hundreds, or thousands of pcs and the attacker can pretty much send all those pcs to a server to overload it.

Cabalo
03-20-2008, 08:14 PM
amazing they bother attack sites that actually help people and don't take nothing from them.

skishoe
03-20-2008, 08:14 PM
do you pay rossco or he does everything for free ?

tesco
03-20-2008, 08:19 PM
do you pay rossco or he does everything for free ?"Free" ;)

kloot
03-20-2008, 08:49 PM
Thanks a lot for the update guys. As a staff member on another webforum, I can't imagine how frustrating it must be to have to put up with ddos attacks as well as running the forum every day.

People are so inconsiderate sometimes. It's probably some kid with no life trying to get a kick out of other peoples misfortune. Good luck with getting rid of the problem, I doubt it will be an easy task. :(

Mr JP Fugley
03-20-2008, 09:26 PM
http://www.grc.com/sn/SN-008.pdf

This is interesting and explains the type of attack, it's a bit old but quite clear. It can be read or listened to.

tesco
03-20-2008, 09:58 PM
http://www.grc.com/sn/SN-008.pdf

This is interesting and explains the type of attack, it's a bit old but quite clear. It can be read or listened to.Very good explanation.

Mr JP Fugley
03-20-2008, 10:02 PM
http://www.grc.com is a good site for anyone interested in security, data recovery etc.

There's a lot of free checks and stuff which will help you identify problems with your security setup. There's even the option to switch off unsafe settings and close vulnerable ports if need be.

Try the Shields-Up test for example

peat moss
03-20-2008, 11:17 PM
I certainly appreciate Rookie coming on here and explaining the troubles were having , for now I shut down Utorrent 1.7.7 when browsing here and seems faster , Are they related or I'm just being anal ?

tesco
03-20-2008, 11:26 PM
I certainly appreciate Rookie coming on here and explaining the troubles were having , for now I shut down Utorrent 1.7.7 when browsing here and seems faster , Are they related or I'm just being anal ?Everything is faster with uTorrent closed.:lol:

peat moss
03-21-2008, 12:30 AM
I certainly appreciate Rookie coming on here and explaining the troubles were having , for now I shut down Utorrent 1.7.7 when browsing here and seems faster , Are they related or I'm just being anal ?Everything is faster with uTorrent closed.:lol:

Smart ass ! :lol: I just noticed this week as I hav n't changed anything with my setup .

Hairbautt
03-21-2008, 01:54 AM
Good to know. Been wonderin' what the hell is goin' on.

grimms
03-21-2008, 06:39 AM
I certainly appreciate Rookie coming on here and explaining the troubles were having , for now I shut down Utorrent 1.7.7 when browsing here and seems faster , Are they related or I'm just being anal ?

Definitely. Also uTorrent at times, tends to slow your computer down tremendously. Gotta close it once and while. I could learn from you peat (Now I have to just execute).;)

Thanks again staff.

deuce6000
03-21-2008, 04:40 PM
Man the internet is full of assholes.I don't see why people would waste what is left of there useless lives doing stuff like that.So damn annoying that people can hide behind shit and act like that.

Also for browsing while uploading/downloading at full speed you guys should really try using cfosforspeed it is available on a lot of different torrent sites.It works great for me and makes browsing so much faster while torrenting.I was a skeptic at first too but it really does work.The newest version is something like 4.20 but 4.06.1353 works the best for me.

grimms
03-21-2008, 10:15 PM
Also for browsing while uploading/downloading at full speed you guys should really try using cfosforspeed it is available on a lot of different torrent sites.It works great for me and makes browsing so much faster while torrenting.I was a skeptic at first too but it really does work.The newest version is something like 4.20 but 4.06.1353 works the best for me.

Thanks man I'll try it out.

Nemrod
03-22-2008, 05:44 AM

If I may Iīd like to correct you, thatīs not the program correct name.
Itīs: cFosSpeed. Last version is 4.20 indeed.

If somebody tries to Google it he wonīt find anything but this thread. :lol:
(http://www.cfos.de/order/speed_multi_e.htm)

TheFoX
03-22-2008, 10:41 PM
Explains why it's almost impossible to surf FST. Keep getting proxy errors...

Skiz
03-22-2008, 11:14 PM
I haven't had a single error since the board came back up, tho' I see a lot of other members are.

I guess I'm just lucky... :idunno:

Sawyer2020
03-23-2008, 02:07 AM
I haven't had a single error since the board came back up, tho' I see a lot of other members are.

yes u r and we all get same problem
so can I ask if FST use some kind of proxy now :huh:

deuce6000
03-23-2008, 08:25 AM
If I may Iīd like to correct you, thatīs not the program correct name.
Itīs: cFosSpeed. Last version is 4.20 indeed.

If somebody tries to Google it he wonīt find anything but this thread. :lol:
(http://www.cfos.de/order/speed_multi_e.htm)

Oops my bad dude and thanks for the correction

grimms
03-24-2008, 05:14 AM

Oh yea. Bad Requests, Proxy Errors, Forbidden Messages, and I just had a log in wait 15 minutes error and had to get my password reset by the forum administrator. So your definitely one of the lucky ones(It will all be fixed soon, not like you didn't already know that, this is directed towards all non fst staff members).;)

rookiecrd1
03-25-2008, 02:37 AM
Things should be fine now. If Not Please let us know.

Brian